Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hype

Custom Title
    I've always thought Osmond was one of the most promising young Canadian skaters, long before her successes this year.
    But it's astonishing that expectations have gone through the roof and Canadian fans have extrapolated her SC win to World and Olympic championships right around the corner. It can be hard on a young skater when so much is expected from her so early, before she's ever had the experience of major championship competition at the senior level.

Yes, Yu-Na Kim and Mao Asada started young and achieved much, first at the junior level and later at the senior level. But both of them had been Junior Grand Prix and Junior World Champions before they moved up to the Senior level. They were already proven high achievers and continued on that path. And on the way, both were hyped to the limit.

Kaetlyn has a Nebelhorn win and a Skate Canada win at the international level, and that is exciting. But she hasn't faced the
    full complement of elite skaters at one competition as yet, and no one really can say what the outcome of that will be. Expecting her to win every competition she enters, disregarding the stiff competition she will face, puts an awful lot of pressure on her.

Custom Title

Overhyped skaters

I once heard a story about a radio talk show host who would make outrageous on air comments about the topic of discussions. One day a listener criticized his methods. As a challenge, the listener was invited to host the show his way. Nobody called in. After awhile the talk show host took over and made another of his usual outrageous comments. Suddenly all the phone lines were busy with callers eager to disagree.

I don't think most Canadian posters are expecting Kaetlyn to win Worlds or the Olympics. For now, I think most are just hoping she does well enough at Worlds to get back two spots. Only a small handful of people are actually making over-zealous comments. Then like the talk show host situation, the hordes of nay-sayers must jump-in, each with their 2 cents. Basically all saying the same thing dozens of different ways. Suddenly a nay-sayer may mention something another Osmond fan disagree or take offense with, and the cycle continues. Ironically, it is all these constant arguments that are hyping Kaetlyn the most (by keeping these threads alive). Actually this thread wasn't even created by an over zealous Canadian Osmond fan, but also continues to keep Osmonds' name in the forefront of everyones' mind (I guess you can say, Mao88 is also indirectly hyping Osmond) Without these threads and the Suzuki/Osmond threads of the past, would Kaetlyn even have had a quarter of the fame she now has outside of Canada?

Since Canada is eliminating the penny, the above would be my 5 cent opinion... that is what they call inflation.
    Last edited by rvi5; 01-27-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    It's rather weird - because it's not like Osmondflation rolls of the tongue (who puts a 'd' before an 'f' anyway?)
    Quite so. The adfix "flation" leaves me sad-faced.

As for tripping off the tongue, Yunaflation (like the Unabomber) is not so bad. In a couple of years we will have Nguyenflation (pronounced "winflation").

(Janet) Lynnflation.

For that matter, Kaetlynflation sounds pretty good.

Off to work the title of this thread some more.

Custom Title
    She says it herself: She wants to get 2 Worlds spots back http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...#id=2327696331 (commercials before). I don't think she's got podium dreams this year, or if she has, they are personal, and I'm sure no different than any other skater's dreams and aspirations.

Custom Title
    I am fascinated by the evolution of this thread title.

That shows the difference between how many fans of this sport REALLY feels, to one that is sanctioned by the board admins, probably at the behest of those who continues to hype her up, hoping to to gain her inflated PCS bonuses like those she receives at home - through 'words to mouth' than allowing Osmond to earn them naturally through work and effort 'on ice' like everyone else. It is incredibly unfair to her, as well as other skaters who she compete with.

It went from

Overscored & Overhyped
    to
    Overhyped
    to simply
    Hype (Did I miss anything?)

I wonder by the end of 4CC, will it ends up being

Hyped & Humbled
    or
    Heaved & Hoisted

This is after all, just a talented skater who has only won 1 international competition up to date - at home (edited: plus Nebelhorn B event just before, where she lost SP but won LP). No junior results to speak of (highest ranking was 10) and who only received 115.89 total score for her FS at Skate Canada, where 4 of her elements (25% of total elements) received negative GOEs. She didn't win either the SP or the LP event at Skate Canada, but won over all through COP maths.

Is Kaetlyn talented and full of exciting potentials? Absolutely. But so are there a lot of young skaters from other nationalities who arguably displayed far more potential than Kaetlyn here and earned them since Juniors.

If this is a sport that proclaim itself being fair and just, that treat all nationalities the same without biases/prejudices, then frankly there wouldn't be this sort of talk. That practically demands/expect that certain skater deserve to be treated 'specially' at the expense of putting other skaters down, instead of allowing them to earn on their own merits and proceed at their own natural pace.
    Last edited by os168; 01-26-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Custom Title

Hype

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    This is after all, just a talented skater who has only won 1 international competition up to date.
    Actually, two if you count Nebelhorn.

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    (Did I miss anything?)
    Yes. You missed the original thread title: Osmond: Most Overhyped & Overrated Ever?

That was just too mean, in addition to being excessive hyperbole itself.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Actually, two if you count Nebelhorn.
    Thanks for this, I edited my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Yes. You missed the original thread title: Osmond: Most Overhyped & Overrated Ever?

Ouch.. yeah I agree that is totally mean. Glad that was edited, good job admins.

Custom Title
    And I see more unterhyping than overhyping

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

Yes, the evolution of the title has been amazing. Its essentially change the whole terms of reference of the thread = censorship. Normally, on a forum like this, there is freedom to express a point of view. Otherwise, what is the point in this forum even existing. Indeed, if admins are simply going to engage in censorship (changing titles, so as to change the terms of reference) simply because they disagree with something (and interfering with the freedom to air points of view, however unpopular), then the forum becomes pointless - it simply becomes a forum for subjects that admins agree with and like. I've noticed that this always seems to happen with subjects about Osmond, as whenever a thread is started which goes against the hyping up of her, it gets messed around with. Hence, there does not appear to much in the way of freedom of speech anymore. When that happens, it becomes less of figure skating forum than a fan site for certain skaters

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I think, by creating this thread, you are adding fuel to the fire. This thread has the potential to become something incredibly mean; she's only sixteen, for goodness's sakes!

A lot of people seem to agree that she has a lot of potential and needs to grow into it-- I agree with that.

And inflation at Nationals is nothing new.
    Exactly. To argue one is so overhyped by making another thread about that person just feeds into the "annoyance" of the hyping.

And because it's not just one skater over time who's had this much attention, other skaters have and will be discussed. Hopefully in a civil manner.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    She won two Silvers at Worlds and a Silver at Olympics. Silver is pretty close to Gold.
    Had John Nicks and all of Team Cohen not predicted that Sasha would land the first quad by a woman, win multiple world titles and the Olympic gold medal, people would say she had a very good career, but measured against the hype of what Cohen and her coach said she was going to do, and which all of which her fans believed with a certainty to the annoyance of the rest of us, her career is a major disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Had John Nicks and all of Team Cohen not predicted that Sasha would land the first quad by a woman, win multiple world titles and the Olympic gold medal, people would say she had a very good career, but measured against the hype of what Cohen and her coach said she was going to do, and which all of which her fans believed with a certainty to the annoyance of the rest of us, her career is a major disappointment.
    only to those who want to see it that way. in the years since most people have gotten over that blip in her career.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Gracie who?

No disrespect intended to her, but of the skaters in Omaha, Max Aaron is the one for whom I feel the most happiness .

His new U.S. title shows that hype is not a prerequisite for excellence or for success.

Custom Title
    Max Aaron sure can jump. He won Nationals fair and square, but his current coach (Zakrajsek) is not known for developing his students' presentation skills. Max hasn't much international cred as he didn't get any GP assignments this season. He did do two International Bs and finished first and second.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast