Switch from ISI FS to USFS adult levels? | Golden Skate

Switch from ISI FS to USFS adult levels?

rinkrat427

Spectator
Hi everyone! I'm new here but definitely not new to skating - I skated as a young kid and I'm now a mommy. I've got a question that I'm hoping someone on here can answer (sorry in advance for the somewhat long explanation...).

I know that USFS recently changed the allowed jumps in Adult Gold to be a choice of an Axel, 2Sal or 2Toe, which is what has me on a research quest to figure out where I fit in the USFS adult test/competition structure. In previous versions of the USFS rulebook (as recently as 2010), you could compete in Adult Gold if you have only successfully tested up to the ISI freestyle 6 test, but you'd have to compete Masters Intermediate-Novice or up if you passed any of the ISI FS7-10 tests (assuming, of course, that the corresponding USFS level freestyle tests were passed prior to competition).

I started skating and testing in ISI and passed the FS 7 test, which has a 2Toe and a flying camel on it. When I decided to switch over to USFS, I started to test the standard track, since that FS 7 test disallowed me from competing no lower than Intermediate. But the 2011 and later versions of the USFS rulebook do not mention the ISI tests at all. Does that mean I could compete at Adult Gold instead of Masters Intermediate-Novice (where 2Lo is allowed)? To me, this would make sense, since the jump and spin elements' difficulty for ISI FS7 and Adult Gold are about equal now, and taking 2 less tests is definitely cheaper for me. :)

Thanks in advance!

leafygreens

Final Flight
You're right, it used to be in the rule book but I can't find it there anymore. Maybe email the USFS?

mskater93

Record Breaker
It was removed from the requirements. You can always email Gail Sombati, Chair of the Adult Committee, if you would like clarification. Her contact info is on the adult page.

rinkrat427

Spectator
Thanks for the replies, I've emailed Gail about it and will post her response when I get one, so everyone knows :)

vlaurend

Final Flight
Yes, as Mskater93 said, those ISI test limitations were removed from the USFSA rules in 2011, so your ISI level no longer dictates what level you have to compete in USFSA. Never a bad idea to contact Gail or your Vice-Chair, though, as you may find out some other useful information. They are all very helpful and are adult skaters themselves so they "get it". :)

zaza

Spectator
Thanks for the replies, I've emailed Gail about it and will post her response when I get one, so everyone knows :)

You didn't post back ... I would like to know too.