2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP

Vicky458

On the Ice
Ashley DID NOT DEFEND the National title...it was given to her by a group of US judges who should be embarrassed.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Mirai was 4th and highest placement for us at the Olympics in a PACKED field in a final that wasn't a splatfest, so I have a hard time stomaching people calling her overhyped. As far as I'm concerned, she lived up to every bit of hype.

Yes, having issues and now getting over them (good for her), but no different than Wagner's long string of dubious-terrible performances prior to last year...

Unfortunately, Gracie's name makes it impossible for her to avoid being [over]hyped. That part is in brackets, because she's more than capable of living up to it. The ball's in her court.

Mirai had one good competition. Both Tukt and Sotnikova have had more success internationally than Nagasu, and they've been on the scene far less. Mirai is a beautiful skater with all of the talent in the world, but no she hasn't lived up to her talent. I think the USFSA is frustrated and done.

guanchi

On the Ice
So glad for Gracie- she was just unconscious in the fs, huge lutz combo, NICE loop (no pop or flub), no worries or jitters.
After that final scratch spin, much relief out there, whew!
Now that I'm hearing about all this drama in the ladies, I'm really excited- I hope they show the entire free on NBC, backstage drama and all, meltdowns, everything...haven't been this excited for a while. The countdown to Sochi just got really fun.

bekalc

Record Breaker
So glad for Gracie- she was just unconscious in the fs, huge lutz combo, NICE loop (no pop or flub), no worries or jitters.
After that final scratch spin, much relief out there, whew!
Now that I'm hearing about all this drama in the ladies, I'm really excited- I hope they show the entire free on NBC, backstage drama and all, meltdowns, everything...haven't been this excited for a while. The countdown to Sochi just got really fun.

I saw a clip of Gracie's supposed "diva moment" and there's was nothing diva about it. She looked simply tired.

Kissx3

Final Flight
Random comments since the forum crashed last night...

Such a strange competition there at the end. I feel like with all of her clout and international potential, Ashley did enough to win anyway, it just feels so weird because they gave Gracie such a massive score likely because they assumed the good performances would keep coming, especially from those expected to perform (ironically the ones who weren't able to) and so they had to get crafty with the number manipulation in the end which really soured the competition. I can't imagine how casual viewers felt about that one, it may have come off as a huge wuzrobbed debacle.

You could see it all over her face that Gracie was disappointed not to win as well, but in a positive light, it's got to be better for her not to have the extra pressure of being the champion going to her first Worlds as a 17 year old kid, especially given how much she was feeling the pressure in this event. That excellently skated program seemed very cathartic for her, she just let it all go there when it was over. It's easy to forget this experience is all so new to her -hopefully this event was a good life lesson on managing expectations and she won't let them weigh her down so much going forward.

I do think they would have given Zawadski the marks if she didn't bomb for once. Mirai maybe not (although you can also say Ashley was placed above Gracie just in case Mirai nailed it - there's no way they were ever going to leave Wagner off the Worlds team no matter how this competition went) but I still don't see them trying to bury her either way as some have suggested. Not this year they weren't at least. I love her but she deserved her score relative to most of the programs we saw tonight. So many visible errors and not in a "let's go to the slow motion replay" sense, it was clear on first viewing that that was going to get wrecked by the technical panel.

Gao should have won at the very least a pewter. It just doesn't seem right to let a skater of such quality go unappreciated within her own country. On the bright side for her, it's only her second real senior season and she's been making good progress internationally so you've got to be kidding if you expect this to even get her to consider retirement.

Most awkward camera shot ever? Ashley Wagner smirking as Mirai collapses into tears behind her. That is so gif worthy, I can see non-figureskating fans/forums playing with that one for years to come.

Last edited:

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
Is there a reason that Gracie doesn't put the 3lutz/toe as her combo in the short? She seems so much more consistent with it!

I understand that Ashley had a lead from the short program. But just judging the LP in isolation, was hers the second best performance that we saw last night?

One judge gave her PCS of 9.25, 9.00, 9.25, 9.00, and 9.25. (Although in fairness, that judge gave everyone high scores across the board, including a 9.25 in SS and a 9.00 in P/E to Agnes Z.)

Biggest thrill: Caroline Zhang. Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it! :)

Dots

Final Flight
For a moment I thought Mirai would fall to the ground and throw a fit! She should have given off finger as she walk off! "Screw you life!!" :p

Seriously though what a night! That was exhausting to watch.

katymay

Medalist
The first half of Czisny's performance in 2009 was magical. And she fell once, not twice. There were also no other great performances by the ladies at 2009 Nationals - Caroline Zhang and Rachael Flatt did well technically in that competition, but their performances were abysmal.

Wagner's performance tonight was mostly flat and seriously marred. I would have placed her 7th in the LP (behind all of Gold, Hicks, Cesario, Wang, Gao, Zhang). It was not good. I suppose she deserved 2nd overall because of her SP, though.

I thought the front half of Ashley's program was solid and confident. No hesitation into the jumps, great speed and flow etc. I think the lack of triple/triple detracts a bit, but otherwise, it was enough.
I feel very sorry for Mirai, but she didn't bring it compared to those who went before her, even way before her. Her program was an uncomfortable mess. She needs to relax, smile and stop looking as if someone off ice is waiting to execute her. She is over thinking every element. Compare this to Ashley, who, in the beginning was Attack attack attack. It was all muscle memory for Ashley, no doubting or overthinking, probably from doing the program over and over and over again. (Yes, at the end her legs gave out-it happens)
Agnes and Mirai and to a lesser extent Ashley need to work on conditioning before next year. Agnes especially.
From the breakdown, I'm happy to see that Angela was rewarded (although I thought her scores were too low), as she was beautiful last night. Gold has spectacular jumps, but I too felt she was overscored for the rest of the program.

I think Caroline will be back next year-from the (dramatic!)improvement she has already made over the past two years, I would guess she has an amazing work ethic. Last night even her speed was much better.

leafygreens

Final Flight
I can't believe people are saying Gracie should have won. Did nobody watch the SP?

Also, the fluff pieces and commentary on Gracie throughout the SP were a bit nauseating. If she wants the attention then she needs to earn it, by performing in the SP like she did in the LP. Then next year do the fluff pieces.

The ISU simply must address the inadequacies of the scoring system, or else admit flat out that they have abandoned the concept of figure skating as a spectator sport.

You cannot ask people to pay their money to watch a sporting event where they see one amazing program after another, then they give the prize to a lackluster performance with two falls.

The excuse that we must arrange it so that we can send the "right" skaters to worlds doesn't cut it.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yuck. What a sad competition. Not leaving me optimistic for worlds. But let's hope that Ashley will be strong and confident again by then and that Gracie shows what she did last night because it was stellar. At least they both have grit!

It's hard to quibble with Ashley's win when the other top girls were so flawed. I feel awful for Mirai but her grim LP was difficult to watch. She needs new coaches (again) and she needs to decide if she truly is enjoying herself or if she's sticking with skating because it's the only thing she's ever known.

Also feel a bit confused about Christina. I know she made mistakes but somehow if fees like she should have been higher.

Best of luck to Ashley and Gracie. I do feel they are the right two to send to worlds based on Nationals. At least Ashley had a very good SP and Gracie had a spectacular LP. Mirai could have made a strong case for herself and made it impossible for the judges to say no to her. But she didn't. I'll still be rooting for her next year.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
The ISU simply must address the inadequacies of the scoring system, or else admit flat out that they have abandoned the concept of figure skating as a spectator sport.

You cannot ask people to pay their money to watch a sporting event where they see one amazing program after another, then they give the prize to a lackluster performance with two falls.

The excuse that we must arrange it so that we can send the "right" skaters to worlds doesn't cut it.

Maybe it's a lost cause. Think back to the 1988 Olympics when Midori Ito stole the show and still lost to mediocre performances because of figures that the audience didn't see or care about. So......

leafygreens

Final Flight

Yes, the inadequacies that count both the SP and the LP, the horror... :sarcasm:

Maybe it's a lost cause. Think back to the 1988 Olympics when Midori Ito stole the show and still lost to mediocre performances because of figures that the audience didn't see or care about. So......

True. (Although Liz Manley's free skate wasn't exactly mediocre. : ) ) But back then the reaction of the ISU was to overhaul the system by tossing out figures. It seems that now their reaction is, we know best -- if you don't like it, go watch some other sport.

Ashley's tech score in the LP was beaten by Gracie Gold, Courtney Hicks, Jasmin Siraj, Christina Gao, Angela Wang, Samantha Cesario, and even the USFS whipping girl Caroline Zhang.

I am not trying to pick on Ashley here. I think her injury took more out of her than she is admitting. Still, her LP performance was not the second best of the night. And yet, that is how it was scored.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
In fairness, the campaign to get rid of figures existed before Ito and Manley took to the ice.

I think the ISU is fine saying it's not a spectator sport. Mathman, I suspect you'd rather they didn't admit that though.

When I saw Mirai's score and final placement, I figured out the reason the boards crashed

Yes, the inadequacies that count both the SP and the LP, the horror... :sarcasm:

You said that in a joking way, but yes, that is one of the problems. A skater can build up such a big lead in the short program that the LP is irrelevant. Who would pay money to go to a sporting event (the climactic U.S. Nationals Ladies Long Program -- ta da!) when you already know who is going to win, no matter how badly they perform?

flutzy13

On the Ice
Long time reader, first time poster.

I can't remember the last time Nationals was this exciting to watch.

Beyond thrilled that Gracie lived up to her hype. You can just tell NBC/USFSA is desperate to have her as the Sochi star based on the amount of coverage BEFORE her free skate. But that free skate was magnificent. I think going to Worlds as the second place American and not having to be the defending champ at Olympic trial nationals will benefit her in the long run.

Wish Wagner could have been clean if tentative in the free so there would not be all the Gracie was robbed talk. I knew the judges would keep Wagner in first as they weren't going to take the chance of her in second and then Mirai skating lights out. Yes, her score was padded but Gracie was padded a bit in the short to keep her in the mix and had high PCS in the long. So, I think its about even and understand why they did what they did.

Sad for Mirai. I didn't think she needed to fall all the way to seventh. Judges were letting her know she is not in their Olympic mix, I guess. Saw Ashley smirk a bit at her score but I thought that was maybe because she knew it was a major low-ball and not because of mean girl antics.

I'm over waiting for Agnes to pull it together in the free- I thought Gao should have been above her but I guess that spin fluke did her in in the short. Hicks had some great technical content but was clunky and had a fall. I loved Wang and Miller and am excited to see what the 2014-2018 quad holds for them. I'm assuming they are too low for any GP assignments next year?

Very excited for the run up to Sochi. Crossing fingers Ashley will heal up and FS Gracie will show up to get us that third spot!

Layfan

Record Breaker
True. (Although Liz Manley's free skate wasn't exactly mediocre. : ) ) But back then the reaction of the ISU was to overhaul the system by tossing out figures. It seems that now their reaction is, we know best -- if you don't like it, go watch some other sport.

Ashley's tech score in the LP was beaten by Gracie Gold, Courtney Hicks, Jasmin Siraj, Christina Gao, Angela Wang, Samantha Cesario, and even the USFS whipping girl Caroline Zhang.

I am not trying to pick on Ashley here. I think her injury took more out of her than she is admitting. Still, her LP performance was not the second best of the night. And yet, that is how it was scored.

Hmm. When you put it that way, that is a head scratcher. Yes, okay, Ashley was overscored in the PCS. On the other hand, she did perform it. Looking at the competition over all, who should have won? Mirai with her bummer of a FS? Agnes with two error filled programs? Gracie with her disaster of a an SP? Christina who was lovely but let's be honest, she had a major mistake in the short and errors here and there in the long. I'm glad Caroline had good skates but it feel her shortcomings are glaring. Same with Hicks etal.

In some ways, the biggest head scratcher is Agnes being third with two mistake filled programs.

Everyone sort of tied for mediocre this nationals if you ask me.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I didn't say Ashley's SP was spectacular. But yes it was very good. If not very good then good. it certainly wasn't average. As for the choreo I suppose it's a matter of taste but I adore her SP choreo and find it memorable. Definitely glad we will be seeing again at worlds.

Last edited by a moderator: