Czisny undergoes successful hip surgery | Golden Skate

Czisny undergoes successful hip surgery

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USFS Press Release:

OMAHA, Neb. (Jan. 25, 2013) – Alissa Czisny, a two-time U.S. champion, underwent successful surgery to repair damage in the joint capsule of her left hip caused by a hip dislocation. Czisny dislocated her hip on Jan. 12, while performing her free skate at the 2013 Fox Cities Invitational in Appleton, Wis.

The surgery was performed in Nashville by Dr. J.W. Thomas Byrd, who has served as a physician for the U.S. Olympic Team and the Tennessee Titans. Czisny will be off the ice for approximately six weeks.

Czisny is a two-time U.S. champion (2009, ’11), the 2010 Grand Prix Final champion and an eight-time Grand Prix Series medalist.

Czisny withdrew earlier this month from the 2013 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, which are going on through Jan. 27, in Omaha, Neb.

Robeye

Final Flight
Best wishes to Alissa for quick and complete recovery. Let's hope that she will soon be healthy enough to pursue whatever she wishes to pursue in the coming year.

macy

Record Breaker
so good to hear! i hope she takes this recovery slowly and makes decisions that are smart especially in regards to not rushing getting back into skating. stay strong alissa!

Great to hear that the operation is over with. I hope she recovers completely and uneventfully.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
so good to hear! i hope she takes this recovery slowly and makes decisions that are smart especially in regards to not rushing getting back into skating. stay strong alissa!

It was rushing back to skating that necessitated the second surgery.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She had the first surgery in July and had scheduled NHK just 4 months later. She withdrew from NHK just about a week ahead of time. She may have followed doctor's orders, but it seems that her hip is much more delicate than the doctor realized if a simple fall could so easily dislocate her hip.

Seems to me there's no guarantee the same thing couldn't happen again if she returns to training and competition.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FigureSkatingHarlem ‏@FSinHarlem
#alissaczisny is just 1 of the skaters who'll be at our annual Gala on 4/8! Check out our event page for more info: http://goo.gl/sEm9v
7:42 AM - 30 Mar 13
https://twitter.com/FSinHarlem/status/318010341210599424

It's @FSinHarlem's "Skating with the Stars Gala" (not a show), but presumably Czisny will be on skates. I wonder whether attendees will be able to get any sense of her viability for the coming season.

BTW, skaters who will participate:
"Evan Lysacek, Sarah Hughes, Tara Lipinski, Sasha Cohen, Tanith Belbin, Paul Wylie, Tim Goebel, Kimmie Meissner, Johnny Weir, Jeremy Abbott, Alissa Czisny, Javier Fernandez, Ross Miner, Christina Gao, Adam Rippon and Agnes Zawadzki and more…"​
Honorees are NBC Sports broadcaster Andrea Joyce and Fashion Designer B Michael of b michael AMERICA.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Oh wow! I doubt she'll be jumping but it will be great to see her in action again.

Seems like she'll be competing again too, according to her wiki where it says:

"In March of 2013 Czisny resumed her regular training schedule at the Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. She plans to compete during 2013-2014 season and hopes to earn on spot on the United States Ladies Olympic team. However, her absence during the 2012-2013 season could prevent her from being invited to participate in any of the ISU Senior Grand Prix competitions. Despite the struggles she has faced this past year she continues to be a fan favorite for the 2014 Olympics because of her superior artistry and spins. She has neither confirmed nor denied if she plans to retire after the 2013-2014 season."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alissa_Czisny#2010.E2.80.93present

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Oh wow! I doubt she'll be jumping but it will be great to see her in action again.

Seems like she'll be competing again too, according to her wiki where it says:

"In March of 2013 Czisny resumed her regular training schedule at the Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. She plans to compete during 2013-2014 season and hopes to earn on spot on the United States Ladies Olympic team. However, her absence during the 2012-2013 season could prevent her from being invited to participate in any of the ISU Senior Grand Prix competitions. Despite the struggles she has faced this past year she continues to be a fan favorite for the 2014 Olympics because of her superior artistry and spins. She has neither confirmed nor denied if she plans to retire after the 2013-2014 season."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alissa_Czisny#2010.E2.80.93present
"A fan favorite for the 2014 Olympics"? :rolleye: Well, I think that, even if she goes back to her 2010-2011 form (extremely improbable thing), it wouldn't be enough for the podium, maybe not even for the top6 at the Olympics (and all of this IF she earns an Olympic spot)...
I'm happy that this operation went well and I wish her the best, but I don't really think that she has an Olympic chance right now (but who knows)...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm happy that this operation went well and I wish her the best, but I don't really think that she has an Olympic chance right now (but who knows)...

I don't think she'll be healthy enough to do her full set of triples, but if she does I could see her getting the 3rd spot. There is a huge gap between Ashley/Gracie and the rest of the US field.

I think "fan favorite" means the fans like her, not that they think she will actually do well :laugh:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
The "Artistry on Ice" 2013 tour by Shen&Zhao will invite Alissa to attend the first show of the tour, which will be in Taipei on Jun 8th. (Not sure if she'll also join the rest of the shows...) They recently made the announcement on the official webpage and FB page of Artistry on Ice.

Layfan

Record Breaker
The "Artistry on Ice" 2013 tour by Shen&Zhao will invite Alissa to attend the first show of the tour, which will be in Taipei on Jun 8th. (Not sure if she'll also join the rest of the shows...) They recently made the announcement on the official webpage and FB page of Artistry on Ice.

How wonderful for Alissa. Nice to hear she will be back doing what she loves.

Victura

On the Ice
FigureSkatingHarlem ‏@FSinHarlem
#alissaczisny is just 1 of the skaters who'll be at our annual Gala on 4/8! Check out our event page for more info: http://goo.gl/sEm9v
7:42 AM - 30 Mar 13
https://twitter.com/FSinHarlem/status/318010341210599424
It's @FSinHarlem's "Skating with the Stars Gala" (not a show), but presumably Czisny will be on skates. I wonder whether attendees will be able to get any sense of her viability for the coming season.

Thanks for this info! I wish the tickets to attend were a little more reasonable, as I'd love to go to this. (It seems the lowest one can contribute to attend the gala is $325, and the next level up is $1200!) The list of skaters sounds quite enviable.

From the listing of events (http://www.nycharities.org/Events/EventLevels.aspx?ETID=5904) it seems like there won't really be performances, more like just being on the ice with all these skaters skating together. If anyone attends, would love to hear a report of how it went.

Glad to see Alissa has resumed training and is scheduled to do a show in June. All the best to her.