Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Nobody is being unkind towards Kaetlyn personally. Personally, I think she is a talented skater who has the potential to medal at Worlds in the next quad if she continues to progress at the rate she is. The problem is with those behind the overhype. Ultimately, I think they are doing her a disservice by overhyping her, as the inflated expectations will act as an unwanted burden for her, which could ultimately stunt her development. She should be allowed to develop at her own rate. By allowing her to do so, I think she can ultimately become a major contender.
    I think we're both in agreement regarding the overhype. That I don't dispute. And I wasn't trying to pick on you for starting this thread--- I just feel like there's been way to many threads on her on these boards in general.

I don't think anyone has been unkind toward her directly, but IMO, I think it's really easy for people to go there. It's just human nature.

Hype is nothing new -- we've seen it with Gracie Gold, Adelina/Liza/Julia/et. and many otheres. You are right that it really adversly affect people, as we've seen with Gracie and Adelina this season (though yey for Adelina for pulling a great SP at Euros!)

On the Ice
    I kind of understand hypes toward Adelina, Elizaveta, and Gold in the past, because they all had DIFFICULT JUMPS (such as 3lz-3t, 3f-3t, 3f-3lo etc.,) that most of seniors cannot do.
    But Kaetlyn, only have 3t-3t, and 3flutz. Nothing really special in her jump content, and nothing that really stand up in artistry compared to the above girls except, the NUMBER of transitions..It is only natural for one to belive that because she has strong federation on her back, that she is winning..

Thinking that she can be on the same level as Yuna in PCS, is just so pathetic.
    Last edited by loren; 01-25-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Custom Title
    Well "most" and "ever" are very strong words. The people I see talking about her the most are those who like to complain about her. Canada doesn't have very many strong ladies so we get excited whenever a potential comes along. Just let us rub our hands in glee and be happy. Though I do recall forum discussions back in the day that said that Rochette would never reach the podium either.

It's hard to predict what the judges will do (and sometimes it isn't!) so I prefer to sit back and let the skaters do the talking. All I know is that I really do enjoy Kaetlyn's skating. And I'm glad that are some other young ladies progressing at the National level so hopefully they will present true competition and force each other to up their content and presentation.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Re overhyping (as distinct from overrating):

About a year ago, the hype over Gracie Gold seemed to be off the charts.
    And IMHO, virtually everyone seemed happy to embrace the hype. Skeptics, if any, remained under the radar. The mania was totally lopsided in her favor.
    In fairness, nobody was ever arguing that Gracie deserved artistic marks on par with Yuna. The excitement with Gracie was her 3/3s and she delivered them time after time last year. Nobody is mad at Kaetlyn, just some of us think it's ridiculous to label her as the best artistic skater in the world at the moment when she hasn't broken 117 in an international event.

Tripping on the Podium
    Watching US nationals, US ladies can't even produce any 3+3
    As for canadian nationals all lady medalists did 3+3 even in their short program. Speaking of hype, I guess canadians learning from their american neighbour bad habits.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fruit Loops View Post
    Well "most" and "ever" are very strong words. The people I see talking about her the most are those who like to complain about her. Canada doesn't have very many strong ladies so we get excited whenever a potential comes along. Just let us rub our hands in glee and be happy. Though I do recall forum discussions back in the day that said that Rochette would never reach the podium either.

It's hard to predict what the judges will do (and sometimes it isn't!) so I prefer to sit back and let the skaters do the talking. All I know is that I really do enjoy Kaetlyn's skating. And I'm glad that are some other young ladies progressing at the National level so hopefully they will present true competition and force each other to up their content and presentation.
    Awww, Fruit Loops!

I would like to request a change to the title - it does seem a little mean to single out Kaetlyn for it. She isn't the first nor will she be the last to be hyped up. I wouldn't mind discussing which skaters were hyped up in the past, whether they lived up to it or fell short and the why's and how's, but. Focusing the discussion on the hype around one skater can't go in a good direction...that's just how I will see it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by momskate View Post
    As for canadian nationals all lady medalists did 3+3 even in their short program.
    hmmmm Mirai, Agnes, Gracie has 3-3
    Osmond has 3t-3t but she flutzes and lips

Custom Title
    Osmondflation has now probably overtaken Chanflation, in terms of the inflation element. Osmond's scores at both Skate Canada and Canadian Nationals were absurd. Silly comparisons have been made with legendary skaters. Equally silly suggestions have been made that she can beat Kim, Mao, Ashley, Carolina to the World title. Indeed, I cannot think of any other skater who has been more overhyped and overrated in the entire history of figure skating than Kaetlyn Osmond

What do you think?

Here is an article which typifies the ridiculous proportions that the hype has reached. Its title?:-

I don't think so
    The article is written by a Korean paper, so how is Osmond being over-hyped here? This is just an attempt by a Korean paper to stir controversy and sell newspapers.

Your reaction to this article is so over the top as to be offensive. I think Yu-Na, Tara Lipinski, Michelle Kwan, Mao Asada, and the young Russian skaters, have all received far more hype at a much younger age than Osmond. Yu-na was so overhyped, she had to leave Korea for peace and quiet.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Yu-na was so overhyped, she had to leave Korea for peace and quiet.
    *Ahem* as a totally biased YuNa fan, I must disagree! Overhyped, psshhh, nahh! She was hyped alright, but she sure lived (lives!) up to it. 150-point Olympic FS, anyone??? muahahahahaha

Oh, and she's back in Korea, while she's still competing. For peace and non-quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by momskate View Post
    As for canadian nationals all lady medalists did 3+3 even in their short program.
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...0/results.html
    Mirai Nagasu, Agnes Zawadski, and Christina Gao all received credit for their 3T+3T combination.

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    *Ahem* as a totally biased YuNa fan, I must disagree! Overhyped, psshhh, nahh! She was hyped alright, but she sure lived (lives!) up to it. 150-point Olympic FS, anyone??? muahahahahaha
    I must disagree; she was definitely overhyped, but it absolutely doesn't mean she was overrated. And I thought she was back in S. Korea to finish her studies and help with the Pyongchang planning-- not for some peace and quiet. (Though, I'm sure seeing her friends and family again is rather nice.)
    Last edited by aftertherain; 01-25-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Custom Title
    Your reaction to this article is so over the top as to be offensive. I think Yu-Na, Tara Lipinski, Michelle Kwan, Mao Asada, and the young Russian skaters, have all received far more hype at a much younger age than Osmond. Yu-na was so overhyped, she had to leave Korea for peace and quiet.
    Kim, Tara, Michelle, and Mao deserved their hype - they were all doing far more at the same stage of their careers to justify it. And they sure lived up to that hype (3 Olympic champions and a 5 time world champion). There is a difference between justified and unjustified hype

Kim, Tara, Michelle, and Mao deserved their hype - they were all doing far more to deserve at the same stage of their careers to justify. And they sure lived up to that hype. There is a difference between justified and unjustified hype
    Kaetlyn is in her first year on the senior level! Of course the aforemention skaters "deserved" the hype; you already know the results!

The article is written by a Korean paper, so how is Osmond being over-hyped here? This is just an attempt by a Korean paper to stir controversy and sell newspapers.

I believe the situation RE: Yuna leaving town had more to do with ice time than with peace and quiet. She moved to Toronto during the 2006-2007 season, just as she was transitioning to the senior level.

I recall that there were very few ice rinks in Seoul and that Yuna was forced to either practice early in the morning for late at night.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Kaetlyn is in her first year on the senior level! Of course the aforemention skaters "deserved" the hype; you already know the results!
    The key part of what I said was:-

...they were all doing far more at the same stage of their careers to justify it
    The Osmond hype is unjustified hype as her performances do not justify the hype she is getting
    Last edited by Mao88; 01-25-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Well, thank goodness, hopefully Wagner would be able do one as well.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast