Senior Short Dance (U.S. Nationals) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Senior Short Dance (U.S. Nationals)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ah, the discussion is balanced now.

So now it's gloom and doom to get level 4 on all but one element as well as get the second highest grade of execution and PCS of this segment....?

As I said, the other teams have gotten better, which is a good thing. It's good that that U.S. Dance has several contenders to help keep three spots for ice dance. That's a much better situation than the other disciplines where we have to guess who will come through on any given night.

The FD is going to be great! I actually like the FD of all the top couples.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hope the Shibutani's are knocked off the podium. Just too boring and their stock is only declining Internationally anyway. Alex needs a new partner. Maia on the other hand, sorry she is just not that good.

didn't she hold him up in CO last year at 4CC? seems to me they're well matched.

They don't need new partners - they need a new coach. Either Igor or someone entirely new. Zoueva has no time for them.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I hope that the Shibs go back to Igor. They are technically wonderful and if they continue with that I think the artistic piece could fall into place.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Hubbell & Donahue will probably split after missing the World team this year. So sad. Couldnt care less about the Shibutanis one way or the other so dont care what they do.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
didn't she hold him up in CO last year at 4CC? seems to me they're well matched.

They don't need new partners - they need a new coach. Either Igor or someone entirely new. Zoueva has no time for them.

I think they would benefit great going to Igor, not just for the tech, but I would love to see what Marina Klimova could do with them. I really like her coaching style.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice

He screws up a lot more than her but I think he is a much better skater and more watchable. Maia on the other hand, goodness I don't think I have ever seen a close-to-top level female skater that boring and stiff. She needs some ballet or yoga or pilates or something to get her to be more fluid and graceful. As of right now she can't hold a candle to those Russian chicks. And as much as we like to think otherwise, physical appearance is a big part of the equation when it comes to female ice dancers.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think maybe the Shibs need to break up and find other partners. They are limited to what they can skate too. Plus Maia needs to go beyond portraying herself as the wholesome niceness princess and take some chances.

ummm no. It would take years to replicate the partnering at work here. They are clearly so in tune with the way the other moves, thinks.
I think their FD this year is great, his injury held them back a bit at the start...and their SD just didn't work. Did they start from scratch with a new one on that? Maia isn't as much the little Orphan Annie goody two shoes as you make her out to be. She knows how to work those stunning eyes of hers and i've seen her do so. She's grown up quite a bit the past year/ year and a half.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
He screws up a lot more than her but I think he is a much better skater and more watchable. Maia on the other hand, goodness I don't think I have ever seen a close-to-top level female skater that boring and stiff. She needs some ballet or yoga or pilates or something to get her to be more fluid and graceful. As of right now she can't hold a candle to those Russian chicks. And as much as we like to think otherwise, physical appearance is a big part of the equation when it comes to female ice dancers.

I think Maia is quite beautiful. I think the challenge is that like many other Asian girls, Maia looks young for her age. I'm 30 years old and people still ask me what I'm studying in college. And when I was 24 or 25, people were asking me if I was writing for the teen section for the the newspaper I work for now. Alex also looks young for his age, so though they are quite mature technically and even personally (Alex always jokes that Maia is a 30 year old in an 18 year old's body and she speaks like one too), they still look young and I think that hurts them in the PCS category.

I don't really agree that Maia is that stiff. She has great lines and extension and I love that she doesn't flail her arms during the dances but is quite intentional in how she uses them.

Last edited:

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Hubbell & Donahue will probably split after missing the World team this year. So sad. Couldnt care less about the Shibutanis one way or the other so dont care what they do.
This is only their second season together. Why on earth would they split?

Honestly, I have no idea what the Shibs did to inspire such rage but I'm now hoping with every fiber of my being they place second and top 5 at worlds.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice

Honestly, I have no idea what the Shibs did to inspire such rage but I'm now hoping with every fiber of my being they place second and top 5 at worlds.
Top 5 at worlds? Absolutely no chance at that happening. They might get 8th if they are spot on.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I don't get it either. They've had a target on their back since getting that bronze medal and it hasn't let up since. But I think it's just a few people who seem to actively dislike them as opposed to the fan base as a whole. On the contrary, I think they are actually quite well-respected -- I mean seriously how many times has their videos been replayed at various skating events?!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Maia is quite beautiful. I think the challenge is that like many other Asian girls, Maia looks young for her age. I'm 30 years old and people still ask me what I'm studying in college. And when I was 24 or 25, people were asking me if I was writing for the teen section for the the newspaper I work for now. Alex also looks young for his age, so though they are quite mature technically and even personally (Alex always jokes that Maia is a 30 year old in an 18 year old's body and she speaks like one too), they still look young and I think that hurts them in the PCS category.

I don't really agree that Maia is that stiff. She has great lines and extension and I love that she doesn't flail her arms during the dances but is quite intentional in how she uses them.

:rock: couldn't have said it better myself!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I don't get it either. They've had a target on their back since getting that bronze medal and it hasn't let up since. But I think it's just a few people who seem to actively dislike them as opposed to the fan base as a whole. On the contrary, I think they are actually quite well-respected -- I mean seriously how many times has their videos been replayed at various skating events?!

They had the tenacity to skate well when the favourites faltered. That earns hatred in the world of figure skating enthusiasts.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They had the tenacity to skate well when the favourites faltered. That earns hatred in the world of figure skating enthusiasts.

Guess I should just be glad they're not getting a "Shibutanis: Most overhyped ice dancing couple ever?" thread.....

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Question! I don't normally watch ice dance, but I love both Davis/White's and Virtue/Moir's FDs this year. Anyway, what's so bad about an extended lift that it's warranted a -1.00 deduction as with the ShibSibs and V/M at Nationals?

Guess I should just be glad they're not getting a "Shibutanis: Most overhyped ice dancing couple ever?" thread.....

:laugh:

Dots

Final Flight
Fantastic! These results tell me C/B are going to worlds! :love: I have no doubt the Shibutanis will end up with the silver medal as they have one of the most beautiful Free Dances in recent memory. What joy to have so much depth in US Ice Dancing. :bow:

My heart aches for K/G-S ! I smell another 4th place!!! :cry:

H/D another great team that somehow lost their momentum during the gp.

Can't wait for the final!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Question! I don't normally watch ice dance, but I love both Davis/White's and Virtue/Moir's FDs this year. Anyway, what's so bad about an extended lift that it's warranted a -1.00 deduction as with the ShibSibs and V/M at Nationals?

It was too long. Basically the Shibs were borderline, but I can see why they called it too long. Same with V/M.

emma

Record Breaker
This is the first time I'm seeing the Shibs SD...and for the most part, I quite liked it. And, I really don't see Maia as stiff either...and personally, find her quite lovely to watch. What I did dislike was the costume, particularly the headband/tiara thingy...I think that somehow made her look as if she were playing a little girl playing a princess (of course, I never loved Navka's headbands much either, so perhaps this is just my peculiar perspective).

gmyers

Record Breaker
It was too long. Basically the Shibs were borderline, but I can see why they called it too long. Same with V/M.

I think the question was why is it so bad to deserve a minus one deduction? The skaters are violating the time limit on lifts but why have such a penalty? Are they doing an illegal feat of strength or something?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the question was why is it so bad to deserve a minus one deduction? The skaters are violating the time limit on lifts but why have such a penalty? Are they doing an illegal feat of strength or something?

Sometimes it's just a matter of how quickly they are rotating or the timing.