Kaetlyn vs Adelina vs Liza vs Gracie | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn vs Adelina vs Liza vs Gracie

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Who is better/ more promising from this group of skaters? Who wins IF clean? Why?
PS - looking forward to Worlds!!! The old ones vs the new comers))

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Adelina. She is an all around skater with excellent skating skills, huge jumps and the best non-jumping elements. Liza has the cleanest technique and is very expressive, but needs some work on her non-jumping elements and skating skills. I also like Gracie for her beautiful jumps and hope she will make the team (I know, I know, she needs a miracle for it after disaster in SP, but I still prefer her to Nagasu and especially Zawadzki). And I'm not a fan of Kaetlyn at all. She has the transitions but not so much of anything else. Basic skating needs serious work, non-jumping elements are so-so and I don't find her jumps that good, especially her air position

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Adelina has the best spins.

Liza has the best jumps and understanding of music, but by far the worst spins.

Gracie has probably the best all-around package of these skaters.

Kaetlyn seemingly has the best consistency.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

But who WINS in one competition if skates clean?:)

bekalc

Record Breaker

I actually disagree on Gold having the best all around package. I find her by far the most boring of the three. Big jumps sure-but that's it. I'll vote for Adeilna having the best package-all the she's the least consistent.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
if they all skated clean Osmond or Elizaveta T. would win in the short program, but Sotnikova might pass one or both in the long. Gold would finish last amongst those three right now even skating cleanly IMO. Who is the most promising, too soon to tell. I dont think it is Sotnikova who is a headcase though.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually disagree on Gold having the best all around package. I find her by far the most boring of the three. Big jumps sure-but that's it.

I agree! IMO, out of the 4, Gracie is the one who has the least chance of being the all around package.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
A better question is will any of these come top 5 at Worlds? I dont think any of these skaters can medal at Worlds this year, but one might sneak into the top 5 but probably one or two of Kostner, Suzuki, Wagner, Asada would need some serious mistakes for that happen. I wont even mention Kim who can fall 3 times and probably still beat this entire group.

bekalc

Record Breaker
if they all skated clean Osmond or Elizaveta T. would win in the short program, but Sotnikova might pass one or both in the long. Gold would finish last amongst those three right now even skating cleanly IMO. Who is the most promising, too soon to tell. I dont think it is Sotnikova who is a headcase though.

How is Sotnikova a headcase???? Adelina is only 16, and she's managed to win quite a lot of competitions, far more competitions than the other girls. But with winning those competitions also came enormous expectations, and she's also been dealing with her changing body. Why can't people give her time to get use to this level of competition before they name Sotnikova a headcase. Neither Kim nor Asada won their first worlds.

The skater I saw today at Euros, handled pressure very well. And I think its a good sign she held it together after the flip too... . I seem to recall Plushenko and numerous skaters who became great, struggling a bit at the beginning of the Senior level....

gmyers

Record Breaker
If they were all perfect and clean I would say sotnikova. She has the potential and does a little of everything in even the competitions where she makes huge mistakes. If it was an actual competition where they all skated their normal ways I would say osmond.

bekalc

Record Breaker
If they were all perfect and clean I would say sotnikova. She has the potential and does a little of everything in even the competitions where she makes huge mistakes. If it was an actual competition where they all skated their normal ways I would say osmond.

I don't know i think Osmond has had her mistakes.. .She kind of got lucky at Skate Canada and the result was controversial. In terms of Canadian Nationals-whose her competition? Now, I think she's going to start to get more pressure on her like the young Russians have been experiencing...Sotnikova has won far more competitions than any of these other girls, and I think people forget that.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't know i think Osmond has had her mistakes.. .She kind of got lucky at Skate Canada and the result was controversial. In terms of Canadian Nationals-whose her competition? Now, I think she's going to start to get more pressure on her like the young Russians have been experiencing...

True osmond Has only done nebelhorn and skate Canada and if she does 4cc it will be the biggest stage so far. But whoever she has faced she has beaten. If she beats Mao at 4cc if she goes that would be something.

bekalc

Record Breaker
True osmond Has only done nebelhorn and skate Canada and if she does 4cc it will be the biggest stage so far. But whoever she has faced she has beaten. If she beats Mao at 4cc if she goes that would be something.

That's not true. Osmond was at Jr Worlds, and she didn't come close to winning Junior Worlds. She in fact didn't even medal, came 10th. Sotnikova and Gold beat her there.And there was far more competition there at Junior Worlds than she faced at the other places.

At the other two competitions you mentioned, she capitalized on other's mistakes. Plus, who says she'll beat Wagner??????? I think Osmound has talent.. But based on that small amount of competitions, I don't think its fair to say she's a better competitor than the others.

The best competitor of the youngsters is frankly Elizaveta. (Tukt was injured at Skate Canada if I recall) She's normally always good for 6-7 triples in the long and I don't think the same can be said for the rest.. Osmond I seem to recall has had her mistakes....

I don't think Mao will necessarily be difficult to beat, but I think that Wagner could be for her.

I'm frankly thrilled for Sotnikova at Euros. It seems to me like she's finally starting to get use to this level of competition/and the expectations...

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think Sotikova clearly wins if all are clean.

However, as others have said, of Osmond, Tuk, and Sot, Sot is least consistent sooo...

At this point I don't view Gracie as being a real factor.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Well I did forget osmond was at jr worlds!! But the fact that this season osmond took advantage of others making mistakes but even making mistakes herself is why i voted her. But it could be Liza she is in a much better place now than when osmond beat her.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
That's not true. Osmond was at Jr Worlds, and she didn't come close to winning Junior Worlds. She in fact didn't even medal, came 10th. Sotnikova and Gold beat her there.

Osmond did not fail under pressure there though. She simply wasnt that good a skater yet and wasnt a contender yet, not even amongst juniors. Keep in mind she skated well at NAtionals that year too and finished behind LaCoste and washed up Phaneuf so she just didnt have the PCS and quality needed yet, so her low finish at World Juniors is not a sign of crumbling to pressure. Sotnikova on the other hand was supposed to win that World Juniors and lost to both Liptniskaya and Gold, so she, not the not yet that competitive Osmond, is the one who crumbled under pressure.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I actually disagree on Gold having the best all around package. I find her by far the most boring of the three. Big jumps sure-but that's it. I'll vote for Adeilna having the best package-although she's the least consistent.

Gold has pretty wide appeal it would seem. I think she has good body line, good basics, and is really trying to listen to the music and perform. She also does more with transitions in comparison to the Russian girls. It's not there yet but if she puts it all together I could see her being the best. Her 3Lutz in the SP is potentially a clear advantage over Adelina, who's only doing 3Toe in comparison.