2013 US Nationals Senior Mens SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Mens SP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ross Miner

4S - look like he got it--but it may be UR.
3A - got it here
spin
3Z-3T - and nails it!
spin
sit
spin

Great skate for Ross. He definitely made a statement here!

42.10 + 38.89 = 80.99 (2nd after 19 skaters)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Why do a quad at Nationals when you don't need it?

When is he going to do a quad then? It's kind of like the 3-3 for ladies. A lot of skaters keep putting it off like, "Oh, I'll do it on the GP circuit next season, which turns to oh, maybe Nationals. Four Continents/Europeans? Nope. Worlds then! Oh, crap. That did not turn out well." I think it would benefit them in the long run if they tested those elements out in competition at least once or twice.

Then again, I don't really follow Abbott, so I don't know if he's done a quad all season.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The top 3 currently are my dream men's podium, except I would switch Miner and Farris! :love:

jan

On the Ice
If he is serious about a world medal at some point he needs one quad if not two.

When is he going to do a quad then? It's kind of like the 3-3 for ladies. A lot of skaters keep putting it off like, "Oh, I'll do it on the GP circuit next season, which turns to oh, maybe Nationals. Four Continents/Europeans? Nope. Worlds then! Oh, crap. That did not turn out well." I think it would benefit them in the long run if they tested those elements out in competition at least once or twice.

Then again, I don't really follow Abbott, so I don't know if he's done a quad all season.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Abbott has had a bad back this season so maybe he's not up to it yet. So try a quad and injure yourself before Worlds? Not smart.

emma

Record Breaker
very fun to watch the men's SP and thanks Mrs. P for all the pbp's.

Grant is one of so many gorgeous skaters...it reminds me of just how much talent there is in skating. too bad for the fall...but his program and his skating are captivating.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Grant Hochstein
3A - holds on
3Z- fall
spin
3F-2T
spin
step
spin

34.35 + 32.33 -1 65.68 = 11th out of 20th skaters

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Keegan shouldn't worry too much about his placement - the number 13 is luck for a lot of Alaskan athletes.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Abbott's biggest problem at this stage of his career is his age & what his body is capable of doing. My congratulations to my 3 favorites; Miner, Aaron & Dornbush! I think Max has 2 quads planned for his free skate.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Abbott has had a bad back this season so maybe he's not up to it yet. So try a quad and injure yourself before Worlds? Not smart.

Why didn't you just say that before? :(

I briefly looked up the protocols for some of Jeremy's international competitions-- he doesn't usually go for a quad in the SP, but goes for one in the LP. That having been said, his attempts last year were all given -GOE except at Nationals. Oh well, at least he's trying.

Can't wait to see his SP when it's posted on YouTube too!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The bad back had ended by the gp in France, where he won silver.

Abbott's back problems have not ended; it's recurring, comes and goes. He reportedly has a physical therapist he regularly visits to help treat it. Most skaters have nagging pain, particularly when they are an advanced age for a skater as Jeremy is. He has to constantly monitor and manage his health and the pain and he has to limit the number of repetitions for the quad jumps. Without the run-through numbers in practice, he can't be expected to feel comfortable with that element in competition. He has made the choice to go more conservative to try and stay clean and I can't say I blame him for it.

macy

Record Breaker
Watching the ice desk now...Lol Tanith! Ripp-en instead of rippon. Adam is hilarious.

Orange Cat

On the Ice
Looking at the protocols, it looks as though there has been a transcription error? The BV for the triple axel is 9.35 for Abbott but it is only 8.5 for Miner and Farris?

Anyway, looking forwards to the videos!! So glad Miner and Farris did well.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hope Josh and Jason skate clean in the LP. They showed tonight that they belong with the big boys. I see both of them passing up some of the skaters ahead of them in the next 2 years. They are the future of US Mens skating.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking at the protocols, it looks as though there has been a transcription error? The BV for the triple axel is 9.35 for Abbott but it is only 8.5 for Miner and Farris?

Abbott's 3Axel comes after the 2 minute bonus. He gets extra credit for placing it late in his program.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Jeremy, the smart guy he was, did it in the second half, so he gets a 1.1 percent bonus = 9.35 BV. :)