Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu

skating philosopher
    I'm heartbroken for Mirai and I honestly thought she did enough to at least be on the podium, but I couldn't help but wonder if she would get dinged on those URs...I guess I didn't realized she would get dinged that much.

And honestly it's tough skating with the flu. I've been sick all weekend and I can't imaging doing a 4-minute program with jumps in my condition. Mirai was brave and did her best all things considered.

Medalist
    I was expecting a not-great score for Mirai, but it was worse than I expected, especially in terms of placement.

I think Wagner, Zawadzki, and Hicks received scores that were on the generous side. Others were not so fortunate. Oh well.

BTW, Gold earned her score. Nice job.

Banned
    Gao and Nagasu have never been favorites of the USFSA and U.S judges, and it continued again this year. Those two have to skate lights out at Nationals if they are getting anywhere.

Banned
    The one who was screwed tonight was Gao. She is the one I felt most sorry for, 5th yet again at Nationals.

Custom Title
    The UR's killed Zhang and Nagasu. But all is not lost. Gold and Wagner can win back 3 spots so thiswill open the door up for a battle for second and third next year. I see Wagner cementing herself as no. 1. Gold a solid no. 2 with great potential for development but no. 3 I am not sure. I was thinking Nagasu, Gao, Agnes or Czisny. At the same time there may be some suggestion it is time to go into the sunset for Zhang, Czisny and Nagasu.

Banned
    If there is a 3rd spot next year I think it would be between Hicks, Agnes, and Gao with Agnes getting it if she doesnt totally bomb, and Czisny and Nagasu having outside shots.

Custom Title
    I love Mirai but I can't say she was robbed tonight. She placed behind a bunch of skaters (aside from Ashley and Agnes) who all performed the skates of their lives. Mirai really has an issue with UR'ing when she's tired late in her program that, if she can fix, will improve her placement a lot. One change I'd like to see is for judges to not know if a jump is underrotated before they score it because these skaters get the downgrade PLUS the -GOE when it can look like a good jump to the naked eye, whereas an actual double jump can score better with 0 GOE.

Custom Title
    Her URs were quite obvious to the naked eyes. I think she might get one or two more points in the SP, but I thought she was scored generously in the LP. Her PCS clearly shouldn't clear 60.
    Not that Gold should clear 60, either. Gold should be in the 55-57 range. Cesario should get at least 57-59 for hers. Mirai was half-dead out there, looking like she's about to puke mid way, her PCS should be even lower than Gold who actually performed her crappy program.
    As for Gashley, her PCS should be at most 60.

Gao is robbed. She should have been third.

Somebody should put a stop to this Agnes mess. This girl is unreliable. She can't skate a clean program. She won't crack 110 internationally. They should show her the door like they did to Caroline and Mirai.

Custom Title
    I think having an "all-american" podium helps USFSA promoting the sport? Otherwise I don't see why Agnes Zawadzki consistently gets gifts. First Mirai's GP spot, now this. I don't think Nagasu is in the best shape as a Sochi contender, but C. Gao is a better shot than Agnes. She made GPF. What has Agnes ever achieved on the senior level?

Quote Originally Posted by psbfan01 View Post
    that was heart wrenching watching her reaction to the judges' marks at nationals tonight. She seemed totally devastated.

Imagine all that hard work to get back on top in the sport, and finishing 3rd in the short, with the possibility of making it on the podium. No, her program certainly wasn't her best. I have never felt so sorry for someone like this in a long time (and granted what she experienced was far from the worst thing in the world). This raw human emotion really affected me.

I heard the boos of the crowd - they seemed to think she was given a raw deal. Were the judges' basically telling her to "move aside" for the new up-and-coming? The politics of this sport are brutal.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonichelle View Post
    imo, it should be nbc who wouldn't get out of her face with the camera
    ITA. Feeling crushed for her & Caroline!

Custom Title
    Skating last was not going to be a good thing for Mirai no matter how things panned out Her nerves get the best of her. And when Gold dropped that huge score earlier in the night it made not only Mirai but i think it made almost everyone in the top 5 a bit more nervous because they all needed a season's best to beat her..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    ITA. Feeling crushed for her & Caroline!
    Poor Mirai. And having to skate while so sick. Could the camera not have devoured her for that awful moment in the kiss and cry?

I thought Caroline and Christina were wonderful. But I think that for next year, if Christina is really serious about getting further ahead, she'll need to cut down on her classwork or take the semester off. In a way, her fulltime student chores plus her skating are like Kristi Yamaguchi skating both pairs and singles. Kristi excelled in both but had reached as high as she could in both disciplines. She had to choose one or the other. In an Olympic year, it seems as if Christina should choose skating, because that chance will not come again. She's a wonderful skater.

Custom Title
    I was stunned at the unexpected severity of it. Before Sochi, there really needs to be an independent investigation of what is going on in figure skating.
    The federations think nothing of chewing up and spitting out these young women when they are no longer useful. Why anyone, or their parents, would, for one moment, think of subjecting themselves to the capriciousness of this sport is beyond me. Even though Ashley won the gold, "gifted imo", she , in essence has already been dethroned or, at a minimum, her gold is tarnished. She best not rest on her laurels, for she has a hard road ahead of her unless she ups the ante soon and unless the USA manages to get three spots for the Olympics.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    If there is a 3rd spot next year I think it would be between Hicks, Agnes, and Gao with Agnes getting it if she doesnt totally bomb, and Czisny and Nagasu having outside shots.
    Well, if it is to be between those 3, then I really hope Christina earns it and receives the nod of approval. Hicks to me is the very definition of a cray cray bull in a china shop with her hunched back, terrible posture, novice choreography and skating skills, and complete lack of sophistication. Senior international judges would rightfully terminate Courtney on the PCS score. I'm of the opinion too that Zawadzki is receiving too many breaks from the USFSA and she doesn't capitalize on any of them. She cannot be depended on to skate a clean program at all. Gao has not been as fortunate in receiving those breaks and, to me, that isn't fair one bit. Christina has just started to endear me to her skating this season because I do sense that she has now matured into a woman skater out there. I hope she doesn't give up on her Olympic dream and gives it all she's got!

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I thought Caroline gave it a whole lot more than Mirai. Mirai wasn't in the zone, but she wasn't in the program either. I wasn't sold at all. She had other skaters who were clean that were ahead of her - for the most part.

Neither Caroline or Mirai have given the judges a reason to give them the benefit of the doubt. (Not saying Agnes has)

I'm just not seeing the wuzrobbed on that one. If we're to be mad at anyone, IMO, it should be NBC who wouldn't get out of her face with the camera.
    I totally agree with your entire post.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast