Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 218

Thread: I feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu

  1. #136
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    I do not feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu AT ALL.

    She has had a long career in skating. She has traveled, had sponsors, competed, won titles and accolades and even went to the Olympics where she skated the best of her life. She also has the benefits of always living as a competitive athlete.

    Her life has been, on the surface, full of wonderful experiences. Just because it may be winding down is not a reason to feel sorry for her.

    She has not lived up to her potential. And she can't do it no matter how hard she tries. We don't know if she has a long career ahead of her since the depth of US ladies is improving. She may have harder time making US team in the future.

  2. #137
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    I do not feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu AT ALL.

    She has had a long career in skating. She has traveled, had sponsors, competed, won titles and accolades and even went to the Olympics where she skated the best of her life. She also has the benefits of always living as a competitive athlete.

    Her life has been, on the surface, full of wonderful experiences. Just because it may be winding down is not a reason to feel sorry for her.
    I think you do not really get why those of us who feel bad for Mirai feel bad for her. It's not because she's accomplished nothing with her skating/her life. If that were the case none of us would knwo who she was to feel sorry for her. Similarly, I don't think any of us are really like 'poor Mirai she has truly known struggle'.

    Rather, we feel bad for her for one or a combination of the following reasons (and I'm even leaving out the 'she hasn't lived up to her potential reason' as, like you say and I acknowledge, she has accomplished a lot in her career and it is a bit silly to feel bad even if she doesn't accomplish more):

    -She quite obviously trained hard this season and has made huge improvements from last season. This didn't help her at all at Nationals. Those of us who think on some level that hard work should be rewarded feel a bit bad about this.
    -One reason she didn't preform as well as she could at Nationals may well have been the flu. Some of us feel sorry for her that she couldn't compete while healthy.
    -She was clearly upset with her scores and herself. Some of us felt natural empathy at her reaction alone, because it is hard to see another human being be sad. Now of course, it isn't like her mother had just died or she has been starving in Kenya, but her level of upset was something I think a lot of us can relate to.
    -Some people feel bad at how they perceive her to have been treated by USFSA.

  3. #138
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    People are making a mountain out of perception. Ashley was thinking more about her own skate not what mirai was doing.

    As someone who is always judged by their facial expressions ( and those that judge are constantly wrong ) I feel for Ashley. She's getting nitpicked to death for no real reason.
    I do too.

  4. #139
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,517
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    She quite obviously trained hard this season and has made huge improvements from last season. This didn't help her at all at Nationals. Those of us who think on some level that hard work should be rewarded feel a bit bad about this.
    I think this has to be a bit disheartening for Mirai. As a fan, it's not clear to me what the right path forward is for her. When I look at her programs from 2010 her skating, and particularly her jumps, had a certain spark that I find lacking now. I don't know if it can be recaptured, especially if this is due to changes in her body.

  5. #140
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,630
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I think this has to be a bit disheartening for Mirai. As a fan, it's not clear to me what the right path forward is for her. When I look at her programs from 2010 her skating, and particularly her jumps, had a certain spark that I find lacking now. I don't know if it can be recaptured, especially if this is due to changes in her body.
    Yeah this sums up my feelings, as a fan.

    Well, I'm with her no matter what she decides to do and certainly if she decides to keep at it. In the last few years only two USA lady skaters have really given me performances I love to revisit and she is one of them. Maybe she hasn't won a world medal but she has contributed greatly to my enjoyment of figure skating in the post-Michelle/Sasha era. Many figure skating fans surely feel the same way so that's quite an accomplishment already even if it might take her a long time to see it that way.

  6. #141
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Yeah this sums up my feelings, as a fan.

    Well, I'm with her no matter what she decides to do and certainly if she decides to keep at it. In the last few years only two USA lady skaters have really given me performances I love to revisit and she is one of them. Maybe she hasn't won a world medal but she has contributed greatly to my enjoyment of figure skating in the post-Michelle/Sasha era. Many figure skating fans surely feel the same way so that's quite an accomplishment already even if it might take her a long time to see it that way.
    THIS 100%. Thank you for saying it better than I could. Indeed, post Sasha-Michelle she is the ONLY USA female skater who has performances on the senior level that I regularly watch again.

  7. #142
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12
    Well said Layfan. I couldn't agree with you more.

    I think whatever Mirai chooses to do, she should know that she has a large (quite possibly the largest out of the current crop of US ladies) fanbase who admire her performances and continue to root for her. I for one hopes she will continue, even though it's going to take a lot of hard work from her again.

    Maybe she can pull an Alissa Czisny in 2011 and come back next year with gorgeous programs and blow everyone away. It also seems the international judges give out higher PCS to "older" competitors, so this should work in her favor as she's competed internationally for many years now. With her natural grace, I'm sure she'll continue to gain reputation for putting out beautiful performances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Yeah this sums up my feelings, as a fan.

    Well, I'm with her no matter what she decides to do and certainly if she decides to keep at it. In the last few years only two USA lady skaters have really given me performances I love to revisit and she is one of them. Maybe she hasn't won a world medal but she has contributed greatly to my enjoyment of figure skating in the post-Michelle/Sasha era. Many figure skating fans surely feel the same way so that's quite an accomplishment already even if it might take her a long time to see it that way.

  8. #143
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    23
    Like others have said, the main reason I felt sorry for Mirai was because of her reaction after her skate and receiving her scores, how she was so disappointed and upset that she was unable to contain her emotions. (I hope she's feeling better about it now!) Plus, I was probably extra sympathetic because I was rooting for her to make the world team in the first place, I was happy that she had made improvements this year and did pretty well on the Grand Prix, and recently I'd watched how hard she worked and trained with her new coaches during that 20 min. mini-documentary.

    After Mirai's long program, I knew it wasn't perfect and that she wouldn't be on the world team, but I guess I was expecting something more in the 3-5 range, so 7 seemed harsh to me. But after seeing many posters here say that they could see the many URs in real time, that they weren't borderline and therefore not ignorable, etc., I can accept that her placement was at least not outrageous and that it was probably correct. One explanation for her placement being low that seems strange to me, though, is that she was "lifeless," her interpretation was poor, things along those lines. This mostly just seems strange to me because I didn't think Ashley and the other top U.S. ladies skated with signicant more "life" or superior interpretation here. I don't think Ashley is the very best in the world when it comes to artistry/presentation/interpretation categories in the first place, but when she's at her best, the confidence, fire, and polish with which she performs her choreography is what makes her stand out compared to many skaters. She was not at her best at Nationals, the same fire and confidence was not there, she was more slow, cautious, and visibly nervous (therefore making the audience nervous for her, taking us out of the program), and the falls marred her program -- same with Agnes's. Gracie's long program had more of an impact because it was clean and an amazing technical display and accomplishment, but she did not seem invested in selling the choreography or show much expression until after she completed the jumps, and the choreography itself is forgettable and juniorish. But all three were still rewarded despite not being as clean or artistically satisfying and inspiring as the earlier skaters (Cesario was probably my favorite performance-wise), so I guess I expected similar treatment for Mirai, being the highest ranked U.S. lady in Vancouver, being a former National champion, having a pretty good season with visible improvement, and having her own great skating and presentation qualities such as in her spirals (though not held very long) and spins (normally I'm tired of the ever-present layback > haircutter/side layback > Biellmann, but I love the one at the end of her long program! It was also the only spin that my dad who doesn't watch skating specifically pointed out that he liked). I'm not saying she deserved to be placed ahead of Ashley or Gracie anything like that, just explaining why my first impression after seeing her placement at 7th was that she was given harsher treatment than the other top U.S. ladies. And if picking what the USFSA perceives to be the right skaters for the world team is at all on judges' minds when scoring programs at Nationals, I wish the system for choosing the world team could be changed and based on factors other than Nationals like other countries.

  9. #144
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,154
    Mirai still got scores similar to Zawadski and Gold from a PCS standpoint (60+ for Nagasu, 60+ for Zawadski, and 61+ for Gold who really got a boost for SS due to the speed and attack she skated with and PE for the execution of crazy-hard tech content since it's a presentation and EXECUTION mark and she certainly did the latter) whereas Nagasu got a 49 for tech due to 4 UR and 1 DG and a lack of GOE in general due to the UR and DGs (these are automatically negative) that got counteracted (somewhat) by higher GOEs on spins and steps.

  10. #145
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,517
    Between Gold and Mirai, a 1 point difference is probably fair given Mirai's PCS would likely be much higher if she skated clean. I still have no idea how Agnes gets those kind of marks though. I suppose all the right pieces are there but something about her skating seems to lack refinement IMO and does not warrant the type of PCS she gets.

  11. #146
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    I still think it stinks that Mirai had to skate with the flu. How well would she have done if she was healthy?

  12. #147
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12
    Who knows. I hope Mirai isn't brooding over that question too much either. She can show us what she can do the next time she skates
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    I still think it stinks that Mirai had to skate with the flu. How well would she have done if she was healthy?

  13. #148
    ♥ My Mirai's Golden Pond ♥ Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    I don't know where you're getting that... Agnes threw her comp away as usual. She would have been first above favorite Ashley in the SP had she not blown her double axel. She certainly had a chance. A great chance.
    I disagree. The way Gracie was held up in the SP after a fall and popping a jump and then again the huge PCS scores she received-I think the best Agnes could hope for was third. The World team was pre-determined imo. It was always going to be Ashley and Gracie. Now I just hope they bring back 3 Olympic spots for the U.S. and if not at least that they both skate lights out. And Agnes imo should have placed above Ashley in the FS what with Wagner's two falls which was jarring and affected the overall quality of her skate. Still, I suppose if one goes by the GP season Ashley deserve to be on the team. Gracie however did no better nor worse overall than the other top two, Agnes and Mirai. Imo Christina Gao was the one who was really robbed. Her two performances were better overall than everyone else over two nights. Mirai falted in the FS and I probably would have had her in 5th, certainly not 7th.


    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Looking at the SP protocals, what about Gracie's score didn't you like? The TES reflect what she did and her PCS was 4 points behind Agnes
    Her PCS scores should have been even further back than 4 points. She still skates like a junior between the jumps. Her blank expression in the LP was as she ticked off her jumps was no better. She was held up. Mind you-I still think she should have won the LP but not by so much.

    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Mirai had the misfortune to be skating sick. It happens - Caryn Kadavy had to withdraw from the Olympics after skating the short program because she got the flu and was too feverish to skate her free program. As one who has felt ill recently, I can't imagine what it takes to skate and spin while feeling nauseous.

    Would she have skated better if she had been feeling well? can't really say. I'd like to think she would've.

    Anyway, I won't count her out until she retires. Mirai has the ability and the energy. Hopefully, her new coaching situation will help her find the self discipline to train and the competitive spark again.
    Well put. It ain't over til it's over and Mirai still has a lot of skating in her imo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    Marai knew she blew it when she came off of the ice. Her LP was listless and looked like she was just going threw the motions. I don't get all the sympathy. She has had more chances going to the Olympics and Worlds than any one skating tonight. She will never recapture the magic she had at 14 so I think she needs to move on. If Frank Caroll could do nothing with her. no one can. In my opinion the judges got it right. Ashley got a gift but even with her falls her program was far superior to Marai's.
    How do you know this for certain? You don't know what Mirai will or won't be able to do with her skating as time goes by. And why should a 19 year old in the bloom of youth 'move on' as you say? She can still improve a ton in the years to come as Ashley and Kostner and others have. While there is health, talent and desire anything is possible. And I believe Mirai has all three in spades. This season she did much better than she's done in years. Her hard work going into the GP showed and she was getting better and better with each competition. Then the flu happened a week before Nationals. I don't suppose many of us could have done better. She rocked the SP and basically survived the LP. All my respect to Mirai.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    I could not agree more. Marai is the one who is responsible for her poor skate. no one eles. And if she was really as sick as some claim than she should have withdrawn.
    It's Mirai actually not Marai, but anyway if Mirai had withdrawn likely you would have criticized her for that as well. I think she was a trooper to try and skate. She did well in the practices and probably felt she could get through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Mirai is only 19!!!!. So one more Olympic cycle after this one is certainly possible if she wants to continue.
    ^^^
    THIS! Hopefully her heart and mind are willing and she'll stay in good health.
    Quote Originally Posted by yunasashafan View Post
    I agree. Actually, I thought she was smiling (who wouldn't, she had just won) until she caught Mirai's picture on the side screen. Then the smile disappeared and she appeared sympathetic to Mirai's pain. I thought she was very classy.
    This is exactly how I saw Ashley's reaction. Much ado about nothing.

    Mirai worked hard this year and her coaches DID try to address her URs and attempted to boost her PCS scores with better transitions:
    Road to Omaha: Nagasu happy to be under radar


    "We have brought in Jamie Isley to touch up her short program (Benny Goodman's "Downhill Special") and Cindy Stuart to work with her on her long ("Symphony No. 3 in C minor" by Camille Saint-Saëns)," Olson said.

    Both programs were choreographed this summer by Susan Austin.

    "The goal is to add more transitions and more body movement in the [step sequence] in the short, to gain another level," Olson continued. "Jamie's style is great with jazz

    Olson and Evidente have also attacked Nagasu's jumps, with Evidente's off-ice training regimen adding zip to the skater's form.

    "Mirai is in great shape now, much better than last year," Olson said. "The main thing is she is fit, and it is easier for her to rotate the jumps. She has to keep her jumps clean while also showing excellent skating skills."


    And the AT&T mini-documentary on Mirai gives some idea of the hard work she's put in this past year before Nationals. I hope she keeps it going into next year and beyond.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 02-01-2013 at 01:27 AM.

  14. #149
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,988
    I wonder if Mirai will be back next season. I got the feeling after seeing her break down after seeing her scores that it was if she had been given an ultimatum (by her parents?) that she would make the team or else just move on and go to school next September.

  15. #150
    ♥ My Mirai's Golden Pond ♥ Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I wonder if Mirai will be back next season. I got the feeling after seeing her break down after seeing her scores that it was if she had been given an ultimatum (by her parents?) that she would make the team or else just move on and go to school next September.
    I think you're reading too much into Mirai's reaction. I think it was frustration. She was naturally upset but I think she'll get over it soon just as she has her (many) other disappointments. That's one thing about Mirai. She keeps trying and hopefully she'll go on.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •