Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hype

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Hype

Osmondflation has now probably overtaken Chanflation, in terms of the inflation element. Osmond's scores at both Skate Canada and Canadian Nationals were absurd. Silly comparisons have been made with legendary skaters. Equally silly suggestions have been made that she can beat Kim, Mao, Ashley, Carolina to the World title. Indeed, I cannot think of any other skater who has been more overhyped and overrated in the entire history of figure skating than Kaetlyn Osmond

Osmond: the most overhyped & overrrated skater ever? What do you think?

Here is an article which typifies the ridiculous proportions that the hype has reached. Its title?:-

Canada's Rising Star May Pose Challenge to Kim Yu-na
    I don't think so
    Last edited by Mao88; 01-25-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Custom Title
    i thought so until i saw her skate at her nationals,
    maybe a bit but not like all the u.s ladies
    she will be fighting mao, carolina kostner, adelina, elizaveta, probable ashely for the medals.

for me ashely should be off the podium at worlds based on what i seen.

Banned
    I just find it funny I dont even visit the pcs gap with Yuna thread, lol
    some are insisting she will rack a 70+ score in SP, its was at Canadian Nationals notorious for having the inflated scores
    Carolina can barely even reach a 70+ score

I she skates clean she might be around Ashley range in pcs and scoring
    she has a shot in Top 5 maybe bronze if others have a meltdown

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I just find it funny I dont even visit the pcs gap with Yuna thread, lol
    some are insisting she will rack a 70+ score in SP, its was at Canadian Nationals notorious for having the inflated scores
    Carolina can barely even reach a 70+ score

I she skates clean she might be around Ashley range in pcs and scoring
    she has a shot in Top 5 maybe bronze if others have a meltdown
    Marked properly, she would just about scrape into the top 10. She is a talented skater who is being over promoted beyond her current abilities. She should be allowed to develop at her own pace. Long term, she has the potential to medal at a world championships in the next quad, but certainly not at the moment.
    Last edited by Mao88; 01-25-2013 at 01:54 PM.

I think, by creating this thread, you are adding fuel to the fire. This thread has the potential to become something incredibly mean; she's only sixteen, for goodness's sakes!

A lot of people seem to agree that she has a lot of potential and needs to grow into it-- I agree with that.

And inflation at Nationals is nothing new.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I think, by creating this thread, you are adding fuel to the fire. This thread has the potential to become something incredibly mean; she's only sixteen, for goodness's sakes!

A lot of people seem to agree that she has a lot of potential and needs to grow into it-- I agree with that.

Yes I agree! People seem to forget that behind it all these skaters are people too!, and Osmond is only 16! she has so much potential and is in my opinion an excellent skater. good for her that she is having this success!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post

but there are ranges in National inflation though
    like say how the current US nationals had the least inflation Wagner 64-66 Gold 51-54 etc.
    or Russian Nationals who also have low inflation mirroring scores B/S -68-69 and Sotnikova 64-68 etc.

By Inflation Standards from highest to lowest national inflations

1 Canada
    2 France
    3 Japan
    4 Italy
    5 Russia
    6 China
    7 USA

Custom Title
    She can jump(though she got edges on both her flip and lutz at Skate Canada so she must figure that out)
    She is probably past puberty issues
    She can compete which is a rare quality
    Everything else can be improved but she's got what it's needed for a champion. Currently I don't think she is world podium material but who knows. All the top ladies are inconsistent except maybe Yuna Kim

Custom Title
    sky fly 20
    i think the overinflated scores this is by ladies only-highest to lowest
    of the ones i seen, usa, italy, japan, russian, canada

1) U.S.A.
    2)Italy
    3) korea
    3)russia
    4)canada
    5) japan

for me italy and usa has tied and they aren't done yet. mao for what she did was low, yu-na in short was a high, long was passable,
    russian was okay, canada okay in short -bit high in long, italy, was no different.
    comparable scores japan is one of the lowest -for what skaters skated, but with mistakes okay.
    others didn't take enough off.
    Last edited by fairly4; 01-25-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: adding country

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    sky fly 20
    i think the overinflated scores this is by ladies only-highest to lowest
    of the ones i seen, usa, italy, japan, russian, canada

1) U.S.A.
    2)Italy
    3) korea
    3)russia
    4)canada
    5) japan

for me italy and usa has tied and they aren't done yet. mao for what she did was low, yu-na in short was a high, long was passable,
    russian was okay, canada okay in short -bit high in long, italy, was no different.
    comparable scores japan is one of the lowest -for what skaters skated, but with mistakes okay.
    others didn't take enough off.
    usa as first in national inflation in ladies ?
    their current scoring have been conservative, not even near Osmonds's 70+ at Nationals

Carolina got around 70+ at Italian Nationals, she would score around 68-69+ at Euros had she been clean, not that inflated
    Adelina got 65+ at Rus Nationals, got 67+ at Euros, so not that inflated at all
    Last edited by sky_fly20; 01-25-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Breaking my policy of not talking about the boards on the boards -- I do agree that this thread does add fuel to the fire. If there is frusration by the amount of hype Kaetlyn gets on these boards, it seems counter intuitive to add yet another thread to The Edge. So far this year she's been the subject of half a dozen threads. I find that unnecessary.

And while I find this hype of her a bit much, I think we ought to be careful not to show malice toward Kaetlyn herself. She has done nothing to merit such malice, should it come -- on this thread or otherwise. As I said on another thread, I think Kaetlyn as a skater and a person is terrific.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Re overhyping (as distinct from overrating):

About a year ago, the hype over Gracie Gold seemed to be off the charts.
    And IMHO, virtually everyone seemed happy to embrace the hype. Skeptics, if any, remained under the radar. The mania was totally lopsided in her favor.

OTOH, IMHO, cheerleaders for vs. skeptics of Osmond all along have equalled each other with the intensity of their support vs. doubts, respectively.

Wishing both Osmond and Gold well as they continue with this season and future seasons. Seems safe to say that the best from each is yet to come.

(If Gold qualifies for Four Continents, Worlds, and/or WTT, will be interesting to see how they fare head to head at this point. )
    Last edited by golden411; 01-25-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post

And IMHO, virtually everyone seemed happy to embrace the hype. Skeptics, if any, remained under the radar. The mania was totally lopsided in her favor.
    In fairness, nobody was ever arguing that Gracie deserved artistic marks on par with Yuna. The excitement with Gracie was her 3/3s and she delivered them time after time last year. Nobody is mad at Kaetlyn, just some of us think it's ridiculous to label her as the best artistic skater in the world at the moment when she hasn't broken 117 in an international event.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Proclaiming someone will be the best thing to happen ice skating since the zamboni does nothing but attract negative attention the skater. So far Kaetlyn has done well...she's had a number of strong skates and achieved good results. Let her be happy with those victories and wish her well in her remaining competitions.

If what's going on with Gracie Gold has told us anything it's that over-hyping someone usually ends badly. Not only is it generating extra pressure for the skater to perform, but over-saturating the boards with how wonderful someone is and how badly they'll kick everyone's @$$ and how no one can compare to them generates some ill-will toward the skater from other fans.

I was sick of Gracie long before she debuted at SC thanks to all the send Gracie to worlds/Gracie's the best/Gracie is God crap that happened around nationals last year. People were hailing her as the second coming and she wasn't even a senior yet. Fans get too excited...

Please don't do the same thing to Kaetlyn. I really like Kaetlyn right now and I enjoy her skating; but the ceaseless promotion and comparisons in every single thread by some of Kaetlyn's more enthusiastic/overzealous fans is starting to touch a nerve with people. You think you're helping but what you're really doing is annoying the hell out of everyone and making them resent her...

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post

OTOH, IMHO, cheerleaders for vs. skeptics of Osmond all along have equalled each other with the intensity of their support vs. doubts, respectively.

Wishing both Osmond and Gold well as they continue with this season and future seasons. Seems safe to say that the best from each is yet to come.

(If Gold qualifies for Four Continents, Worlds, and/or WTT, will be interesting to see how they fare head to head at this point. )
    I was a skeptic of Gold and I don't think I remained particularly under the radar (though I flat out post much less than a lot of people here). We did exist haha. Actually I still don't really like Gold. But that's a different issue.

I personally find it hard to get invested emotionally in young skaters. It tends to be only over the course of a career that I become invested. Once in a while, rarely (far less than once a year) a young skater or couple will strike me and I'll sort of be a fan from the get go. But for me that usually takes time, and so I really dislike all the hype in general here whenever anyone does anything remotely impressive one year.

I also agree that this thread is a bit of overkill. I would be happy to never see another Osmond thread as long as I live.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast