Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Czisny undergoes successful hip surgery

  1. #1
    Keepin' it real gsk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,117

    News Czisny undergoes successful hip surgery

    USFS Press Release:

    OMAHA, Neb. (Jan. 25, 2013) – Alissa Czisny, a two-time U.S. champion, underwent successful surgery to repair damage in the joint capsule of her left hip caused by a hip dislocation. Czisny dislocated her hip on Jan. 12, while performing her free skate at the 2013 Fox Cities Invitational in Appleton, Wis.

    The surgery was performed in Nashville by Dr. J.W. Thomas Byrd, who has served as a physician for the U.S. Olympic Team and the Tennessee Titans. Czisny will be off the ice for approximately six weeks.

    Czisny is a two-time U.S. champion (2009, ’11), the 2010 Grand Prix Final champion and an eight-time Grand Prix Series medalist.

    Czisny withdrew earlier this month from the 2013 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, which are going on through Jan. 27, in Omaha, Neb.

  2. #2
    Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    521
    Aww Good luck to Alyssa in her recovery!

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    648
    Best wishes to Alissa for quick and complete recovery. Let's hope that she will soon be healthy enough to pursue whatever she wishes to pursue in the coming year.

  4. #4
    Custom Title macy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    554
    so good to hear! i hope she takes this recovery slowly and makes decisions that are smart especially in regards to not rushing getting back into skating. stay strong alissa!

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,969
    Great to hear that the operation is over with. I hope she recovers completely and uneventfully.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,258
    Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    so good to hear! i hope she takes this recovery slowly and makes decisions that are smart especially in regards to not rushing getting back into skating. stay strong alissa!
    It was rushing back to skating that necessitated the second surgery.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    It was rushing back to skating that necessitated the second surgery.
    I thought she had followed her doctor's orders. Wrong?

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,258
    She had the first surgery in July and had scheduled NHK just 4 months later. She withdrew from NHK just about a week ahead of time. She may have followed doctor's orders, but it seems that her hip is much more delicate than the doctor realized if a simple fall could so easily dislocate her hip.

    Seems to me there's no guarantee the same thing couldn't happen again if she returns to training and competition.

  9. #9
    Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,729
    FigureSkatingHarlem ‏@FSinHarlem
    #alissaczisny is just 1 of the skaters who'll be at our annual Gala on 4/8! Check out our event page for more info: http://goo.gl/sEm9v
    7:42 AM - 30 Mar 13
    https://twitter.com/FSinHarlem/statu...10341210599424

    It's @FSinHarlem's "Skating with the Stars Gala" (not a show), but presumably Czisny will be on skates. I wonder whether attendees will be able to get any sense of her viability for the coming season.

    BTW, skaters who will participate:
    "Evan Lysacek, Sarah Hughes, Tara Lipinski, Sasha Cohen, Tanith Belbin, Paul Wylie, Tim Goebel, Kimmie Meissner, Johnny Weir, Jeremy Abbott, Alissa Czisny, Javier Fernandez, Ross Miner, Christina Gao, Adam Rippon and Agnes Zawadzki and more…"
    Honorees are NBC Sports broadcaster Andrea Joyce and Fashion Designer B Michael of b michael AMERICA.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    220
    Oh wow! I doubt she'll be jumping but it will be great to see her in action again.

    Seems like she'll be competing again too, according to her wiki where it says:

    "In March of 2013 Czisny resumed her regular training schedule at the Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. She plans to compete during 2013-2014 season and hopes to earn on spot on the United States Ladies Olympic team. However, her absence during the 2012-2013 season could prevent her from being invited to participate in any of the ISU Senior Grand Prix competitions. Despite the struggles she has faced this past year she continues to be a fan favorite for the 2014 Olympics because of her superior artistry and spins. She has neither confirmed nor denied if she plans to retire after the 2013-2014 season."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alissa_...2.80.93present

  11. #11
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,064
    I am always curious about who writes these Wikipedia pages on skaters.

  12. #12
    Custom Title FSGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by ffionhanathomas View Post
    Oh wow! I doubt she'll be jumping but it will be great to see her in action again.

    Seems like she'll be competing again too, according to her wiki where it says:

    "In March of 2013 Czisny resumed her regular training schedule at the Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. She plans to compete during 2013-2014 season and hopes to earn on spot on the United States Ladies Olympic team. However, her absence during the 2012-2013 season could prevent her from being invited to participate in any of the ISU Senior Grand Prix competitions. Despite the struggles she has faced this past year she continues to be a fan favorite for the 2014 Olympics because of her superior artistry and spins. She has neither confirmed nor denied if she plans to retire after the 2013-2014 season."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alissa_...2.80.93present
    "A fan favorite for the 2014 Olympics"? Well, I think that, even if she goes back to her 2010-2011 form (extremely improbable thing), it wouldn't be enough for the podium, maybe not even for the top6 at the Olympics (and all of this IF she earns an Olympic spot)...
    I'm happy that this operation went well and I wish her the best, but I don't really think that she has an Olympic chance right now (but who knows)...

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I'm happy that this operation went well and I wish her the best, but I don't really think that she has an Olympic chance right now (but who knows)...
    I don't think she'll be healthy enough to do her full set of triples, but if she does I could see her getting the 3rd spot. There is a huge gap between Ashley/Gracie and the rest of the US field.

    I think "fan favorite" means the fans like her, not that they think she will actually do well

  14. #14
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    co-hk-aix
    Posts
    7
    The "Artistry on Ice" 2013 tour by Shen&Zhao will invite Alissa to attend the first show of the tour, which will be in Taipei on Jun 8th. (Not sure if she'll also join the rest of the shows...) They recently made the announcement on the official webpage and FB page of Artistry on Ice.

  15. #15
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,064
    Thanks for the information, cohkaix. Welcome!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •