2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well I totally avoided the forums so I could watch it on tape delay (Sorry didn't feel like watching a crummy feed). So here I am. Man what an evening.

I don't have a problem with Ashley winning- she did OK on everything aside from the fall and it is a lovely program. And when you consider that she's been scoring 128+ internationally this season when clean, 121 doesn't seem all that unreasonable with two falls and a less than great landing on the 3S.

But Gracie Gold. Goodness gracious -- our hyped youngsters came through today...First Liza gets 70+ on her Euros program now Gracie got 71+ on her FS tonight. Whew!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well just as well that I avoided it then. I found myself trying to occupy the time so I wouldn't be tempted to check the results before I watched it on TV. Ended up getting caught up on some of my Korean dramas. :biggrin:

lavender

Record Breaker
Well I guess we will see. Ashley had a bad skate at the gpf final also and Gracie hasn't done as well internationally. Just hoping for 3 spots at least.

Anyone know how Gold has scored pcs wise internationally?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well I guess we will see. Ashley had a bad skate at the gpf final also and Gracie hasn't done as well internationally. Just hoping for 3 spots at least.

Anyone know how Gold has scored pcs wise internationally?

She had 58+ at COR, so basically low 7s. So her PCS score tonight is a bit high compared to her internationals, but she really skated lights out tonight, so I can understand why the judges responded as such.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
USA has its two girls. Gold and Wagner are excellent choices to represent the Americans. Gold did great. I still think the scores are a bit high but that is National inflation. Sad to see the end of Mirai, the fall of Zhang, and poor Agnes too. I was a bit surprised how Wagner skated but the scores are quite high across the board. So many skaters over 110. I wonder if this is national inflation. Of course the dance scores were just outrageous.

ks777

Record Breaker
I am on the west coast so I finally finished watching on tv. Gracie Gold finally delievered! I still think she is the only american skater who can challenge for the gold at Olympics. I was unimpressed with Wagner. I don't get why she gets such high scores with no 2axel-3toe and a 3-3. I really like Cortney Hicks. I don't like her choreography or muciality at the moment but she can improve on that pretty easily. She has good high solid jumps. I can see her and Gracie at the next years Olympics. I felt bad for Agnes. I so wanted her to do well but she fell short on making the world team again. I hope she will come back strong next year! I am so sad for Mirai. I know she was sick all week but you know she hasn't really improved that much since she wont the US Jr national. I think Mirai was much more polished and elegant when she was 14yo. The way she moves her feet bothers me. I don't know if it's the skate tights thing she has on or she doesn't move her feet beatifully at all, rather ugly.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I wonder what on earth Gao has to do to get any recognition from U.S judges or if it impossible for her at this stage.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I still think she is the only american skater who can challenge for the gold at Olympics.

For Gold to win the Olympics next year even with her best skate would require a Zamboni event of epic proportions, Kim falling atleast 4 times, many others falling atleast twice, etc.... She is nowhere near ready as far as presentation skills to even come close.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gao's challenge is clearly to get better + GOE. She has lovely jumps, but next to Gracie or Agnes they don't stand out. She also can't make silly mistakes, she faltered on a spin in both programs. In the FS, her final sit spin was a level 1. She also lost -GOE. Between that error and the one on the SP, she could have went up to 4th. I'm also surprised she didn't go for a 3F-3T combo this time around.

That said, even though she's fifth again, I think she has improved greatly in the last year and I hope she will keep going because I think there's still room to grow.

Art&Sport

Medalist
USA has its two girls. Gold and Wagner are excellent choices to represent the Americans. Gold did great. I still think the scores are a bit high but that is National inflation. Sad to see the end of Mirai, the fall of Zhang, and poor Agnes too. I was a bit surprised how Wagner skated but the scores are quite high across the board. So many skaters over 110. I wonder if this is national inflation. Of course the dance scores were just outrageous.

ITA, except I wouldn't call Agnes "poor." She's a talented young lady and seemingly very sweet, but she has been gifted big time, maybe perhaps since she has excellent jumps when she's on and can land huge 3/3 and she did win a medal on the GP. The US fed seems to be putting a lot of faith in Agnes, at least as the third string. Ashley and Gracie should be able to bring home the bacon if they go whole hog and skate lights out at Worlds. ;)

The ladies fp press conference is up on IceNetwork. Ashley is a classy lady who acknowledged Gracie's great skate, which in turn led to Gracie coolly being gracious to both Ashley and Agnes, which in turn led to Agnes ..., well you get the picture. All the complimenting was nice to see, but I'm sure they were all smiling with a bit of fire in their bellies (maybe except for Agnes who has been fairly unpredictable and hot and cold in her performances).

More class and poise from Ashley when she answered a gruff reporter's query about what she meant when she said that her accomplishments this season helped her win. The reporter was veering into politically incorrect territory by wondering whether Ashley meant that her golds on the GP circuit held her up at Nats in the eyes of the judges. Ashley swatted him down right away with an honest, straightforward response.

bixby

Final Flight
I'm happy for Ashley given what she has to deal with heading into this nationals.

Luck was definitely on her side. Gold was just 2A shy in the SP to have become the ladies' champ tonight.

Jeremy won't be so lucky tomorrow if he pulls up a Wagner and Miner duplicates a Gracie. It will be a different story. (Not trying to jinx him, just crossed my mind)

Art&Sport

Medalist
Gao's challenge is clearly to get better + GOE. She has lovely jumps, but next to Gracie or Agnes they don't stand out. She also can't make silly mistakes, she faltered on a spin in both programs. In the FS, her final sit spin was a level 1. She also lost -GOE. Between that error and the one on the SP, she could have went up to 4th. I'm also surprised she didn't go for a 3F-3T combo this time around.

That said, even though she's fifth again, I think she has improved greatly in the last year and I hope she will keep going because I think there's still room to grow.

I tend to agree, but I also think that Agnes was gifted, and Hicks has got the jumps but not the artistry or maturity. As I mentioned previously, Christina really needs to work on her confidence and belief in her ability. She is a bit too subtle in her style, which contributes to her not seeming to stand out. She needs to project a lot more, which she did at Skate America where she seemed to be much more relaxed. It also helps the judges to mark you down another notch if you look too unhappy after skating a fairly good program (which Christina did on both counts). She should have made an effort to at least give a semblance of making the judges think she was confident about her performance.

christinaskater

Medalist
Is Ashley injured? Seeing her fall 2x in the last 2 major events is scary. We don't want to send anyone ala Czisny to Worlds

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So doing my protocal breakdown -- which will be up shortly-- I realized that Gracie had just two jumps in the bonus. Did she really do 5 jumping passes before the 2 minute mark?

Which makes her score even more amazing considering that she basically she didn't fully take advantage of the bonus.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Is Ashley injured? Seeing her fall 2x in the last 2 major events is scary. We don't want to send anyone ala Czisny to Worlds

I think it was a combination of nerves and setbacks including the whole food poisoning thing that kept her away from the ice just a week before nationals. I know it sounds laughable, but I've seen it in action (unfortunate) and it really can take a lot out of you. My husband was sick for several days when he had it.

Really it seem Ashley has been through a lot this year -- she had a head cold during TEB, got a hip pointer during GPF then food posioning a week before Nationals...I'm hoping that she can stay away from all of those things for 4CC and Worlds.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
So doing my protocal breakdown -- which will be up shortly-- I realized that Gracie had just two jumps in the bonus. Did she really do 5 jumping passes before the 2 minute mark?

Which makes her score even more amazing considering that she basically she didn't fully take advantage of the bonus.

Gracie was incredible tonight. Yes, she would not have gotten that PCS score internationally but her TES was about right. Every jump deserved the +GOE it got. It's amazing that she moved up from 9th to earn her spot on the World team. She will do a great job representing us.