Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP

Custom Title
    Ladies Nationals used to be so much fun. These days it just feels like a big punch in the gut. I should have known the universe was trying to tell me something was up when my DVR didn't record it...

What I have found on youtube it seems like the second to last flight was a lot more consistent. Gracie was wonderful, I just wish she had held it together in the sp. Then her scores for the free wouldn't feel so ridiculous.

Ashley... I mean I think it makes sense that Ashley won. When you think about the mistakes Gracie made in the short and the mistakes Ashley made in the long they are similar. And it definitely makes sense that Ashley would have a higher PCS. I just hate feeling so uninspired by the winner (and she HAS inspired me before). Still... politics wise, it makes perfect sense that the USFSA would put their weight behind Ashley. Total sense. And after Gracie's mistakes in the short I get why they gave it to her.

I haven't been able to watch Mirai's program yet. Someone did post a video of her scores going up so show the moment Ashley won, and Ashley's interview through to the awkward interaction between Ashley and Gracie. Really heartbreaking to see. Normally I'm all for composure in the kiss and cry, but I can't blame Mirai for her reaction. She's worked so hard this year, and it showed. But she just got hit with the flu at the wrong moment. UGH. WHY SKATE GODS, WHY?!?!?!

I need to watch Mirai, Agnes and Courtney and then I'll have seen the top 8.

It's just such a shame that for the second nationals in a row I almost feel that I wish I hadn't even bothered to watch...

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Definitely, Gao should have won at least a pewter medal, and Cesario should have been ahead of both Hicks and Siraj in fifth place IMHO. Agnes was extremely lucky to even be on the podium.
    1. Gracie Gold
    2. Ashley Wagner
    3. Christina Gao
    4. Courtney Hicks.
    5. Samantha Cesario.
    6. Agnes

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Cesario doing a fabulous job! Love her and so glad she's healthy again. This group of ladies way exceeded expectations. What a great competition to have a ticket to and see it from the stands!
    I hope Samantha, Courtney and Hannah would be able to get more international senior experience to get the cred and the PCS!

Quote Originally Posted by lilshorty View Post
    Gao very reminiscent of Lu Chen imo. The style, the grace, the elegance. Wonderful job!
    She does remind me of Chen Lu!

Quote Originally Posted by willdu View Post
    I feel like Christina could easily do a 3f + 3T like she used to. She gets some amazing height anyways.
    She needs to really risk it!

Ashley is very good but if Courtney gets more international credentials and continues to be consistent with her triple triples (and improved artistry) the she could be a challenger not only for Nationals but for Sochi!

Custom Title
    Please let Gracie go to another choreographer who knows what her strengths are. Staying with Scott Brown isn't going to cut it. She needs imput from other people. Wow though once this girl really learns to skate and not just jump she will really be something.

Congrats to Ashley, she just eeked out that win, I am happy for her that she defended her title.

Highlights for me were Gracie Gold's great skate, Christina Gao (she is lovely to watch) and Caroline Zhang's smile in the K&C
    when her scores came up.

Agnes could not take the pressure and poor Mirai 7th place and her tears just broke my heart.

Congratulations to the Ladies!

I hope we get 3 spots with the Wagner/Gold combo.......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    It was a very emotional night. The second to last group skated so well. It really would have been so fantastic to see the last group skate with more chutzpah than nerves. It's got to be so seriously hard to do though under those intense circumstances.

There's no question that Gracie needs to work more on polishing and refinement, and hopefully she can get to that point. She obviously needs some time to mature. Her jumps this evening were absolutely pure and flawless. It won't be easy to show that every time out, but let's see if this Nationals fp at least will be a turning point for her. She also needs to continue to beware of the "too much hype" machine. It can be a killer -- just ask Caroline and Mirai.
    Mirai was 4th and highest placement for us at the Olympics in a PACKED field in a final that wasn't a splatfest, so I have a hard time stomaching people calling her overhyped. As far as I'm concerned, she lived up to every bit of hype.

Yes, having issues and now getting over them (good for her), but no different than Wagner's long string of dubious-terrible performances prior to last year...

Unfortunately, Gracie's name makes it impossible for her to avoid being [over]hyped. That part is in brackets, because she's more than capable of living up to it. The ball's in her court.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think it was a combination of nerves and setbacks including the whole food poisoning thing that kept her away from the ice just a week before nationals. I know it sounds laughable, but I've seen it in action (unfortunate) and it really can take a lot out of you. My husband was sick for several days when he had it.

Really it seem Ashley has been through a lot this year -- she had a head cold during TEB, got a hip pointer during GPF then food posioning a week before Nationals...I'm hoping that she can stay away from all of those things for 4CC and Worlds.

I always take these stories with a grain of salt. The more things change in the world of figure skating, the more they stay the same-even in my day, there used to be a joke that skaters thought up there maladies far ahead of the skate-IOW: We had our excuses ready!

Custom Title
    Ashley DID NOT DEFEND the National title...it was given to her by a group of US judges who should be embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateNater View Post
    Mirai was 4th and highest placement for us at the Olympics in a PACKED field in a final that wasn't a splatfest, so I have a hard time stomaching people calling her overhyped. As far as I'm concerned, she lived up to every bit of hype.

Yes, having issues and now getting over them (good for her), but no different than Wagner's long string of dubious-terrible performances prior to last year...

Unfortunately, Gracie's name makes it impossible for her to avoid being [over]hyped. That part is in brackets, because she's more than capable of living up to it. The ball's in her court.
    Mirai had one good competition. Both Tukt and Sotnikova have had more success internationally than Nagasu, and they've been on the scene far less. Mirai is a beautiful skater with all of the talent in the world, but no she hasn't lived up to her talent. I think the USFSA is frustrated and done.

Custom Title
    So glad for Gracie- she was just unconscious in the fs, huge lutz combo, NICE loop (no pop or flub), no worries or jitters.
    After that final scratch spin, much relief out there, whew!
    Now that I'm hearing about all this drama in the ladies, I'm really excited- I hope they show the entire free on NBC, backstage drama and all, meltdowns, everything...haven't been this excited for a while. The countdown to Sochi just got really fun.

Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    So glad for Gracie- she was just unconscious in the fs, huge lutz combo, NICE loop (no pop or flub), no worries or jitters.
    After that final scratch spin, much relief out there, whew!
    Now that I'm hearing about all this drama in the ladies, I'm really excited- I hope they show the entire free on NBC, backstage drama and all, meltdowns, everything...haven't been this excited for a while. The countdown to Sochi just got really fun.
    I saw a clip of Gracie's supposed "diva moment" and there's was nothing diva about it. She looked simply tired.

Custom Title
    Random comments since the forum crashed last night...

Such a strange competition there at the end. I feel like with all of her clout and international potential, Ashley did enough to win anyway, it just feels so weird because they gave Gracie such a massive score likely because they assumed the good performances would keep coming, especially from those expected to perform (ironically the ones who weren't able to) and so they had to get crafty with the number manipulation in the end which really soured the competition. I can't imagine how casual viewers felt about that one, it may have come off as a huge wuzrobbed debacle.

You could see it all over her face that Gracie was disappointed not to win as well, but in a positive light, it's got to be better for her not to have the extra pressure of being the champion going to her first Worlds as a 17 year old kid, especially given how much she was feeling the pressure in this event. That excellently skated program seemed very cathartic for her, she just let it all go there when it was over. It's easy to forget this experience is all so new to her -hopefully this event was a good life lesson on managing expectations and she won't let them weigh her down so much going forward.

I do think they would have given Zawadski the marks if she didn't bomb for once. Mirai maybe not (although you can also say Ashley was placed above Gracie just in case Mirai nailed it - there's no way they were ever going to leave Wagner off the Worlds team no matter how this competition went) but I still don't see them trying to bury her either way as some have suggested. Not this year they weren't at least. I love her but she deserved her score relative to most of the programs we saw tonight. So many visible errors and not in a "let's go to the slow motion replay" sense, it was clear on first viewing that that was going to get wrecked by the technical panel.

Gao should have won at the very least a pewter. It just doesn't seem right to let a skater of such quality go unappreciated within her own country. On the bright side for her, it's only her second real senior season and she's been making good progress internationally so you've got to be kidding if you expect this to even get her to consider retirement.

Most awkward camera shot ever? Ashley Wagner smirking as Mirai collapses into tears behind her. That is so gif worthy, I can see non-figureskating fans/forums playing with that one for years to come.
    Last edited by Kissx3; 01-27-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast