Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2013 US Nationals Sr Pairs LP

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Yes, there is no refinement or elegance in US pairs skating. It's like none of them have ever attended a ballet class in their life, save Caitlin Yankowskas.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Yes, there is no refinement or elegance in US pairs skating. It's like none of them have ever attended a ballet class in their life, save Caitlin Yankowskas.
    I miss Caitlin.

Custom Title
    This pairs competition was lackluster overall. No Denney/Coughlin and no chance to see Yankowskas/Reagan. I'm really missing Evora/Ladwig (no insult intended to Lindsay Davis), and if Marley/Brubaker were here, I'd bet that could have challenged for that gold medal. Aaaaaargh. At least we have two new pairs that seem to be gelling fast and showing promise (S/K and Z/B). I've just about given up on Donlan/Speroff, much as I think their skating is pretty.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Final results below.

Link to protocols: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...0/SEGM006.html

Place Start No. Name Short Program Free Skate Total Score
    Place
    1 9 Marissa Castelli / Simon Shnapir 1 62.27 3 118.34 180.61
    2 7 Alexa Scimeca / Christopher Knierim 3 52.79 1 119.96 172.75
    3 10 Felicia Zhang / Nathan Bartholomay 2 53.19 2 118.83 172.02
    4 6 Lindsay Davis / Mark Ladwig 5 51.65 4 113.43 165.08
    5 8 Haven Denney / Brandon Frazier 4 52.48 6 109.79 162.27
    6 5 Gretchen Donlan / Andrew Speroff 7 49.81 5 109.86 159.67
    7 3 Tarah Kayne / Daniel O'Shea 9 47.74 7 100.58 148.32
    8 2 Kiri Baga/ Taylor Toth 8 48.13 8 99.95 148.08
    9 4 DeeDee Leng /Timothy LeDuc 6 50.84 10 92.87 143.71
    10 1 Tiffany Vise / Don Baldwin 10 44.41 9 98.94 143.35

Sandra keeps saying "imagine this team at their 5 year mark"

dude, it's US pairs skating - I can't imagine something that will never happen. We're lucky if a team sticks it out for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Sandra keeps saying "imagine this team at their 5 year mark"

dude, it's US pairs skating - I can't imagine something that will never happen. We're lucky if a team sticks it out for 3 years.
    Exactly! They don't stick it out when the going gets tough. Evora/Ladwig are the exception, not the rule.

Custom Title
    Yeah, it's a shame. The elegance/refinement that comes from ballet needs to be developed when the skaters are young, and that doesn't seem to be happening.

And with all these new teams, it seems like they're concentrating so hard on all the elements (which they generally do well) that they forget about a lot of the rest.

Custom Title
    Did you not watch Gretchen Donlan? She has some of the best lift positions in the world. She's more balletic then even Caitlin i think.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Did you not watch Gretchen Donlan? She has some of the best lift positions in the world. She's more balletic then even Caitlin i think.
    Sadly, I think people forget about her a little bit because she's never on TV. Too many chronic jump struggles to really break through.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Nope, didn't watch her. NBC did not broadcast the 1st group.

Custom Title
    There is a reason they have compared her to Katia with her elegance and balletic grace. If only she could land jumps they would blow pass D/C. They have most everything else to be world class.

Banned
    Excited to see Castelli & Shnapir as new U.S Champions. Hopefully they grow from this and can be a top 6 pair in the World by next year.

Custom Title
    I'm happy the Simon and Marissa won. I hoped they would.

Custom Title
    ^^ Me too, Polymer Bob. I wish them a lot of success at Worlds!

Come on, Gretchen Donlan is ballerina personified. Her and Andrew (and indeed all the U.S. pairs that were on the ice today) just need to stay together and develop their partnerships. D/S especially just need to work more intensively on their technical skills and on building confidence together, as they already have artistry, line and musicality in spades. And, Chris and Alexa have enormous potential. As a new team, they came out and performed great in the fp, despite some mistakes in their sp. Felicia and Nate also stepped it up this year, although they are not one of my favorite teams -- still they came out with confidence and energy determined to do their best. Lindsay and Mark, another newly paired team had a lovely and determined skate. Why dump on these pairs?

If Caitlin Yankowskas and her partner had been together long enough, had not suffered an injury, and were fully prepared, then maybe they would have been able to compete here. We don't know. Forming a new partnership is not easy. I wish them the best. And I also wish people would stop acting as if Caitlin Y is some kind of savior or martyr of U.S. pairs figure skating. It's sad that she lost her partner (John who teamed up with Caydee) and that we won't be able to see how far Caitlin and John could have climbed if they'd stayed together. The lesson of such unfortunate break-ups is a cautionary one, and should motivate up-and-coming pairs to stick together through thick and thin.

Please please stop putting down U.S. pairs teams. Understand what it takes, and what it means to build to reach a higher level. Champions do not come out of nowhere. Marissa and Simon are a perfect case in point. They are the only U.S. pairs team currently on the eligible level to have been together for a long time: 7 years -- that makes a huge difference in a partnership. Despite their tightness due to nerves in the fp, Simon and Marissa didn't allow their nerves and Simon's miscue on the sbs spin to hold them back. They held it together and they are clearly the class of this field, in the absence of Caydee and John (and unfortunately the break-up of Rockne and Mary Beth).
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 01-26-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Custom Title
    Castelli & Shnapir got a bit lucky today. That LP would have cost them against some stronger teams.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast