2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP

Krislite

Medalist
GS had an outage for while as it seems it was slammed by too much traffic.

Anyways, Ashley was really gifted by the judges here. Gracie should have won, I think. Poor Mirai...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
sign Mirai just cant hold it together under pressure

Gracie was awesome , Ashely winning with 2 falls
a sign of her not so good things for Worlds ? looks a bit deja vu

Gymfan15

On the Ice
It's hard to say. Gracie had a bad SP, Ashely had a bad LP. I will need to watch them all again to see. But either way I think the right two ladies are going to Worlds, which ultimately is all that matters. Hopefully this will be a big confidence booster for Gracie.

Poor, poor Mirai. I was watching on a crappy mobile feed that froze all the time; what exactly happened? I know she had the one two foot/step out, and then I'm assuming she just got hammered for UR's. But still, 7th...that was harsh. I hope this doesn't discourage her enough to make her quit because I think she's made great strides in the last year and I would hate to see it all go down the drain. (But like I said, maybe I missed her big mistakes? Only saw the one major one).

lavender

Record Breaker
Did Mirai really deserved to be dropped that low?? She was devastated. I don't know but I have a feeling about Mirai and Zhang making some decisions about skating. I think Zhang may decide it's that time to go to school since she put in on hold.

I just don't know if they feel appreciated at their own Nationals. I think Mirai and even Zhang get more internationally.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
:cry::cry::cry:

:no:

:scowl:

(That's all... Off to send Mirai a condolence message. Hope this is not the end)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Felt so heartbroken watching Mirai in the K&C. Her expressions .. just ... ugh! :(((((

(Did we break the forum at first?)

Here's to hoping we'll see Mirai at 4CC ... :cry:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
they just dont trsut Mirai anymore
Gracie should have won imo and they need to stop with Zawadzki overscoring

Gymfan15

On the Ice
I get that USFS doesn't have the luxury of giving multiple chances to their struggling athletes; they're in dire straits and there's only so many competitions before Sochi. But still, it broke my heart to see Mirai so devastated. :(

vera01

Final Flight
Poor Mirai(and Caroline):( They really deserved to get higher score. I don't think Mirai or Caroline would be at Worlds but still, that score is too low.

I actually think that it's a good thing that Gracie won silver, not gold. If she won gold, with high expectations all around her, she won't do well at 4CC and at Worlds(like her SP at this Nationals. She was expected to win silver at least, and I think it made her more nervous). I hope she does well with her SP in upcoming competition, though. She seemed happy with her FS score, though she might have been disappointed that she didn't win the national title.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^

Ashley was gifted, I agree Gracie should have won !
with 2 falls, she has not done well for 2 competitions now, hope she doesn't follow the Alissa Czisny route

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@EvanLysacek
Congratulations @AshWagner2010!!! Proud of you.
8:23 PM - 26 Jan 13​

wallylutz

Medalist
Wagner was totally off tonight, started cautiously then becoming more and more nervous as she progressed. Two footed the Salchow, fell on a Flutz with the same unclear and bizarre take off, UR the Loop then fell on it and stumbled on her final Flip. After the two falls, she was very slow as though her energy was completely drained. :unsure:

Yet, she scored 121+ for this effort. This is a score of desperation. Even on a good day, she is not a naturally artistic skater - her biggest weapon has always been her consistency. GPF + the Nationals, it doesn't look like she is that consistent anymore. Plus, her jump content in both SP and LP are a step lower than what others do to begin with so if she doesn't skate clean, she can kiss the World podium good bye.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
If Gracie had just skated clean in the SP, she would be the Champion. But she started way too far down to overtake Ashley. After seeing the protocols, I can't find too much fault in either Gracie's or Ashley's marks including the PCS. Ashley won the gold and Agnes held on to the bronze by virtue of their SP's.

As for Mirai, I could see in real-time a bunch of UR's and knew she was likely to get dinged even on some of the jumps that looked "clean." Not surprised to see her protocol details confirm that. Sad for her, but she has had time to correct this ongoing problem and still hasn't, so she wouldn't be a good bet to put out there for Worlds anyway. Christina: yet another 5th place. She's probably frustrated; I would have had her in fourth over Courtney Hicks. I thought Gao's PCS were low compared to Hicks' (or Hicks were too high, take your pick).

I also thought Cesario should have been ahead of Siraj.

emma

Record Breaker
I am completely unsure what to say or how to feel. The old timer in my (6.0 era) wants to say who I thought should have one, etc...the CoPer in me also wants to say who did enough to win, come in second etc...but I'm unable to at the moment (although if I had the energy I could look at the protocols to help the Cop side of me decide). I think my point is: wow, what an amazing set of long programs until the nerves set in with some of the top contenders.

I will say that I am totally disappointed that Ashley couldn't go clean given her relatively reduced tech (with the 'lack' of triple triples). I feel deeply for her injury and recent illness, but she can skate this clean...anyway, that said, congrats to her and the other medalists. I think she has two great programs and really hope she can do them full justice at worlds - for her first and foremost, me second ;), and then of course, the US team...

Hugs to a number of skaters who are feeling crest-fallen at the moment. I do want to give a special shout out to Zhang - yes, she is slow, but I loved both her short and long; like last year, she provided, for me at least, some very special moments that I will remember.

sask8

Rinkside
Did Mirai really deserved to be dropped that low?? She was devastated. I don't know but I have a feeling about Mirai and Zhang making some decisions about skating. I think Zhang may decide it's that time to go to school since she put in on hold.

I just don't know if they feel appreciated at their own Nationals. I think Mirai and even Zhang get more internationally.

Zhang has already stated she will be skating to phantom of the opera next year. I do hope Mirai continues

evangeline

Record Breaker
Really gutted for Mirai, I really wanted her to make the world team. The look on her face at the end of her LP and how she burst into tears skating to the boards said it all--she knew it was far from what she capable of. I'll need to watch the program again, but I don't think all the UR calls she received was out of line--even when watching my pixellated, fuzzy feed it was pretty obvious a bunch of her jumps had a discernible hook on the landing. Plus everything seemed a bit deflated after she fell out of her 3F. I wonder how much her recent illness affected her performance.

Ashley did not have the fight she showed throughout the GP season and the GPF. She seemed slower, the performance muted and her free leg was dangerously dangly at times. I think she was very lucky to get the high PCS she got, and it was a clear sign that the USFS did NOT want to send her as anything less than the National champ to Worlds. Hopefully tonight's poor performance was mostly due to the aftereffects of the salmonella poisoning.

Agnes has nice big jumps when landed and her height gives her an interesting presence on the ice but like Ashley, I also think that Agnes' PCS was the beneficiary of some hometown inflation given her relatively lackluster performance and boring choreography.

I'm really sad John Nicks let go of Courtney Hicks as a student because the girl needs a LOT of polishing and refinement that Mr. Nicks is good at giving to his students. You know you need help when Scott and Sandra keep alluding to your "athletic" qualities on the ice.

Poor Christina Gao. She is doomed to be fifth at Nationals forevermore.

Last edited: