2013 Europeans Men's LP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2013 Europeans Men's LP

volk

Final Flight
What?? Only one spot for russia? I always thought russia is one of the power houses, maybe not anymore? How bout sochi how many spots they have for all categories. Sorry new to skating world

After Gachinski bombed last worlds russia only has one spot this year.

gioccia

On the Ice
I see only Gachinsky if he manages to handle the pressure, he is promising... But he's not Chan or Hanyu... however hard it is to admit but Russia has never had anyone to replace Plushy...once again Javi was very cool, but I doubt he has a chance to medal if Japanese guys are clean... Hanyu is growing on me... I'd say 1) Hanyu 2) Chan 3) Takahashi

herios

Medalist
That's standard behaviour for skating fans on online boards. Now Chan and Takahashi need to look out, next time Javi bombs everyone will say he's an headcase and not so dangerous after all, lather, rinse and repeat :)
IMO, Javier's win just strengthens the fact that the World title is up for grabs.

Actually the battle for the podium will be very fierce and some great skaters will be left holding the bag!

yukky

Rinkside
looking at men's result,

why PLUSHENKO is listed at the end not before Pavel KASKA who also withdrawn?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I see only Gachinsky if he manages to handle the pressure, he is promising... But he's not Chan or Hanyu... however hard it is to admit but Russia has never had anyone to replace Plushy...once again Javi was very cool, but I doubt he has a chance to medal if Japanese guys are clean... Hanyu is growing on me... I'd say 1) Hanyu 2) Chan 3) Takahashi

Javi though was in a league of his own at Euros
hopefully some of Kovtun, Samarin or Petrov will continue to improve and be promising by next quads for 2018

Kalina

On the Ice
Actually the battle for the podium will be very fierce and some great skaters will be left holding the bag!

Ooops, maybe I used 'up for grabs' incorrectly? What I meant is that now that Javi won, I'm even more convinced that any of the top men could win Worlds and there is no clear favourite. I'm sorry, english is not my first language

Hikaru

Final Flight
Or course all of the above can be improved further, though he has become a lot better in the basic skating skills this year - far smoother already. Against this European competition, he can more than hold his own. It's only when he face the competition outside of Europe that it will be an issue.

I agree with you, I've been watching Javi for several years now and he had made major leaps, advancing really fast. He has improved posture and stamina, but of course he can do even better, I think he takes this very seriously. This is probably one of the best FS designed for him, he is conserving his energy and speed. LAst year with his other FS he seemed to ran out of steam. I think he has paced the jumps very well, and when doing 3 quads, well it shows his strength. I think next year is the time to work on the finishing touches. He is medal contender for sure!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Congratulations to all guys on podium, and Brian !! Congrats to Javi! Fantastic skating!! :)

evangeline

Record Breaker
For the past few years, it was my dream to see Javi as the European Champion and today it finally came true! I'm on cloud nine right now with happiness :)

Hopefully Javi's win and continued success will bring Spain further into the figure skating fold!

Riemann

Rinkside
The location favors Chan, but I think it is safe to say that we have a legitimate four-way race for the world title this year.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I agree, I hope Javier Fernández medals at worlds.

He trains in Canada and has had a fair bit of success there - Skate Canada gold (2012) and silver (2011), GPF bronze (11/12). It'll be like this year's GPF - four really strong candidates, but only three spots.

chloepoco

Medalist
And congratulations to Brian Orser too! He's now the coach of the European & Japanese National champion! Awesome!!:)

Riemann

Rinkside
He trains in Canada and has had a fair bit of success there - Skate Canada gold (2012) and silver (2011), GPF bronze (11/12). It'll be like this year's GPF - four really strong candidates, but only three spots.

Yup. I think it will be the most interesting event this year.

Niki2012

Rinkside
Without doubt, Javi deserved to win, he was remarkable, but how come his PCS suddenly inflated to 89?
He had similar TES and performances at GPF and got only 82 in PCS then.
His pro looks like focusing on technical sides, having lots of resting points.
His SS is not in the same league as Chan and Takahashi yet.
His coach happens to be Orser, that may explain all.

wallylutz

Medalist
Without doubt, Javi deserved to win, he was remarkable, but how come his PCS suddenly inflated to 89?
He had similar TES and performances at GPF and got only 82 in PCS then.
His pro looks like focusing on technical sides, having lots of resting points.
His SS is not in the same league as Chan and Takahashi yet.
His coach happens to be Orser, that may explain all.

I happened to notice significant improvement in Javier's skating skills, even just 2 months later. Why people just speculate it's politics or coach?

Given that Spain is not even a powerful federation, why would Orser have any significant pull with European judges is hard to believe and illogical. :confused:

Finally, his PCS mark increased from 82 to 89, so what? Why it has to be labeled as "inflation"? Why is a skater's score supposed to be anchored for an entire season otherwise, it's "inflation"? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

yude

Record Breaker
I don't get why people suddenly feel the need to say that Chan and Takahashi need to watch out now. As if Takahashi, especially needed more reminding that he needs to be perfect when he lost japanese Nationals to Hanyu, a guy who most people here already forgot or what? I feel that figure skating is a sport where you need to focus on your own self, your own performance and your own form. What others might do or not do is out of your hands! You might skate the skate of your life and finish off podium, you might make mistakes and still win the gold. It's all so unpredictable. But I think it is ridiculous to say that Chan or Takahashi need to be afraid now, or something. Worlds is another story, another day.

:thumbsup:

And additionally, there was the GPF already (and Javi's win at SC over Patrick). Even if some people just realized now that Javi is a medal thread for worlds, I'm pretty sure Patrick and Daisuke knew that already. And between the top 4 we arguably have now (Top 5, if Kozuka wasn't injured), it's going to be really exciting to see who will make the podium at worlds :rock:

:thumbsup:

And congratulations to Brian Orser too! He's now the coach of the European & Japanese National champion! Awesome!!:)

:)