2013 Europeans Ladies - Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2013 Europeans Ladies - Short Program

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Lovely skates by Adelina and Carolina!

Adelina deservedly smashed her personal best. As for Adelina crashing and burning in the freeskate, I wouldn't call that quite yet. On paper she has harder jumps than Carolina and can afford a mistake or two. I think people were expecting Carolina's PCS to be way higher, but surprising the judges rewarded Adelina for a clean skate and was only 1.5 points back on PCS.

Kostner's SP was probably the most enjoyable to watch all season. Great speed and camel spins, and she's incorporated more transitions since we last saw this. The fall was unfortunate -- and I'm pretty sure those judges who gave her -2's got a talking to (since a fall is a mandatory -3 deduction in the SP). :rolleye: But otherwise a great skate. I anticipate her winning the free, but Sotnikova might outjump her.

Last edited:

galchonok1729

Rinkside
Ever since I joined this forum, I have been avoiding the competition threads, as I thought they would be full of terminology that I didn't understand. But, I strayed into this one today, and I discovered another reason for avoid them!

For (Triple-)Flip Sake! This isn’t a competition thread. This is a “slag off the Russian teenagers” thread!

OK, so the descriptions of the routines are very useful, as were the complaints about losing pictures on the live streams. But, the number of comments criticising the Russian girls is getting ridiculous.

Like, before the competition even started, some people were saying “Oh, Adelina’s going to crack up today”. So, what does she do? She goes out and wins the Short Programme! :biggrin: But instead of congratulating her, these people were saying “Oh, she’ll crack up in the Free instead”

For goodness sake, give the girl a break! Adelina is one of the best young skaters we have had in recent years. So, why are some people being so critical of her? Are they jealous? Are they trying to destroy her confidence and drag her down?!

It’s the same with my beloved Liza. Although most of the criticism seems to be directed towards Adelina, Liza is also being described as a “bad skater”! What?! Have you seen her results for the past 4 or 5 years?!

I know I’ve already said this about Adelina, but Liza is also one of the best young skaters we have had in recent years!

I remember reading similar unnecessary criticism about the Russian girls before in a different thread shortly after I joined, and I replied saying:

Well, I re-iterate that here now!

Earlier on in this thread, I said:

Now, I am going to add:

LEAVE ADELINA AND LIZA ALONE!!! THEY ARE TEENAGE GIRLS - THEY NEED SUPPORT, NOT UNNECESSARY CRITICISM!!!

Skaters are not robots – they can have off-days like the rest of us. Just look at Carolina Kostner – one day she can be brilliant, but the next day she can be awful.

Skaters are not infallible – they can make mistakes. And making mistakes is not always a bad thing – it can help them learn.

Skaters are real people with real feelings.

So, please think of their feelings before you criticise them unnecessarily!

Rant over.

CaroLiza_fan

Totally agree with you. It seems sometimes that some people are so perfect themselves and never make any mistakes. I can not understand why people are so angree or may be jealous..In this thread there are more comments with the words that Adelina will melt down for sure than those comments with just congratulations to her. The girl just pulled out a great performance after a very longtime. She got a great score and she is happy with this! why not just try to be happy with her right now no matter what will happen in the LP! even if she melt down in it. It is always better to wish someone luck and to believe than critisize! It is always easy to critisize. But we will see what these beautiful talented and strong girls will reach in the future. and I guess that they will reach a lot because they work hard! and already did a lot concerning their age!just try to be more kind to people!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh, and I also agree about Carolina's horrid SP dress. The red "hands" wrapping around her waist look so garish and distracting and the skirt looks heavy and frumpy that I'm amazed it doesn't affect her jumps and spins.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Wow at Nathalie Weinzierl at 8. So the German Fed was right in sending her instead of Sarah Hecken. I'm curious if she will skate a good long program and stay in the top 10. That would be great.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Not at all, it is clear a clean Osmond will easily be several points higher than Sotnikova. You don't have to believe me, just post a new thread in the Edge with both their SP SBS and ask for people to comment. I am quite underwhelmed by Sotnikova from a PCS standpoint, she looked petrified out there until the very end when she knew she skated clean. Before then, the tension in her face and body really cut into her performance. In contrast, Osmond showed no such tension any point at all and performed to her highest level throughout. On that alone, the PCS score would have buried Stonikova alive.

To me this is wrong, wrong, wrong. Adelina is a much better skater than Kaetlyn IMO. Kaetlyn is at times sloppy and her presentation is a bit more cheerleader-like. You may be underwhelmed but Adelina is a strong spinner with interesting positions, a powerful jumper, and her choreography is difficult but not overly busy. The look of terror on someone's face should have no impact on PCS. A clean Adelina will place several points ahead of a clean Kaetlyn. Whether Kaetlyn fans agree with that statement in the Edge doesn't matter because none of them are international judges.

lavender

Record Breaker
Like, before the competition even started, some people were saying “Oh, Adelina’s going to crack up today”. So, what does she do? She goes out and wins the Short Programme! But instead of congratulating her, these people were saying “Oh, she’ll crack up in the Free instead”

I agree. These girls are only 16 and have done pretty good for themselves.

that's what I get for typing at work.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree that on their best skate, Sotnikova should beat Osmond, but not based on TES, but PCS. Osmond arguably has stronger jumps than Sotnikova in her SP. To me Osmond has one of the best 3T-3T combos -- fully rotated, lots of speed and even does transitions going into it. Her triple flip also has preceding steps and doesn't waver inside-outside-inside as Sotnikova or Mao does. And her double axel has a spread eagle entry which makes it more difficult. Sotnikova makes up for it with stronger spins. I think Osmond's jumps should earn more GOE than Sotnikova, but her PCS are deservedly lower.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I agree that on their best skate, Sotnikova should beat Osmond, but not based on TES, but PCS. Osmond arguably has stronger jumps than Sotnikova in her SP. To me Osmond has one of the best 3T-3T combos -- fully rotated, lots of speed and even does transitions going into it. Her triple flip also has preceding steps and doesn't waver inside-outside-inside as Sotnikova or Mao does. And her double axel has a spread eagle entry which makes it more difficult. Sotnikova makes up for it with stronger spins. I think Osmond's jumps should earn more GOE than Sotnikova, but her PCS are deservedly lower.

but isn't Osmond mostly a liper ?
and they both have flutz , not sure also she can rack all those GOE's on all jumps

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She has occasionally liped but is clearly capable of doing a clean 3F. Her SP at Skate Canada had a clean 3F, but her LP had one clean and one with an edge call. No edge call on her flips at Nebelhorn. No edge calls at Canadians except an 'e' on her lutz (so it's not like there was home ice lenience for her flip). She does receive edge calls on her lutz and needs to get that cleaned up.

shine

Record Breaker
Kostner is so stunning! She has the best command of the ice and the best expression of any current ladies competitor in the world, IMO. It's a real shame she lost speed on the landing of the 1st triple toe and didn't have enough snap to land the 2nd triple toe in the combination jump pass. This is hands down the best ladies SP in the world this season I believe. LOVE her musicality, the use of her arms, the always exquisite footwork. Her jumps are FIRST RATE when she hits them! :love:
Yes yes yes. There used to be a time when she didn't know what to do with her long limbs. Now they just enhance her skating so wonderfully and make her skating look sooooo big and impressive. She skates with such polish now and her extension is beautiful. Carolina in that program is simply divine!! Such musicality and joy. She has improved this program since Italian Nationals and hopefully there will be a clean performance at worlds. this is a program that I can watch over and over for years to come! :love::love::love:

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
To me this is wrong, wrong, wrong. Adelina is a much better skater than Kaetlyn IMO. Kaetlyn is at times sloppy and her presentation is a bit more cheerleader-like. You may be underwhelmed but Adelina is a strong spinner with interesting positions, a powerful jumper, and her choreography is difficult but not overly busy. The look of terror on someone's face should have no impact on PCS. A clean Adelina will place several points ahead of a clean Kaetlyn. Whether Kaetlyn fans agree with that statement in the Edge doesn't matter because none of them are international judges.
I think right now Sotnikova still has stronger skating skills and faster spins than Kaetlyn, but everything else such as performance, interpretation, musicality, movement quality Osmond is better hands down. Jumps, I don't know. Although Adelina has landed some difficult 3-3s, she has a pretty obvious flutz and her 2nd toe at the end of her 3-3 always looks laboured to me. There's just something awkward overall about Adelina's skating to me. I think she needs a dance instructor to teach her how to use her upper body and fix her carriage.

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 67.61 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 64.19 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 58.22 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 57.18 Short Program
5. Joshi HELGESSON (SWE) - 55.04 Short Program
6. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 54.77 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Lenaelle GILLERON-GORRY (FRA) - 53.32 Short Program
8. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 52.28 Short Program
9. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 51.90 Short Program, 2nd Copy
10. Juulia TURKKILA (FIN) - 51.47 Short Program, 2nd Copy
11. Sonia LAFUENTE (ESP) - 51.07 Short Program
12. Nikol GOSVIANI (RUS) - 50.92 Short Program, 2nd Copy
13. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 50.79 Short Program
14. Monika SIMANCIKOVA (SVK) - 50.27 Short Program
15. Kerstin FRANK (AUT) - 49.60 Short Program
16. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 48.75 Short Program
17. Anita MADSEN (DEN) - 47.97 Short Program
18. Kaat VAN DAELE (BEL) - 47.18 Short Program
19. Jenna MCCORKELL (GBR) - 47.17 Short Program
20. Fleur MAXWELL (LUX) - 46.66 Short Program
21. Sila SAYGI (TUR) - 46.17 Short Program
22. Tina STUERZINGER (SUI) - 45.73 Short Program
23. Anne Line GJERSEM (NOR) - 45.72 Short Program
24. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 45.60 Short Program
25. Anna AFONKINA (BUL) - 44.89 Short Program
26. Alina FJODOROVA (LAT) - 44.87 Short Program
27. Roberta RODEGHIERO (ITA) - 44.71 Short Program
28. Patricia GLESCIC (SLO) - 43.36 Short Program
29. Alisa MIKONSAARI (FIN) - 41.34 Short Program
30. Eliska BREZINOVA (CZE) - 40.98 Short Program
31. Inga JANULEVICIUTE (LTU) - 35.53 Short Program
32. Michelle COUWENBERG (NED) - 35.28 Short Program
33. Isabella SCHUSTER-VELISSARIOU (GRE) - 35.09 Short Program
34. Sabina MARIUTA (ROU) - 33.89 Short Program
35. Mirna LIBRIC (CRO) - 33.73 Short Program
36. Kristina ZAKHARANKA (BLR) - 31.73 Short Program

Last edited:

gimble

On the Ice
Oh, and I also agree about Carolina's horrid SP dress. The red "hands" wrapping around her waist look so garish and distracting and the skirt looks heavy and frumpy that I'm amazed it doesn't affect her jumps and spins.

They do look like "red-gloved hands." :) But other than that, I personally liked Carolina's dress.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
well there is the Osmond talk here. lol

:scowl: That is exactly what I find boring. I would like to hear what people think about skaters at this competition. I don't remember, or have seen all of them, but there were newbies like Weinzierl, Lanaelle G-G and the Danish girl Anita who did quite well. Are they something for the future? When I started reading this thread I thought there would be pages of praise for Adelina, but as CaroLiza_fan says, a lot of negative posts about her or predicting her bombing tomorrow :confused:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
:scowl: That is exactly what I find boring. I would like to hear what people think about skaters at this competition.

it was about the Euro Ladies , but someone randomly posted here and threw Osmonds name that she will have the same pcs as Carolina and will bury Sotnikova

gmyers

Record Breaker
Sotnikova was the most impressive she's been in 2 seasons. Just the sp so far but that was so solid.

Liza had her usual sp problem but after doubling 3lz she did the 3t and other things were good.

Kostner would have lead without the fall.

Good for marchei!

I think Liza will win a medal.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Kostner still telegraphs her jumps, where are the transitions? She is so overmarked. Should be 3rd or 4th.