Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies LP

Tripping on the Podium
    Is there a reason that Gracie doesn't put the 3lutz/toe as her combo in the short? She seems so much more consistent with it!

I understand that Ashley had a lead from the short program. But just judging the LP in isolation, was hers the second best performance that we saw last night?

One judge gave her PCS of 9.25, 9.00, 9.25, 9.00, and 9.25. (Although in fairness, that judge gave everyone high scores across the board, including a 9.25 in SS and a 9.00 in P/E to Agnes Z.)

Biggest thrill: Caroline Zhang. Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!

Custom Title
    For a moment I thought Mirai would fall to the ground and throw a fit! She should have given off finger as she walk off! "Screw you life!!"

Seriously though what a night! That was exhausting to watch.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    The first half of Czisny's performance in 2009 was magical. And she fell once, not twice. There were also no other great performances by the ladies at 2009 Nationals - Caroline Zhang and Rachael Flatt did well technically in that competition, but their performances were abysmal.

Wagner's performance tonight was mostly flat and seriously marred. I would have placed her 7th in the LP (behind all of Gold, Hicks, Cesario, Wang, Gao, Zhang). It was not good. I suppose she deserved 2nd overall because of her SP, though.
    I thought the front half of Ashley's program was solid and confident. No hesitation into the jumps, great speed and flow etc. I think the lack of triple/triple detracts a bit, but otherwise, it was enough.
    I feel very sorry for Mirai, but she didn't bring it compared to those who went before her, even way before her. Her program was an uncomfortable mess. She needs to relax, smile and stop looking as if someone off ice is waiting to execute her. She is over thinking every element. Compare this to Ashley, who, in the beginning was Attack attack attack. It was all muscle memory for Ashley, no doubting or overthinking, probably from doing the program over and over and over again. (Yes, at the end her legs gave out-it happens)
    Agnes and Mirai and to a lesser extent Ashley need to work on conditioning before next year. Agnes especially.
    From the breakdown, I'm happy to see that Angela was rewarded (although I thought her scores were too low), as she was beautiful last night. Gold has spectacular jumps, but I too felt she was overscored for the rest of the program.

I think Caroline will be back next year-from the (dramatic!)improvement she has already made over the past two years, I would guess she has an amazing work ethic. Last night even her speed was much better.

Custom Title
    I can't believe people are saying Gracie should have won. Did nobody watch the SP?

Also, the fluff pieces and commentary on Gracie throughout the SP were a bit nauseating. If she wants the attention then she needs to earn it, by performing in the SP like she did in the LP. Then next year do the fluff pieces.

The ISU simply must address the inadequacies of the scoring system, or else admit flat out that they have abandoned the concept of figure skating as a spectator sport.

You cannot ask people to pay their money to watch a sporting event where they see one amazing program after another, then they give the prize to a lackluster performance with two falls.

The excuse that we must arrange it so that we can send the "right" skaters to worlds doesn't cut it.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Yuck. What a sad competition. Not leaving me optimistic for worlds. But let's hope that Ashley will be strong and confident again by then and that Gracie shows what she did last night because it was stellar. At least they both have grit!

It's hard to quibble with Ashley's win when the other top girls were so flawed. I feel awful for Mirai but her grim LP was difficult to watch. She needs new coaches (again) and she needs to decide if she truly is enjoying herself or if she's sticking with skating because it's the only thing she's ever known.

Also feel a bit confused about Christina. I know she made mistakes but somehow if fees like she should have been higher.

Best of luck to Ashley and Gracie. I do feel they are the right two to send to worlds based on Nationals. At least Ashley had a very good SP and Gracie had a spectacular LP. Mirai could have made a strong case for herself and made it impossible for the judges to say no to her. But she didn't. I'll still be rooting for her next year.
    Last edited by Layfan; 01-27-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The ISU simply must address the inadequacies of the scoring system, or else admit flat out that they have abandoned the concept of figure skating as a spectator sport.

You cannot ask people to pay their money to watch a sporting event where they see one amazing program after another, then they give the prize to a lackluster performance with two falls.

The excuse that we must arrange it so that we can send the "right" skaters to worlds doesn't cut it.
    Maybe it's a lost cause. Think back to the 1988 Olympics when Midori Ito stole the show and still lost to mediocre performances because of figures that the audience didn't see or care about. So......

Custom Title

Yes, the inadequacies that count both the SP and the LP, the horror...

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Maybe it's a lost cause. Think back to the 1988 Olympics when Midori Ito stole the show and still lost to mediocre performances because of figures that the audience didn't see or care about. So......
    True. (Although Liz Manley's free skate wasn't exactly mediocre. : ) ) But back then the reaction of the ISU was to overhaul the system by tossing out figures. It seems that now their reaction is, we know best -- if you don't like it, go watch some other sport.

Ashley's tech score in the LP was beaten by Gracie Gold, Courtney Hicks, Jasmin Siraj, Christina Gao, Angela Wang, Samantha Cesario, and even the USFS whipping girl Caroline Zhang.

I am not trying to pick on Ashley here. I think her injury took more out of her than she is admitting. Still, her LP performance was not the second best of the night. And yet, that is how it was scored.

Custom Title
    In fairness, the campaign to get rid of figures existed before Ito and Manley took to the ice.

I think the ISU is fine saying it's not a spectator sport. Mathman, I suspect you'd rather they didn't admit that though.

When I saw Mirai's score and final placement, I figured out the reason the boards crashed

Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Yes, the inadequacies that count both the SP and the LP, the horror...
    You said that in a joking way, but yes, that is one of the problems. A skater can build up such a big lead in the short program that the LP is irrelevant. Who would pay money to go to a sporting event (the climactic U.S. Nationals Ladies Long Program -- ta da!) when you already know who is going to win, no matter how badly they perform?

Custom Title
    Long time reader, first time poster.

I can't remember the last time Nationals was this exciting to watch.

Beyond thrilled that Gracie lived up to her hype. You can just tell NBC/USFSA is desperate to have her as the Sochi star based on the amount of coverage BEFORE her free skate. But that free skate was magnificent. I think going to Worlds as the second place American and not having to be the defending champ at Olympic trial nationals will benefit her in the long run.

Wish Wagner could have been clean if tentative in the free so there would not be all the Gracie was robbed talk. I knew the judges would keep Wagner in first as they weren't going to take the chance of her in second and then Mirai skating lights out. Yes, her score was padded but Gracie was padded a bit in the short to keep her in the mix and had high PCS in the long. So, I think its about even and understand why they did what they did.

Sad for Mirai. I didn't think she needed to fall all the way to seventh. Judges were letting her know she is not in their Olympic mix, I guess. Saw Ashley smirk a bit at her score but I thought that was maybe because she knew it was a major low-ball and not because of mean girl antics.

I'm over waiting for Agnes to pull it together in the free- I thought Gao should have been above her but I guess that spin fluke did her in in the short. Hicks had some great technical content but was clunky and had a fall. I loved Wang and Miller and am excited to see what the 2014-2018 quad holds for them. I'm assuming they are too low for any GP assignments next year?

Very excited for the run up to Sochi. Crossing fingers Ashley will heal up and FS Gracie will show up to get us that third spot!

True. (Although Liz Manley's free skate wasn't exactly mediocre. : ) ) But back then the reaction of the ISU was to overhaul the system by tossing out figures. It seems that now their reaction is, we know best -- if you don't like it, go watch some other sport.

Ashley's tech score in the LP was beaten by Gracie Gold, Courtney Hicks, Jasmin Siraj, Christina Gao, Angela Wang, Samantha Cesario, and even the USFS whipping girl Caroline Zhang.

I am not trying to pick on Ashley here. I think her injury took more out of her than she is admitting. Still, her LP performance was not the second best of the night. And yet, that is how it was scored.
    Hmm. When you put it that way, that is a head scratcher. Yes, okay, Ashley was overscored in the PCS. On the other hand, she did perform it. Looking at the competition over all, who should have won? Mirai with her bummer of a FS? Agnes with two error filled programs? Gracie with her disaster of a an SP? Christina who was lovely but let's be honest, she had a major mistake in the short and errors here and there in the long. I'm glad Caroline had good skates but it feel her shortcomings are glaring. Same with Hicks etal.

In some ways, the biggest head scratcher is Agnes being third with two mistake filled programs.

Everyone sort of tied for mediocre this nationals if you ask me.

I didn't say Ashley's SP was spectacular. But yes it was very good. If not very good then good. it certainly wasn't average. As for the choreo I suppose it's a matter of taste but I adore her SP choreo and find it memorable. Definitely glad we will be seeing again at worlds.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 01-27-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: delete quoted unapproved post

Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast