Canada's "new" Sasha - Mira Leung | Golden Skate

Canada's "new" Sasha - Mira Leung

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Wow! Can this kid skate!!!! I was out of my seat and cheering by the time she finished. What a dynamo!!!! Wait until next year!!! She will be knocking them all off the podium one by one!!!!

Foxy

Rinkside
I don't know about that. I watched the long program again last night on tv and she looks novice-juniorish to me. I realize she is only 14 and will grow and develop.

Mira seems a little awkward looking, bent over or something. She is no where near the level of Sasha Cohen. She really needs some ballet training, a stylist to put the package together (hair, costume, carriage, etc.) She seems a bit rough. Her bielman was good though.

After looking at Michelle Kwan, Jennifer Kirk, Sash Cohen at their Nationals, and then looking at Canada's top skaters, we still have a way to go and it won't happen in a year. There's more to skating than jumps. However, things are looking up, as these young ones have some promise. JMHO.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
I don't know that I would compare Leung to Cohen....I actually saw more of a young Irina Slutskaya in her. As Foxy said she seems a little rough around the edges still - Cohen seems to have been born with a dance sensibility....That said, I think some ballet classes and just the changes that come with more maturity are sure to improve her presentation immensely. I was very excited to see her because of her obvious enthusiasm, go-get-it attitude, and solid technical ability. She's definitely a skater to watch for the future.

Foxy, like you I watched the American championships as well, and would dispute that the top Canadian ladies still have a ways to go to compare to the Americans. In the past I would definitely have agreed with this, but now I think the only thing missing is some consistent international results. I think someone like Rochette, in particular, has everything it takes to compete with these top skaters, including the artistry, speed, jumps (her jumps are actually much bigger and more impressive than some of the top American ladies), spins and the program. Pheneuf is also lovely - not quite as polished as the top American ladies - yet - but I think all she needs to get that is the senior international exposure.

shine

Record Breaker
I also woudln't call Mira the new Sasha Cohen. I'm no fan of Cohen but to come close to Cohen's polish and command over the ice, Mira still has a looooooong way to go. It wasn't very obvious in the SP, but in the LP, her total lack of refinement really came through and was quite unbearable to watch. I wish I ddin't have to be so harsh on her since I've watched her skate since she was a 6 year old, but she really has a lot of work to do. I agree with whoever that said Mira's natural style is more of the power house kind of skater.

I also agree that Joannie has everything it takes to compete with the very top skaters in the world. To me, her presentation is really mature for one her age and definitely more polished than, say, Sebastyn, Liashenko, Kirk, and even the top 2 Japanese ladies. Her interpretive ability, musicality and versatility are also superb (her exh this year, anyone?). At this point, IMO all she needs is experience, consistency, and a reliable lutz.

I also really look forward to seeing Cynthia develop. She has a natural charm to her skating and a very expressive style. She has such nice choreography and sophistication in her presentation. I don't think she's quite as refined as Joannie (her raised shoulders and stiff arms bother me somteimes), but I believe she'll grow.

When was the last time the Canadian ladies were this exciting??

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Folks:

The kid is only fourteen!!!! Of course, she looked a little unpolished and a little rough around the edges, but she definitely has talent and can do all the Sasha moves!!! That is what counts and can be developed. She is a quick learner - she leaped ahead in one season in her development as a jumper.

It takes time to develop poise and style as well as maturity in skating. It will come. Good grief, she is probably the best female skater we have had come out of the "starting gate" in a long time! Annie B has had potential for sometime, but her nerves get to her. We need more skaters like Mira who have confidence within.

I don't know about you, but I like what I saw.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
I liked what I saw too Lad. She does need to get more polished to challenge the likes of Kwan and Cohen, but she definitely has the goods. Her spirals are by far the best among Canadian ladies, and she has the biellman spin too. I enjoyed Phaneuf’s skate but when she came to the spiral part she only achieved half-full spiral positions (if that) very quickly as if she just wanted check it off the list and get it over with (and it’s pretty much the same with the other ladies too).

OT, the commentator said something like most competitors at this level normally have their dresses designed and made for them, but Mira got hers from skating catalogue. I hope she gets more support in the future in her artistic presentation (ballet training maybe), and her whole packaging (music selection, costume, etc.).

Last edited:

missflick

On the Ice
ML needs to straighten her spinning leg during the Biellman though.:sheesh:
But yes, what promise.:)

Spark

Rinkside
I think she's quite a talent! The jumps look easy for her, she has great speed and position in her spins, she's flexible and she seems to have a lot of confidence. She does remind me a bit of Irina Slutskaya: not as refined as some of the others, but with the complete technical package and a bubbly personality. I'm looking forward to seeing her develop.