2013 US Nationals Senior FD | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior FD

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I think the usfsa wanted Igor to have a team as close to the top as possible.

But why? Do you think the USFSA is afraid he'll return to Russia if he doesn't get good results? I could see that, I guess. But if that were the case, you'd think they'd want to keep Krylova/Camerlengo happy too . . . BTW, I really hate to think the results were determined by such politicking--I'm not saying it may not be true, but I'd prefer if it weren't. :)

samba

On the Ice
I think the usfsa wanted Igor to have a team as close to the top as possible.

Toni, you hit the nail on the head! Totally agree!! All the US, 2nd to 5th teams, are very close and each team has weakness and strength. USFS inflated the scorres on the team they like. The Shibs have the nicest quality blades and smoothness, same as Lynn and Logan (totally agree with eyria on that). H/D have the power and aggression but sloppy with loud scratchy blades (as Belbin said, "snow flakes" on ice when they skate). C/B can do lots of trick but the skating quality is lacking, particularly Chock. USFS wants to push new team of Igor. They prob. felt Marina won't last and they need Igor for the after "D/W era".

I do not understand how these political conspiracies are supposed to work. Does the President of USFS send a memo to each of the judges saying, here are your instructions: put a Sjpilband team on the podium?

KKonas

Medalist
I do not understand how these political conspiracies are supposed to work. Does the President of USFS send a memo to each of the judges saying, here are your instructions: put a Sjpilband team on the podium?

Neither do I. I know David Raith quite well having worked with him for a couple of years. Don't think he's any expert in ice dance and probably has no particular opinion on who wins. He most likely just places his trust in our judges to send the best possible team to Worlds.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
while I think USFSA did want both Igor and Marina to have a top team. Honestly the real reason Igor team went second was because he's more tech savvy than Zoueva. And she has her "favorites" (pretty evident these days) and the others suffer from it. Shibs need to at least jump to their former coach or a new team entirely.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say I find D and W amazing skaters and great performances but not special and they sitll can't seem to really stretch themselves. great dancing, smae kind of "look" on ice just to a different tune.

I find their programs to have a very wide range.... Bollywood, Tango, a sweeping old world Waltz, a Polka danced to ballet music, a fable danced to the score of a French opera... I don't think they presented the same look to different tunes. I can't wait to see what Marina has come up with for their Olympic programs.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I find their programs to have a very wide range.... Bollywood, Tango, a sweeping old world Waltz, a Polka danced to ballet music, a fable danced to the score of a French opera... I don't think they presented the same look to different tunes. I can't wait to see what Marina has come up with for their Olympic programs.

There's also their Latin club SD, which I really enjoyed. And their bluesy Billie Jean exhibition number from 2010. That was different too. Not to mention their meditative, moody Eleanor Rigby FD.

Beure

Rinkside

This conspiracy seems a bit dubious for me as well. C/B has built up some good omens portending these results over the course of their season internationally. I felt if they skated cleanly it was highly likely they would finish in the top 3. I believe if these were international judges the top 3 teams would be the same.

Beure

Rinkside
while I think USFSA did want both Igor and Marina to have a top team. Honestly the real reason Igor team went second was because he's more tech savvy than Zoueva.

Well yeah if you think being "more tech savvy" means not having extended lifts in your programs. :laugh:

Personally I would file that under getting the basics right. Though I do place prime responsibility for it on the Canton Czarina.

icebeauty

On the Ice
I was in tears watching Meryl and Charlie skate this program. When they first debuted the program at the beginning of the season, I wasn't completely sold, but you could see the potential there...and WOW have they delivered! (I dare say this is on par with Samson and Delilah...if only b/c the style of the two programs are different so it's hard to compare them head to head). I really think they have a good shot at gold at Worlds...and even if Tessa will the be darling of the competition seeing as London, Ontario is her hometown, I'd like Meryl and Charlie to grab the top spot. yes, Tessa and Scott are as great as ever, and their Carmen skate is spectacular, i also find it a little too in your face and almost too powerful, it's 4 minutes of full steam ahead...besides, i think D/W's SD is just pure magic.

you can tell that since Vancouver Meryl and Charlie are really working really hard in every regard to BE the best. Tessa and Scott have continued to improve and take risks and they definitely skate with a "devil may care" attitude especially in the development of their programs, but at times it seems a bit over-indulgent...i guess the best way to put it is i could watch D/W's programs anytime, but i have to be in the right mood to watch V/M otherwise i don't pay attention or am a bit put-off...i dont' know if that actually made sense, but i was a bit surprised to make that revelation over the last two seasons (i REALLY wasn't a fan of V/M's FD last year) especially since i used to find V/M so pleasant to watch...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well yeah if you think being "more tech savvy" means not having extended lifts in your programs. :laugh:

Actually that is one of the things I meant. Zoueva's teams have had the issue CONSISTENTLY all season. Not just the Shibs either. They're having issues with lifts in many ways over in her stable. They don't seem to be getting better, either.

Meanwhile - while the choreography isn't as seamless - Igor's teams are improving (or at least not going backwards) technically.

katha

On the Ice
I think it's become obvious what both Zoueva and Shpilband contributed to the success of their teams when they worked together. The Canton teams are now struggling a bit with levels, technique, problems in lifts etc., not to the point where it's catastrophic or anything, but it's a consistent trend with all the teams. But V/M have a great FD, the Shibutanis' FD is also lovely and IMO D/W have by far the best SD choreography (I'm not convinced by the concept of their FD, though it has great moments). So this is where Zoueva really excels.

The Shilband teams OTOH don't have choreography that's as inventive and seamless, and he really should step away from the "Figure Skating's greatest hits" box LOL. But IMO parts of the choreography are really demanding when it comes to linking movements, transitions into elements, not only the elements themselves. And all the teams usually get the necessary levels, nationally and internationally. So he's got the technique down and how to incorporate it into programs.

I mean, people speculated that this is how the division of work between Zoueva and Shpilband went down anyway, but IMO this season really confirms this.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Was lucky enough to be in Omaha for the Dance. (Wow, it was amazing). Chock and Bates have some neat highlights but just can't get into this team AT ALL. He is too tall, she is pretty but the hearts on her boots drive me crazy, and while they had nice highlights overall I thought their skating skills were below the Shibs. I realize H/D have some work to do to up their technical skills but they are so much better performers. LOVED their FD and wish they were going to Worlds.

I have not given up on the Shibs. They are doing great things with 2 lackluster programs. I could watch them skate for hours and have high hopes for next season.

The main attraction, D/W, did not disappoint. I cried during their program. It was so awesome and I am such a fan that it was unreal to me that I was there seeing it LIVE. I will long cherish the memory of that skate.

riceplate

On the Ice
Meryl and Charlie's performance from the Skating Spectacular: Fade into You
Doubt this music would get any respect if used in a competitive program, but I feel the Free Dance choreography works better here. :biggrin:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
while I think USFSA did want both Igor and Marina to have a top team. Honestly the real reason Igor team went second was because he's more tech savvy than Zoueva. And she has her "favorites" (pretty evident these days) and the others suffer from it. Shibs need to at least jump to their former coach or a new team entirely.

I do think that it may be time for a coaching change. Virtue and Moir and Davis and White are Marina's priorities, but the Shibs need to be somewhere where they can start being groomed to challange Marlie. Next year is an olympic year and if they want to walk away with a medal, I think they should start taking action now.

icebeauty

On the Ice
i know seeing the Shibs in 3rd was a bit of a surprise, but the had two lift deductions, one in the SD and one in the FD. those 2 points would have put them in front of C/B.
obviously it's disappointing that they can't seem to close the gap, but they are some of the best ice dancers in the world in terms of skills and technique and i will ALWAYS love watching them skate, Tracy and Tanith's observations about the team are spot on. Also, they've been in the top tier of dancers for so long (dating back to their junior days) that we forget how young they really are...but regardless, I think they've managed to put out some of the most entertaining, well-executed programs over the past couple of years and i hope they continue to do so.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Shibs are great! And people forget that this is Maia's first year at UMich, and it's not surprising that it's a difficult year for them, especially with Alex's injuries.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Random question/observation:

Was history made in Omaha? :think: Three former roommates reached the ice-dance podium together.
White, Bates, and A. Shibutani all used to live together in Michigan. :party:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, they did!

It was very nice to see how happy Charlie was that Evan (& Madison) made the podium