Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu

Hybrid View

Rinkside

I feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu

That was heart wrenching watching her reaction to the judges' marks at Nationals tonight. She seemed totally devastated.

Imagine all that hard work to get back on top in the sport, and finishing 3rd in the short, with the possibility of making it on the podium. No, her program certainly wasn't her best. Does anyone think she was, as they say, robbed? I have never felt so sorry for someone like this in a long time (and granted what she experienced was far from the worst thing in the world). I have never especially been a fan of hers but this raw human emotion really affected me.

I heard the boos of the crowd - they seemed to think she was given a raw deal. Were the judges' basically telling her to "move aside" for the new up-and-coming? The politics of this sport are brutal.

Custom Title
    I agree. I think she should've be on the podium. Judges were too harsh on Mirai. I don't think they trust her anymore, though.

Banned
    7th was definitely too much, I had Mirai at 4th overall with Christina beating her in a narrow margin

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    7th was definitely too much, I had Mirai at 4th overall with Christina beating her in a narrow margin
    This. Considering the generous scores handed to Ashley and Gracie I think the writing was on the wall for the others. Imo the World team was already pre-determined. The hype for Gracie by NBC even after her sub-par SP (which had her in 9th-anyone else would've been lower) made me suspicious that US Figure Skating and NBC had got together and decided who would be the 'Star' this time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    The hype for Gracie by NBC even after her sub-par SP (which had her in 9th-anyone else would've been lower) made me suspicious that US Figure Skating and NBC had got together and decided who would be the 'Star' this time.
    You are right. But Gold is really a good skater and she has a potential to be a star. Among the other girls only Ashley Cain has a star potential too, but she is -at the moment- not so good.

Nagasu and Zhang were stars too, but only as children.

Tripping on the Podium
    I do feel bad, I thought she should at least be 3rd.

I think Mirai is being told she is not going back to Worlds or Olys. Breaks given to skaters still happen, but skating isnow brutal and for most becoming a 4 year game. The US is cruelly done with Mirai and Zhang. Ashley has to show here 3x3 at worlds or her plug will be pulled. Her LP today shows she is not truly a solid champion-she was lucky Aggie and Mirai didn't have great skates.

Caroline Zhang was lowballed in both her events. Speed is the judges drug of choice these days. Caroline was shown the door. I really feel bad for her. Did she deserve her placement? Well, it was a pleasure to see Zhang skate so well. Mirai must feel it is time to quit. It seems Wagner and Gold can count on USFS. Agnes gets only what she earns. It seems Agnes cannot yet conquer her nerves. I think Mirai had her days in the sun.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by delray1977 View Post
    I do feel bad, I thought she should at least be 3rd.
    Nagasu is only 6 points behind Zawadzki. She was not robbed. The placement ist her drama, not her score.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyguy View Post

Nagasu is only 6 points behind Zawadzki. She was not robbed. The placement ist her drama, not her score.
    I would have reversed the places of Gao and Zawadzki. Agnes was gifted in the Short.

Custom Title
    They were telling her to stop UR her jumps. It just seemed especially cruel since she certainly wasn't the only one to UR. I would have to agree with the original poster... I have never felt so awful seeing someone in the kiss and cry.

Tripping on the Podium
    It did look like she had some ur's but not enough to drop her that far.

Judges have been totally harsh on judging both Mirai and Caroline on URs at Nationals. It's so heart-wrenching to see both of them so sad.

The audience knew what they loved though. Standing ovations for Mirai and Caroline either in the SP or the LP.

Custom Title
    11th in the FS is far from my expectations. Not even in the top 10!!?

This competition seems target certain skaters for federation interests. I don't think Mirai can survive in this sport without funding which I know she desperately really need. The question is what next? She won't even be at 4CCs? Or is this the end?

Custom Title
    Several of her jumps were clearly UR to my eye, especially the 3f she fell on and the 3lo. And as usual, she skated blank-faced, with no passion or enthusiasm. With 5 URs, the judges had no choice but to give her -GOEs, and her flat performance affected her PCS scores.

Mirai's been getting URs from both US and International judges for years. There is no doubt that she is a very talented skater, but that isn't enough. It's up to her to work hard on her shortcomings. If she doesn't, she won't make any progress and she won't be happy with her results.

Custom Title
    She looked perfectly fine in all the practices, and in the lead up to Nationals there were reports on how she was working very hard with her new coaches and how she was in much better shape to rotate her jumps. But I think having the flu really affected her today, she seemed sluggish.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast