Would skating dance lessons be beneficial to singles skater? | Golden Skate

Would skating dance lessons be beneficial to singles skater?

G

Glacierskater

Would skating dance lessons be beneficial to singles skater?

I am thinking about taking some skating dance lessons from one of our dance coaches. From what I understand, singles skaters can do dances also (this from some dance couples at my rink) I thought that it might make my skating package more complete. If you call what I do a package.

I was wondering if anyone can verify that there are singles dances that can be practiced, and if anyone else has taken separate dance lessons aside from their regular coaching lessons, and how/if they found it useful.

Any input would be useful.

I

icenut84

Re: Would skating dance lessons be beneficial to singles ska

Yes, taking dance lessons would definitely be helpful. What level a singles skater are you? Have you ever done dance before? Well, a lot of people jump to the conclusion that dance is the "easy" option. However, dancing concentrates on a lot of aspects that can be beneficial to all skaters, including rhythm, flow over the ice, edges, knee bend, speed, footwork, balance, technique, and proper/ideal body positions etc. You don't have to dance with a partner if you don't want to, as you can practice solo dance, but your coach may dance with you as he/she teaches you the steps etc. The dances can be skated on your own, particularly the early ones. It's actually quite fun dancing with a coach, and can be a nice change to skating on your own all the time. It gives you a greater awareness of where each part of your body is at all times (e.g. you don't want to collide with your partner during the dance, or skate in the wrong place and cut them off), and greater discipline as far as getting each step in the right place (not quite so important in singles skating). It's definitely worth a try.

G

Glacierskater

Icenut,
Thanks for the reply. I do think that in some aspects, this will be harder because I think that it will be more about control. I am looking forward to another aspect of skating with this endeavor. Thank you for your input. It is valued.

J

Joesitz

Sure - dancing will give you lots of practice in basics by having you do proper 3 turns, brackets, rockers and counters as well as mohawk turns and choctaws. All this with giving you a chance to move over the ice and to music!!

A few lessons in school figures wouldn't hurt either but there is no music.

Joe

S

starshinexavier

As someone who has done both singles and dance, I'd definitely say that dance has helped my singles skating. I do a lot of turns that non-dancers do, and doing dance has increased the difficulty of the footwork in my programs. Moves/Skills also helps a lot, since they pay more attention to specific turns and edges, helping you develop strong footwork capabilities. And unlike singles, you have someone there with you to calm you down and make you more relaxed before you skate. I'd definitely recommend doing dance. It's a great experience, and you learn a lot about different edges and turns, and how to do them in unison with another person.

C

Cinderella On Ice

Dance definitely helps. I'm not currently learning any, but as a kid we were all strongly encouraged to take dance as well to develop strong edges and control. I agree with everything that everyone said here.

G

Glacierskater

Thanks for everyone's insights. I will be checking out the dance coach this week.

JOESITZ, funny that you should mention school figures. I have requested that my coach teach them to me. I have asked her to bring a scribe - once I found out what one was - and she said that she would. It is weird, but it seems like even some coaches resist the figures. I think that they will help me.

J

Joesitz

Glacier - If I remember correctly Figure 3 is the back outside circle 8. Pracising that will give you the feel for what a true lutz take off is.

Joe

F

Figureskates

My coach is trying to get me to enroll in some ice dancing. She feels it would improve my overall edge quality plus get more of a rhythm to my skating.

One thing I am looking forward to when we retire to Lake Placid is school figures, which are still taught up there.

M

megsk8z

I take dance lessons to supplement my freestyle stuff. I really like dancing, but it is a whole lot harder than most people want to give it credit for. I figured it would be good for me (and it has been....some of those dance exercises made me sore in places on my legs and hips I didn't think existed). It's kind of like lima beans........you may not like them, but they *are* good for you. Of course, this is coming from a person with only preliminary dance tests passed who also has no rhythm, no timing and doesn't know her left from her right. But I like it!
I would recommend dance lessons to anyone that does freestyle, providing they can shell out the extra bucks in what could be a tight monetary situation. It's a lot of fun.

G

Glacierskater

I am pleased to announce that I talked to the dance coach today, and I have been set up for lessons! I am very excited about this!