Senior Short Dance (U.S. Nationals) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Senior Short Dance (U.S. Nationals)

Dots

Final Flight
This is the first time I'm seeing the Shibs SD...and for the most part, I quite liked it. And, I really don't see Maia as stiff either...and personally, find her quite lovely to watch. What I did dislike was the costume, particularly the headband/tiara thingy...I think that somehow made her look as if she were playing a little girl playing a princess (of course, I never loved Navka's headbands much either, so perhaps this is just my peculiar perspective).

I really do think their packaging is somewhat off. Like how can their coaches not notice their costumes are completely wrong? (the SD I mean). It makes her look completely inadequate, and he looks stiff.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And Mrs. P, is -1.00 the standard deduction for an extended lift?
In other words, if the lift indeed exceeded the time limit, the Shibutanis are not being penalized unfairly, are they?

In any case, I hope the Shibs will skate a strong FD.

@MaiaShibutani
Proud of our SD performance. On to the FD! Good luck to the men tonight! Thanks for all the support! :) #Omaha2013
5:27 PM - 25 Jan 13​

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Sometimes it's just a matter of how quickly they are rotating or the timing.

Yes but like the negative one is assuming that the lift was too long because the dancers really forgot what they were doing in a really flawed way and not just that it went a little long.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And Mrs. P, is -1.00 the standard deduction for an extended lift?
In other words, if the lift indeed exceeded the time limit, the Shibutanis are not being penalized unfairly, are they?

In any case, I hope they will skate a strong FD.

@MaiaShibutani
Proud of our SD performance. On to the FD! Good luck to the men tonight! Thanks for all the support! :) #Omaha2013
5:27 PM - 25 Jan 13​

Yes -1 is typical for an extended lift. It's nothing to worry about -- it's a matter of reining it in and making sure your timing isn't off...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes but like the negative one is assuming that the lift was too long because the dancers really forgot what they were doing in a really flawed way and not just that it went a little long.

Not really. As I said, I think it was borderline. They'll just work to pay more careful attention next time.

I still don't understand the rationale for the rule that says a lift can't be too long. Why does the CoP insist that a lift can only be held for a certain amount of time?

riceplate

On the Ice
Are they even past Skate America level/capacity? If they can't boost the attendance at the event, might as well boost the scores!
Meryl and Charlie's SD http://youtu.be/r3AI2sqbX-E

Not keen on their free dance, but of all the programs this season, Meryl and Charlie's Giselle is my fave in any discipline. EXCELENTE! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I still don't understand the rationale for the rule that says a lift can't be too long. Why does the CoP insist that a lift can only be held for a certain amount of time?

I think to cut down on teams that were only good on lifts.

xzchief

Rinkside

This is ice dance not pairs skating. The ISU wants to differentiate. Lifters, go that way.

chloepoco

Medalist
I hope the Shibutani's come back strong tomorrow!! After Davis and White, they are my favorite ice dancing team :)

herios

Medalist
Hubbell & Donahue will probably split after missing the World team this year. So sad. Couldnt care less about the Shibutanis one way or the other so dont care what they do.

What are you smoking? They won't split. They just got together less than 2 years ago

herios

Medalist
Lifts are only a highlight in a dance. Pure dance doesn't even have lifts (see ballroom rules).

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I like the Shibs, but I am personally happy for Madison Chock. Hope she and Bates get to go to Worlds. Really looking forward to the free dance!

emma

Record Breaker
For those ice dance experts, especially pre-cop, weren't lifts timed before CoP too? I somehow thought that one of the 'big deals' in dance lifts was the ability to get in to position effortlessly and quickly - do the ta da moment - then get out equally efortlessly and quickly.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
They had the tenacity to skate well when the favourites faltered. That earns hatred in the world of figure skating enthusiasts.

Frankly I think the Shibutani's should have been 3rd at 2011 Worlds even if the French didn't make that huge mistake. Their program was a pure delight, as compared to the French's being *shrug*, and they were technically stronger in several ways...

herios

Medalist
Frankly I think the Shibutani's should have been 3rd at 2011 Worlds even if the French didn't make that huge mistake. Their program was a pure delight, as compared to the French's being *shrug*, and they were technically stronger in several ways...

Not too many share your opinion, let me tell you

herios

Medalist
The Shibs were a revelation @ 2011 worlds. They have so much potential, and I can't wait to see them mature as skaters!

Hu??? says who? :confused:

I say and many others. I agree that they were a revelation of those worlds, but to say that they would have deserved a bronze even over a clean P/B is pure crap.