2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P Protocal breakdown
Actually calculating these numbers help explain a lot.

BV
Gracie 60.31
Angela 57.17
Yasmin 56.97
Courtney 55.80
Samantha 55.53
Christina 54.87
Hannah 54.23
Ashley 54.03
Caroline 53.72
Agnes 49.69
Mirai 49.44
Ashely C. 47.80

+GOE
Gracie 10.83
Courtney 7.82
Samantha 5.06
Agnes 4.49
Caroline 4.56
Christina 4.43
Ashley 3.42
Yasmin 3.27
Angela 2.54
Ashley C. 1.14
Hannah 0.78
Mirai 0.36

TES
Gracie 71.14
Courtney 63.62
Yasmin 60.24
Angela 59.71
Christina 59.30
Samantha 58.59
Caroline 58.28
Ashley 57.45
Hannah 55.01
Agnes 54.18
Mirai 49.80
Ashley C. 48.94

Jumps
Gracie 52.01
Courtney 45.55
Christina 43.66
Angela 42.67
Caroline 42.52
Samantha 42.13
Yasmin 40.77
Ashley 38.42
Hannah 36.73
Agnes 36.62
Mirai 32.01
Ashley C. 31.21

Nonjumps
Yasmin 19.47 ---- all level 4
Gracie 19.13 ---- all level 4
Ashley 19.03 --- level 4 (3) + level 3 (1)
Hannah 18.28 – all level 4
Courtney 18.17 – level 4 (3) level 3 (1)
Mirai 17.79 – level 4 (3), level 2 (1)
Ashley C. 17.73 – level 4 (3), level 3 (1)
Agnes 17.56 level 4 (3), level 2 (1)
Angela 17.04 level 4 (2), level 3 (2)
Samantha 16.46 –level 4 (2), level 2 (1), level 1 (1)
Caroline 15.76 – level 3 (2), level 2 (2),
Christina 15.64 (level 4 (2), level 3 (1), level 1 (1)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I would have had Mirai ahead of Agnes, Gao as well.

Gold should have won that and Ashley should have finished 3rd or even 4th.

Stupid comments:

1. Ashley 3rd or 4th, LOL! Who other than Gold can you make a case for beating her. Zawadzki, Hicks, Nagasu, dont make me laugh. Thank god you are not a judge, you would dump the top U.S hope by far of the team in favor of others who have much less chance who skated as bad or worse than her. :laugh:

2. That said no way did Ashley not deserve to win overall. Both Gold and Ashley were inflated in the LP, but Gold was really really inflated in the SP.

As for Mirai maybe she should have been a bit higher than 7th, but personally I would have had her only 6th. Not only did she make similar visible mistakes to Wagner and Agnes, but URs on top of that. Gao was the one majorly screwed, nor Mirai.

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
Wow. Not thrilled I let this competition take such a chunk of my night's sleep. Next year, I'm not going to set my alarm for 3 in the morning. I should be thrilled with who ended up 1-2. But yeah.

I feel bad for Ashley. 4 falls in two competition? And we know she can skate with crazy confidence, her Samson & Delilah was incredible at JO, SA, TEB... I think with the hip pointer and the salmonella they probably rushed her Nats training a bit, 'playing it safe' is not really 'playing it safe' if you haven't been able to practice even (slightly) watered down content properly. I feel bad that people are shouting "undeserved". She's the first US Lady to defend a title the first time out since... Rosalynn Summers? We should applaud this accomplishment. The hole Gracie buried herself in the SP was too big, she rightfully takes away the LP and the silver medal + the world team spot; let's see how she goes from here. How will she deal with the pressure of trying to win back that third spot?
I hope Ashley and her team make the right decision re 4 continents; would she need it to conquer her GPF and Nats demons in the freeskate before Worlds? Or does she need more time to regroup, find her strength and start training that 2A-3T and 3F-3T that sh's been talking about all season? I honestly wouldn't know which decision is the right one for Ashley. I hope John Nicks knows :p Ashley will/should listen to her Yoda :)

Also; what's with the bitchy vibe I got from the sneak-peak backstage when Mirai was skating? From what it looked like (but maybe someone saw with higher volume), Ashley was sitting backstage looking angry and frustrated (at herself, I assume), in comes John Nicks, telling her that Gracie skated really well and Ashley should congratulate her. So up she gets, offering Gracie, who is looking really sour herself, tapping on her phone and generally ignoring two Ashleys (the other being Ashley Cain trying to lighten the mood, I think), very reluctantly accepting Ashley (W.)'s hug. These to girls smiled and had fun together at WTT right? When did the war began? On a happier note Ashley and Agnes clearly get along :)

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I wonder if Mirai, Caroline and Alissa will consider whether to skate one more year or will they wait to see if three spots are earned for the olympics. I am sure they will wait but one wonder if it is time for them to move on - still one wonders if Mirai who really looks like she could be a OGM sometimes will get it together. Wagner still was solid enough to win. Good work for Gold -her best - I sense she may be saving her best for world's - she is developing and peaking at the right time.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
This win reminds me a lot of Alissa Czisny's win in '09. She skated a subpar long program but got held up because of her advantage in the short, much like Ashley did tonight.

The first half of Czisny's performance in 2009 was magical. And she fell once, not twice. There were also no other great performances by the ladies at 2009 Nationals - Caroline Zhang and Rachael Flatt did well technically in that competition, but their performances were abysmal.

Wagner's performance tonight was mostly flat and seriously marred. I would have placed her 7th in the LP (behind all of Gold, Hicks, Cesario, Wang, Gao, Zhang). It was not good. I suppose she deserved 2nd overall because of her SP, though.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Well I wonder if Mirai, Caroline and Alissa will consider whether to skate one more year or will they wait to see if three spots are earned for the olympics. I am sure they will wait but one wonder if it is time for them to move on - still one wonders if Mirai who really looks like she could be a OGM sometimes will get it together. Wagner still was solid enough to win. Good work for Gold -her best - I sense she may be saving her best for world's - she is developing and peaking at the right time.

I think you are right that they will all wait and see if the U.S regains 3 spots and that will play a large part in their decision. I think everyone knows Wagner and Gold are going to the Olympics next year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Caroline has absolutely no shot because she won't get any international placements with her result tonight. Mirai could get the 3rd spot but to me she has never looked like a potential OGM. Alissa may be a factor next year but, again, I'm not sure how many international assignments she can get to build any sort of momentum.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Alissa will still get the scores if she skates well. I could see her getting the 3rd spot.

Mirai, well, I think it's over for her. She got her chance and has declined so much. This is 3 Nationals in a row that she has skated a lifeless Long Program and after finishing so low at Nationals twice in a row, I don't think she will find the motivation to make it happen again.

Gao is focusing too much on college now to make it happen. 5th place this many years in a row. I don't think she really has the motivation to get there.

Wagner, Gold, Hicks, Wang, Zawadski, and Czisny (if she recovers) are probably the contenders for the Olympic team next year.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Also; what's with the bitchy vibe I got from the sneak-peak backstage when Mirai was skating? From what it looked like (but maybe someone saw with higher volume), Ashley was sitting backstage looking angry and frustrated (at herself, I assume), in comes John Nicks, telling her that Gracie skated really well and Ashley should congratulate her. So up she gets, offering Gracie, who is looking really sour herself, tapping on her phone and generally ignoring two Ashleys (the other being Ashley Cain trying to lighten the mood, I think), very reluctantly accepting Ashley (W.)'s hug. These to girls smiled and had fun together at WTT right? When did the war began? On a happier note Ashley and Agnes clearly get along :)

Skaters aren't the picture-perfect beings USFSA and NBC would like us to believe. Nationals is an intense competition with intense competitors-- a few skaters have said that the National Championships were the absolute worst event to participate in because of the amount of pressure that they felt with 4CC, Worlds, and sometimes Olympic assignments looming over their heads. Those are the defining and deciding events of a skater's career.

So yeah, I think skaters are entitled to some cray-cray off-the-charts vibes backstage. Skaters aren't all "friends", IMO. They're just friendly either because they just genuinely are or because they have to be. Everyone has worked hard, spent so much money, and most importantly, everyone wants to win.

There is only one spot at the top of the podium, after all.

Mr. Nicks was smart in telling Ashley to congratulate Gracie. More than likely, Ashley was pissed about her own performance and perhaps Gracie was pissed at her placement (due to her performance in the SP?).

Girls will be girls.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Ashley was gifted big time. Her PCS for that skate was ~66?
Well, Carolina should get 80 for hers then.

Who said US national isn't inflated? Ashley didn't deserve to win. Her LP should be 105 or so. She made 3 visible mistakes. An URed flutz, a downgraded Loop, a dbl-fted sal. She doesn't have the technical capability of any of the top tier girls. She doesn't have the lutz, doesn't have 3x3, doesn't have 2A-3T. Her score is a joke.

US National Champion landed 2 clean triples. Brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:

samson

Medalist
Ladies Nationals used to be so much fun. These days it just feels like a big punch in the gut. I should have known the universe was trying to tell me something was up when my DVR didn't record it...

What I have found on youtube it seems like the second to last flight was a lot more consistent. Gracie was wonderful, I just wish she had held it together in the sp. Then her scores for the free wouldn't feel so ridiculous.

Ashley... I mean I think it makes sense that Ashley won. When you think about the mistakes Gracie made in the short and the mistakes Ashley made in the long they are similar. And it definitely makes sense that Ashley would have a higher PCS. I just hate feeling so uninspired by the winner (and she HAS inspired me before). Still... politics wise, it makes perfect sense that the USFSA would put their weight behind Ashley. Total sense. And after Gracie's mistakes in the short I get why they gave it to her.

I haven't been able to watch Mirai's program yet. Someone did post a video of her scores going up so show the moment Ashley won, and Ashley's interview through to the awkward interaction between Ashley and Gracie. Really heartbreaking to see. Normally I'm all for composure in the kiss and cry, but I can't blame Mirai for her reaction. She's worked so hard this year, and it showed. But she just got hit with the flu at the wrong moment. UGH. WHY SKATE GODS, WHY?!?!?!

I need to watch Mirai, Agnes and Courtney and then I'll have seen the top 8.

It's just such a shame that for the second nationals in a row I almost feel that I wish I hadn't even bothered to watch...

christinaskater

Medalist
Definitely, Gao should have won at least a pewter medal, and Cesario should have been ahead of both Hicks and Siraj in fifth place IMHO. Agnes was extremely lucky to even be on the podium.

1. Gracie Gold
2. Ashley Wagner
3. Christina Gao
4. Courtney Hicks.
5. Samantha Cesario.
6. Agnes

christinaskater

Medalist
Cesario doing a fabulous job! Love her and so glad she's healthy again. This group of ladies way exceeded expectations. What a great competition to have a ticket to and see it from the stands!

I hope Samantha, Courtney and Hannah would be able to get more international senior experience to get the cred and the PCS!

christinaskater

Medalist
Ashley is very good but if Courtney gets more international credentials and continues to be consistent with her triple triples (and improved artistry) the she could be a challenger not only for Nationals but for Sochi!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please let Gracie go to another choreographer who knows what her strengths are. Staying with Scott Brown isn't going to cut it. She needs imput from other people. Wow though once this girl really learns to skate and not just jump she will really be something.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Ashley, she just eeked out that win, I am happy for her that she defended her title.

Highlights for me were Gracie Gold's great skate, Christina Gao (she is lovely to watch) and Caroline Zhang's smile in the K&C
when her scores came up.

Agnes could not take the pressure and poor Mirai 7th place and her tears just broke my heart.

Congratulations to the Ladies!

I hope we get 3 spots with the Wagner/Gold combo.......

SkateNater

Match Penalty
It was a very emotional night. The second to last group skated so well. It really would have been so fantastic to see the last group skate with more chutzpah than nerves. It's got to be so seriously hard to do though under those intense circumstances.

There's no question that Gracie needs to work more on polishing and refinement, and hopefully she can get to that point. She obviously needs some time to mature. Her jumps this evening were absolutely pure and flawless. It won't be easy to show that every time out, but let's see if this Nationals fp at least will be a turning point for her. She also needs to continue to beware of the "too much hype" machine. It can be a killer -- just ask Caroline and Mirai. :eek:hwell:

Mirai was 4th and highest placement for us at the Olympics in a PACKED field in a final that wasn't a splatfest, so I have a hard time stomaching people calling her overhyped. As far as I'm concerned, she lived up to every bit of hype.

Yes, having issues and now getting over them (good for her), but no different than Wagner's long string of dubious-terrible performances prior to last year...

Unfortunately, Gracie's name makes it impossible for her to avoid being [over]hyped. That part is in brackets, because she's more than capable of living up to it. The ball's in her court.

katymay

Medalist
I think it was a combination of nerves and setbacks including the whole food poisoning thing that kept her away from the ice just a week before nationals. I know it sounds laughable, but I've seen it in action (unfortunate) and it really can take a lot out of you. My husband was sick for several days when he had it.

Really it seem Ashley has been through a lot this year -- she had a head cold during TEB, got a hip pointer during GPF then food posioning a week before Nationals...I'm hoping that she can stay away from all of those things for 4CC and Worlds.

I always take these stories with a grain of salt. The more things change in the world of figure skating, the more they stay the same-even in my day, there used to be a joke that skaters thought up there maladies far ahead of the skate-IOW: We had our excuses ready!