2013 US Nationals Senior FD | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior FD

Davis and White...phenomenal. That lift where she bends backward while standing on him...completely beyond belief.

CAS

On the Ice
B&K came forth in Vancouver in front of a home crowd. The judges weren't afraid to do it then so they certainly won't be afraid to do it in London. Just giving you all some hope ;)

Great skate by D&W and they really seemed to carve out those step sequences so they may have rightfully deserved those level 4s vs national inflation. The skate was pretty much what I expected to see from them, solid. Found the most interesting thing Marina's behaviour in the K&C. Very happy and even had a little fist pump thrown in. Stark contrast to how she was in the K&C at Canadian Nationals. I know it's an old story but in this case with only 7 days separating the event it's hard not to comment on it.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Shibs continue to tank/regress, by next season Hubell/Donohue or Aldrige/Eaton will surpass them
they may not be a factor by 2018, so I think its better for them to break up and find new partners, their partnership is too limited

wallylutz

Medalist
B&K came forth in Vancouver in front of a home crowd. The judges weren't afraid to do it then so they certainly won't be afraid to do it in London. Just giving you all some hope ;)

At the 2001 Worlds in Vancouver, B/K were rebuilding themselves after a disastrous season in the previous year. They dropped significantly in the ranking and at one point, was thought to be finished. In many ways, the 2001 World results was a huge relief because they successfully relaunched themselves back into contention. Later that same year, at the GPF also in Canada, they went on to win the event defeating both the 2000 World Champions, Anissina/Peizerat and the 2001 & reigning World Champions, Fusar-Poli/Margaglio.

That said, D/W has had a good record competing in Canada, losing only the most important event in their career - the Olympic Games. ;)

herios

Medalist
At the 2001 Worlds in Vancouver, B/K were rebuilding themselves after a disastrous season in the previous year. They dropped significantly in the ranking and at one point, was thought to be finished. In many ways, the 2001 World results was a huge relief because they successfully relaunched themselves back into contention. Later that same year, at the GPF also in Canada, they went on to win the event defeating both the 2000 World Champions, Anissina/Peizerat and the 2001 & reigning World Champions, Fusar-Poli/Margaglio.

Wallylutz, all is correct, except that B/K did not defeat at the 2001
GPF Anissina/Peizerat, only F-P / M.

The french won that event, I attended myself.

wallylutz

Medalist

The french won that event, I attended myself.

Nope, you recalled incorrectly, I watched that tape at least 100 times :) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001–2002_Grand_Prix_of_Figure_Skating_Final

Ice dancing

Rank

Name

Nation

TFP

OD

FD1

FD2

1 Shae-Lynn Bourne / Victor Kraatz Canada 3.0 2 2 1
2 Marina Anissina / Gwendal Peizerat France 3.0 1 1 2
3 Margarita Drobiazko / Povilas Vanagas Lithuania 6.4 4 3 3

Barbara Fusar-Poli / Maurizio Margaglio Italy 7.6 3 4 4

Galit Chait / Sergei Sakhnovski Israel 10.0 5 5 5

Marie-France Dubreuil / Patrice Lauzon Canada 12.0 6 6 6

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
B/K won the 2001-2002 GPF, which was held in Kitchner. They also won the 1996-1997 final, which was held in Hamilton. Nothing suspicious about either one of those victories at all.

Shibs continue to tank/regress, by next season Hubell/Donohue or Aldrige/Eaton will surpass them
they may not be a factor by 2018, so I think its better for them to break up and find new partners, their partnership is too limited

:rolleye: They lost the silver by a little over 1 point and less than a point seperated their FD from C/B. And Aldridge/Eaton? Seriously? Honestly, these "Shibutanis must break up now" posts are becoming very redundant.

wallylutz

Medalist
:rolleye: They lost the silver by a little over 1 point and less than a point seperated their FD from C/B. And Aldridge/Eaton? Seriously? Honestly, these "Shibutanis must break up now" posts are becoming very redundant.

No, but they should now seriously consider skating for Japan instead. If they can't expect to be the U.S. Champions even after D/W retire, then there is no point for them to remain in the U.S. in Ice Dance. That's just the way it works in Ice Dance. The Duchesnays switched countries for that and at one point, if B/K wasn't going to win the Canadian Nationals in 1993-94, rumors said they would move to Germany where Kraatz holds citizenship.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

:rolleye: indeed. :)

If getting level 4s on everything, excellent GOE and getting a medal in their third straight senior nationals would be considered tanking, I better not bother living since I'm nowhere as accomplished as those two.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
No, but they should now seriously consider skating for Japan instead. If they can't expect to be the U.S. Champions even after D/W retire, then there is no point for them to remain in the U.S. in Ice Dance. That's just the way it works in Ice Dance. The Duchesnays switched countries for that and at one point, if B/K wasn't going to win the Canadian Nationals in 1993-94, rumors said they would move to Germany where Kraatz holds citizenship.

I agree moving to Japan is their best option they arent going to US champions in the future
with Aldridge/Eaton, Macnamara/Carpenter, Chock/Bates , Hubell.Donohue potentailly surpassing them.

though not sure they might be reluctant to skate for Japana
as they will have to relinquish us citizenship as Japan forbids dual

they have 2 options
1 skate for Japan
2 find new partners that will not limit their capacities, too much cutsey brother/sister programs just wont cut it

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
The Shibs, on paper, aren't as promosing as B/C. Both B/C are former junior world champion. Both are stronger of the previous partnership. After one year together, they became stronger and stronger. By next year, they will leave the Shibs in the dust. And with the Shibs' limited range, it's really over for them. The Shibs are no competition for B/C.

They can keep H/D at bay this year, but the bronze is really up for grab next year.

Better to break up now and prepare for 2018.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No, but they should now seriously consider skating for Japan instead. If they can't expect to be the U.S. Champions even after D/W retire, then there is no point for them to remain in the U.S. in Ice Dance.

:rofl: "No point"? I hope that you are not saying that the Shibutanis' skating career is worthless unless they become U.S. champions. I believe that their many on-ice accomplishments -- past, present, and future -- will remain a source of pride and satisfaction to them (rightfully so), with or without a U.S. title.

And stranger things have happened, but I will be very surprised if the Shibutanis seek Japanese citizenship.

(A) If their #1 priority bar none was a guaranteed path to the Olympics, why didn't they pursue Japanese citizenship years ago -- allowing plenty of time to square everything away for a slot at the Sochi Games as members of Team Japan?

(B) Does anyone even know for sure whether their mother still has her Japanese citizenship? Would not surprise me if she is a naturalized U.S. citizen at this point.
And I don't know where their father was born (in the U.S. or Japan or ???). Even if he too was born in Japan, the same question above would apply to him as well.
(I have raised these questions in at least one previous thread. Never received any answers.)

BTW, I believe that the tuition at U Mich would be much, much higher for the Shibs if they were not U.S. citizens.

But above all, I believe that the Shibutanis are loyal Americans, who love representing the U.S.

sky_fly seems to have purposely omitted an obvious third option, but IMHO, it is the most likely scenario:
3. Continue their partnership with each other as members of Team USA.
I believe also that they love skating with each other, and that their partnership will end only with the retirement of one or both siblings.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
(B) Does anyone even know for sure whether their mother still has her Japanese citizenship? Would not surprise me if she is a naturalized U.S. citizen at this point.
And I don't know where their father was born (in the U.S. or Japan or ???). Even if he too was born in Japan, the same question above would apply to him as well.
(I have raised these questions in at least one previous thread. Never received any answers.)

From this article: http://espn.go.com/espnw/more-sports/7116870/alex-maia-shibutani-make-ice-dancing-family-business

Chris grew up in Chappaqua, N.Y., and Naomi, born in Japan, grew up in Miami. The Shibutani siblings started skating at ages 7 (Alex) and 4 (Maia) in New York. Chris currently works with a hedge fund in Chicago and is able to come home on weekends, Maia said.

So it sounds like Dad is unlikely a Japanese citizen (or likely gave up dual citizenship long ago), so it would be through their mother.

Anyway, these posts are laughable. For me, the fact that people see this result as the Shibs regressing and/or a federation dumping is actually an insult to the improvements made by the teams behind them. The Shibs had a very strong FD and the fact that Chock and Bates beat them, speaks to the fact that Chock and Bates have improved greatly. Not to mention the fact if they didn't have a deduction for an extended lift, they would be virtually tied.

I'll note that the Shibs beat C&B in PCS in both segments.

And yes golden, I agree with you -- they clearly love skating with each other and for team USA and they have a bond with each other that they can't replicate with other partners.

Last edited: