2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP

louisa05

Final Flight
Not to be an idiot, but there is no rule against marching, and it does not score negative points, however silly.

Gracie is apparently being the child in the movie, who starts marching after the Nazi solders, until stopped by its dad.

Music does not have to be and really should not be interpreted that literally. And as Eislauf pointed out, it is what children are taught to learn to skate which makes it even more foolish to stick in a senior level program.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Touché! That marching was jarringly unsophisticated. Marching is what wee little kids do when learning to skate:yes:

And - yes - Ashley's carriage, body and arm positions are balletic and polished - far better than Gracie's. While watching Gracie's LP, I immediately noticed how much she was flapping her long arms up and down.

...didn't Boitano march to Gold in Calgary?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While watching Gracie's LP, I immediately noticed how much she was flapping her long arms up and down.

When I watched her program, I immediately noticed her magnificant jumps.

There's a discussion on the men's board about the absolute need for quads. It's the next evolution for men. A man can certainly be a stylish skater without one, but he'll be a competitive also-ran. It's just the way things are going.

Similarly, for the women, they're going to need triple/triple, and probably more than one. Yes... there will be pretty skaters who do beautiful spirals with lovely hands and 3L/2T combinations, but they won't be on top. The sport is shifting to a more athletic zone.

The hope is that these athletes will have the whole package... but I'd rather be in Gracie's skates right now... with a powerful jump arsenal... than be one of the hoard of mediocre jumpers with balletic qualities.

If I were a young woman now, I'd be working on obtaining powerful jumps. If I were Gracie, I'd be working on 3A.

Eislauf

On the Ice
...didn't Boitano march to Gold in Calgary?

True, but Brian was actually 'skating as' and costumed as an actual soldier: Napoleon. Plus Brian's a man, so marching is less 'jarring' to see in his program on the basis of gender association alone. I doubt many want to see a female skater, much less a beautiful one like Gracie, dazzling in her beautiful dress, diamond earrings, pretty hair accessories and so on, actually.....march. It doesn't fit with her glamorous, feminine style or gender. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Eislauf

On the Ice
When I watched her program, I immediately noticed her magnificant jumps.

There's a discussion on the men's board about the absolute need for quads. It's the next evolution for men. A man can certainly be a stylish skater without one, but he'll be a competitive also-ran. It's just the way things are going.

Similarly, for the women, they're going to need triple/triple, and probably more than one. Yes... there will be pretty skaters who do beautiful spirals with lovely hands and 3L/2T combinations, but they won't be on top. The sport is shifting to a more athletic zone.

The hope is that these athletes will have the whole package... but I'd rather be in Gracie's skates right now... with a powerful jump arsenal... than be one of the hoard of mediocre jumpers with balletic qualities.

If I were a young woman now, I'd be working on obtaining powerful jumps. If I were Gracie, I'd be working on 3A.

I was only comparing the polish and maturity of Ashley's skating vs Gracie's. I think Ashley has the edge in sophistication and elegance but Gracie beats Ashley on the basis of her athleticism with her enormous jumps. As Gracie matures, one would expect that the 'finish' and elegance will develop. Agree that Ashley needs a good consistent triple-triple to compete at the top level.

ForeverFish

Medalist
True, but Brian was actually 'skating as' and costumed as an actual soldier: Napoleon. Plus Brian's a man, so marching is less 'jarring' to see in his program on the basis of gender association alone. I doubt many want to see a female skater, much less a beautiful one like Gracie, dazzling in her beautiful dress, diamond earrings, pretty hair accessories and so on, actually.....march. It doesn't fit with her glamorous, feminine style or gender. :biggrin:

Am I the only one who liked the marching bit in Gracie's FS? It added a spot of fun to an otherwise serious program, IMO, and the way she does it is just too cute.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Gracie's team looks outside their team and looks at other choreographers for a change. Don't stick her with the same crappy programs next year there are to many good choreographers who could work wonders for her. Plus it's under utilizing her abilities just using the same guy to put her programs together.

Flutz Capacitor

Rinkside
I'm not crazy of Ashley getting a freebie title. She skated really poorly in Nationals and GPF yet still had good results because almost all the other top skaters were awful. Kinda lame that she gets to add this to her resume. That said, I hope she turns around her season with a great skate at Worlds and helps the US women get 3 spots for the Olympics. Ashley + Gracie getting the 3rd spot is way more conceivable than Miner and Aaron at least.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think it is reasonable that the great USA will have its three ladies but the key will be the three Russian ladies, elene G., Korpi and Osmond. they will have to beat some of these ladies to earn three spots. But if Ashley say gets 2nd or 3rd; Gracie should have no problem get say 10th one would think.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I guess these things do get back to skaters, this was posted on Ashley's Twitter and Facebook:

@AshWagner2010: Wow, people can be really mean. It wasn't my dream program..trust me I'm aware, but u can't understand how it feels til ur out there urself

I think she knows she has to up the ante. Nationals was unfortunate and she has battled injury and illness, if this is any indication she will come out fighting at Worlds.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who liked the marching bit in Gracie's FS? It added a spot of fun to an otherwise serious program, IMO, and the way she does it is just too cute.

Yes, it was intended to be patterned after the film and it's a little quirky thing in there to get a small glimpse into how she really is...

R.D.

Record Breaker
I posted my doubts earlier but remember that in the end I WANT to be proven wrong...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I guess these things do get back to skaters, this was posted on Ashley's Twitter and Facebook:

@AshWagner2010: Wow, people can be really mean. It wasn't my dream program..trust me I'm aware, but u can't understand how it feels til ur out there urself

I think she knows she has to up the ante. Nationals was unfortunate and she has battled injury and illness, if this is any indication she will come out fighting at Worlds.

I don't blame her! Between all the comments about her "smirk" and what not, I would be quite hurt. We seem to forget that these skaters are people just like us. We get to hide behind the comfort of our computer screens and screen names while she basically out there, mistakes and all.

I think what's great is she got a lot of nice comments from fans and even this one from Kristi Yamaguchi:

" @AshWagner2010 ur a champion, 2X US champion & I know you will represent our country w/ honor & pride. Look ahead #ignorenegative #kickbutt"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

unfortunately with social media there's no buffer - and I don't think Ashley has a phantom admin for her twitter and people have been downright cruel on both tiwtter and facebook...

FlattFan

Match Penalty
As a public figure (skater), there's always detractors. And even so, fans shouldn't coddle you either.
Anyway, she can't understand how it feel for people at home scratching their heads watching her win either. I can't believe she actually followed up with you don't know how it feel because you're not in my skates nonsense. That's an excuse 4yo gave. What nonsense!

Trewyn

Medalist
I noticed all the negativity on twitter towards Ashley was crazy! And the comments about the smirk? I rewatched, with proper sound this time, and the expression is clearly her wanting to be happy like last year (Agnes was disappointed about dropping to third too, but nobody called on Ashley for beaming at being Nat champ) but listening to the boo-ing crowd now and knowing it's more mixed emotions than pure happiness, it's a strange situation to be in.
With the competition over and done with, she should be proud at her accomplishment of defending her title on the first try and focus on getting prepared for worlds.

rkuang

Rinkside
As a public figure (skater), there's always detractors. And even so, fans shouldn't coddle you either.
Anyway, she can't understand how it feel for people at home scratching their heads watching her win either. I can't believe she actually followed up with you don't know how it feel because you're not in my skates nonsense. That's an excuse 4yo gave. What nonsense!

You're comparing the viewers' experience to the intensity of a competitive elite figure skater? It's not the same because her role is much, much more intense and burdensome. I don't blame Ashley for the way she was judged by the system and judges. If she was given second place, she would've accepted it. It isn't her fault she was given the title. She simply tried to do her best under the circumstances. I think sometimes people forget to point the fingers at the right people.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
You're comparing the viewers' experience to the intensity of a competitive elite figure skater? It's not the same because her role is much, much more intense and burdensome. I don't blame Ashley for the way she was judged by the system and judges. If she was given second place, she would've accepted it. It isn't her fault she was given the title. She simply tried to do her best under the circumstances. I think sometimes people forget to point the fingers at the right people.

:clap:

btw, welcome to the boards, rkuang! Post often, post long!