Project Runway - Season 11 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Project Runway - Season 11

heyang

Record Breaker
I think Patricia and Samantha's dress would've been better if the inside of the skirt hadn't been silver - reminded me too much of a bell. I also thought that the front was just a touch too high in the front - kinda risky dancing in it.

I think the winner won because of their patterning with the duct tape - that's where they really excelled IMHO.

I was surprised by the double elimination, partly because Kate had done some nice work and I would've thought they'd give her a 2nd chance.

As soon as those ruffles were put on the gold dress, I said 'dated' in my head. LOL - my 11 yr old niece actually liked the gold dress. Her least favorite was Patricia/Sam's.

My mid-twenties friend said that strictly as prom dresses, the long one done by the two eliminated designers was one of her favorites, and the gold ruffled one came close. So your niece seems to be onto something. I agree with you about the length of the front of the skirt of Patricia and Samantha's dress. I didn't particularly mind the inside of the skirt, but you make a good point. I thought that everyone did a splendid job of manipulating the tape, and I was impressed by the variety of shapes in the winning looks. Really inspiring.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad that Amanda got the boot. All of the women on Amanda's team were sure quiet in front of the judges. All of their designs were just terrible.

heyang

Record Breaker
I was glad there was no winner this week. Both teams did a really poor job from a design perspective and execution.

It was fun watching Nina Garcia breathless with laughter.

This challenge really failed when you compare to Th Christian S/Chris M/Jillian season when they designed for GLOW. They really understood the challenge.

I imagine it must be very hard to tailor menswear, but I was rather surprised that even the guys had no grasp on tailoring. I mean, I know they wear avant-garde clothing, but surely they have at least one suit and a trench coat. Were they told to do officewear? I missed the first part of the show.

What this reminded me of, more than the GLOW, was the far more successful challenge back in Season 2 when the designers had to dress each other, and Chloe Dao made a smashing suit for Nick Verreos. She said it was her first time doing menswear. So I guess it is possible.

Nina was a hoot, wasn't she? The guys were so good-tempered and easygoing; I hope none of them had to wear any of the clothing designed this week.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Zac said it so well, they make women's clothing so it wasn't like they didn't know how to make pants (slacks) & blouses (shirts). I think they just weren't thinking. Olympia, I thought Chloe did a great job for Nick too. Nick was the only one who was familiar with men's clothing and remember he made the suit for Daniel and got eliminated. I don't think I've ever seen such horrible designs as I have with these designers. Remeber the first gal that was sent home. That could have been something I would have put together in a day but I'm not a designer nor had any training.

I thought the Down Under guys were really nice too...they offered excuses for the designers.

heyang

Record Breaker
I imagine it must be very hard to tailor menswear, but I was rather surprised that even the guys had no grasp on tailoring. I mean, I know they wear avant-garde clothing, but surely they have at least one suit and a trench coat. Were they told to do officewear? I missed the first part of the show.

What this reminded me of, more than the GLOW, was the far more successful challenge back in Season 2 when the designers had to dress each other, and Chloe Dao made a smashing suit for Nick Verreos. She said it was her first time doing menswear. So I guess it is possible.

Nina was a hoot, wasn't she? The guys were so good-tempered and easygoing; I hope none of them had to wear any of the clothing designed this week.

Actually owning tailored clothing does not mean that you know how to construct tailored clothing. Constructing and draping flowy dresses is much more forgiving. Pants are always hard to do correctly because butt size, thighs and calves and length = being pretty darn specific when cutting.

They weren't told to do officewear - just that it had to be a collection and be able to tear off. Most to the designers didn't want to do a YMCA collection of cop, construction worker, fire fighter, cowboy. Business man theme seem to come to mind as more 'surprising'.

I thought GLOW was hugely successful. Rami's pepto bismal pink outfit was the worst of what ended up being the top4.

I didn't think season 2's make an out fit for another was that good overall. Chloe made a great outfit for Nick. However, the judges thought that Daniel made Chloe look old. Santino practically made his own outfit, but the outfit he made for the other designer was a horrid cat suit. and Nick made Daniel a suit?

I remember that cat suit that Kara had to wear. Fortunately, she is svelte and looks good in anything. Chloe was the undisputed champ of that evening's challenge, though Daniel V. was good at tailoring, as I recall. I liked his work very much all the way through and kind of wanted him to win.

I liked Santino a lot better later, when he and Austin Scarlet had that show where they went across the country making dresses for ordinary people. Santino, who prided himself on being obnoxious and profane on PR, was surprisingly warm and respectful with his clients. I just loved that show because of the way the ladies--all ages, shapes, sizes--were treated.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved Stanley & Patricia's clothes. The top Patricia made was wonderful. I think that it was open in the back, it just flowed so nicely. Stanley dress was simple but elegant. I hope Layana grows up before the end of the show. :laugh: :laugh: Layana and Michelle are soooo bossy and just plain witchy. Now that they are picking on Richard, they're leaving Patricia alone. I respect Stanley for saying he learned some things from Patricia. It's nice that Michelle won with her dress but it was the Tim who basically said ...what are you doing and she changed her look. I am not sure at this time who will win, who really stands out????

There's no one who stands out to me the way, say, Mondo, Anthony Ryan, or Christian Syriano did. Patricia is interesting because she comes from a different tradition, that of fiber art rather than tailoring. Michelle is good, and I think Stanley has been my favorite of the guys. But there's no star that I can see.

There's no standout star to me. No one seems to have that star quality that Christian, Mondo, Anya, or Austin had. Patricia is interesting because she comes from a different branch of clothes-making, being a fiber artist. I think both Michelle and Stanley are excellent. They're still interesting to watch, but I don't sense the command that many competitors from earlier seasons had. Still, we don't know the pressures caused by the endless team-ups. Maybe one of them is a future star. It's always fun to watch, though!

heyang

Record Breaker
I loved Stanley & Patricia's clothes. The top Patricia made was wonderful. I think that it was open in the back, it just flowed so nicely. Stanley dress was simple but elegant. I hope Layana grows up before the end of the show. :laugh: :laugh: Layana and Michelle are soooo bossy and just plain witchy. Now that they are picking on Richard, they're leaving Patricia alone. I respect Stanley for saying he learned some things from Patricia. It's nice that Michelle won with her dress but it was the Tim who basically said ...what are you doing and she changed her look. I am not sure at this time who will win, who really stands out????

I was surprised that Patricia and Stanley weren't the winning team. I also thought Patricia's top was wonderful. While Stanley's wasn't a standout from a design perspective, it was so much better made than the pink dress. I was glad that Patricia and Stanley got over their initial tension. I think Patricia realized what Stanley was trying to say to her when Tim pointed out that the entire production cost of the outfit had to be what she thought each piece would cost. Things seemed to settle down afterwards and they were able to listen to each other. I also though Patricia's and Stanley's looked like a collection whereas Michele and her partner's did not go together at all.

TIm's comments saved Michele - that vest she was making was not Spring. I think the dress also showed that she's more than biker chic.

I'd be saying poor Richard more if Layana and Michelle's comments weren't somewhat legitimate. Oh, and I also agreed with the judges that Layana's print did end up looking 'old' even with the leather.

I think Patricia gets 'flack' because many of her initial looks were based upon the textile design vs the actual design of the garment. Because she spends so much time re-working the fabric, her vision isn't always completed well which is to the detriment of the team. Without that concern, I don't think her team mates would be as concerned.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glad Stanley's dress won the competition and not Michelle. I couldn't believe Layana's attitude. I'm glad the judges saw through Layana. I loved, loved Daniel's outfit, especially the jacket.

heyang

Record Breaker
Glad Stanley's dress won the competition and not Michelle. I couldn't believe Layana's attitude. I'm glad the judges saw through Layana. I loved, loved Daniel's outfit, especially the jacket.

I agree with everything you wrote...

I think Stanley won because the looks matched because of his ideas. He designed the casual look and the bubble wrap skirt on the avant garde look was his idea. If the whole avant garde look had just been Michelle's, she would've won.

Definitely turned of by Layana this week. Other than being his 'muse', what did she contribute to his outfit? She gave him less than a yard of their print. That jacket was exquisitely made. Her dress was a hot mess and likely would've been worse if he hadn't gotten her together. WHile I understand that she can be under a lot of stress, it's not a though the judges haven't questioned her 'freshness' - they didn't like her choice of textile last week.

I didn't get why the judges liked Patricia's outfit. It looked like a mummy unraveling IMHO. I also thought the textile was the least interesting. WHile it was time for Richard to go, I felt bad for him because Patricia couldnt' communicate her concept to him well enough for him to come up with something that would make them look like a collection.

At this point, top 3 should be Stanley, Michelle and Patricia. I'd be ok with either Stanley or Michelle winning.

I have to say that I liked Layana's outfit. It appealed to me more than the other two avant-garde conceptual dresses. I liked both Richard's and Daniel's ready to wear outfits.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was hoping that they would have sent Michelle home. I am not very happy that they didn't.

You know that toward the end of the run, they often do some kind of sudden-death playoff. Remember the year that Rami and Chris March had to show their final collections to see which one got to the final runway show?

Amazing how the judges think of Patricia. They really see something in her. I don't know how she would survive in the actual fashion business; she's really an off-the-grid fiber artist, which is a whole different outlook. For my money, it's Stanley who should win the whole thing. Michelle and Daniel have moments of "wow," but Stanley has the consistency and the real feel for what's amazing. Layana is excellent as well.