I was thinking about this very thing. So I did some research since I have COPD and dont want the flu.....half of the population gets the shot, which is a very good match to the current strain of flu going around. The medical definition for "62 percent effective" seems to mean that if you are exposed to the strain, and have had the shot, you have a 62 percent chance of not having any flu symptoms(best case) to not needing to go see a doc for your symptoms (worse case). Of course, that means that you have a 38 percent chance of needing to see a doc. But these figures are skewed as the flu shot works much better on the young than us old folk. If you are young and get the shot, and you feel a bit out of sorts and a bit flushed the next day, this is a good thing as it means your body's immune system is jumping all over that dead virus. If you dont feel anything, like I didnt, it means you already have immunity or it didnt work. I would be interested to know how many skaters do not get the flu shot....
I do find this part of the thread interesting and not just because I financially support some skaters. I love Ashley but dont donate to her, not because I dont want her to win, but she wears a warmup suit with NIKE all over it in big letters and as a top US skater probably has other endorsements and financial help. I dont donate to Yu-Na Kim as she has 27 million dollars. I do donate to skaters I like who are very honest about their costs of skating on their websites and who I admire as people.
So here is MY question. IF money is the issue, Does Mirai have 1,000 fans that would be willing to donate $25 (tax deductible) to see her stay around? I know she is popular in other countries so I am not just talking the US.
25 grand isnt 80 grand but it might make the difference.
You do feel for them terribly....in JA's case, I have a bad back too and I know what a competitor he is to go out there...and who knows if his doc said he could cripple himself way further like Plushy did? And of course I love Mirai...I keep thinking of that twitter pic she posted of her sleeping like a baby with her dog right before she left for nats....breaks my heart. But then something happens like the guy who I wont name behind me who went into seizure right after the ladies free but before the medals...thankfully he is ok after two days in the hospital and back to work but it makes you think about Ashley's statement on the Jumbotron.... "Its just a skate" I dont think Mirai over reacted. The fates are cruel. But my hope is that with historical perspective, she will put this in its proper place and who amoung us can say that in the future, this was a good thing or a bad thing? I just wish her happiness. Not to be macabre about life but I have a skating event friend named Howard. He skated against a certain hall of fame coach named Frank C. Actually roomed with him at a skating camp one year. He took from MVO. Howard and I were sitting together one event and watching the jumbotron about the the terrible air disaster that killed the US team. I turned to Howard and said, "Howard, if you had been a better skater, you might have been on that plane." And he said to me, "And dont think I dont ponder that every time I watch that video." Be happy, Mirai Nagasu. You are loved.
I have mixed feelings about this thread. It feels a little intrusive to be discussing the state of the Nagasu family finances. I'm sure the Nagasus are neither the poorest nor richest family in figure skating--I almost feel like it might embarrass Mirai if she knew people were talking so much about her family's income.
On the other hand, I'm sure many would argue that financing a skating career in North America is one of the most underdiscussed and least known aspects of the sport. The fact is, finances do matter. Just think of Rudy Galindo, for example. Rudy was open about how he came from a family without much money, and as a result, it was not easy to keep his skating going. It was a struggle at times, and I think he also stated part of his reason for turning pro after 1996 Worlds was to capitalize as much as he could on his success at that time. In the end, his tremendous talent could not be denied, but how many more U.S. titles and World medals might he have won if he'd had steady financial support for his training?
I don't think any of us fans are privy to know, or assume, anything about any skater's family finances.
ETA that if anyone would like to send a message of support to Nagasu, here's the link to her Contact page of her official site: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/m...su/contact.htm
Last edited by Sylvia; 02-02-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Mrs P is right. That Alaska airlines capt that fainted had what is believed to be norovirus, which dehydrates you to the point of fainting...that is probably what Ashley had....anyone can get anything at anytime, but one can take precautions.
Here are some pics of Mirai working in her family restaurant one week before nats, taking a nap before nats, and a pic of her after nats.
Chris who watches airline flight attendants stick their fingers inside the cup they give the apple juice to you in. No thanks. I have had norovirus...
Just for those who don't know, Mirai lives in Arcadia, which is quite a nice town, so while her family may not be rich, I doubt that finances are a huge issue, objectively speaking. http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/arcadia/ this site has information on Arcadia, and classifies it on a basis of per-capita income as upper-middle class for California and wealthy for the US as a whole. Mirai is no longer in high school, and didn't even attend public high school for her last two years, so if finances were a huge issue, I think it's likely the family would have moved to a more affordable neighborhood by now (a major draw of Arcadia and part of what makes it pricey are the great public schools there)
Of course, elite skating expenses for someone at Mirai's level I'm guessing is about $80,000-$100,000 a year, so even after funding, that's at least equivalent to a full-time private college tuition expense, which is difficult for most families to afford even if they are from well-off areas. My college has a notorious reputation for being full of "rich kids" and yet 70% of the student body qualifies for need-based financial aid, meaning their parents income is deemed to be not high enough to pay the $50,000 or so tuition fees each year. And there are lots of these kids on need based aid who drive BMWs, wear designer clothes, and have I-phones and other expensive things. The issue is not that Mirai's family is poor, it's that elite figure skating is REALLY, REALLY expensive, especially when you don't have a sponsorship or many donations and aren't receiving the top level of funding from the Federation.
But mods, do you think this discussion of skating costs is worth its own thread? I know it started with Mirai, but I think we would gain by having a general discussion.
I think back in 1969, my tuition at the University of Ill. was under $1,000 a year. I got my pilots license for $500. Just goes to show the power of inflation.
Here is a question. Some skaters sign up with the New England Amateur Skating Association (NEASF). You go to the skater's website, click "donate", it links you to
the New England Amateur Skating Association (NEASF), you download a form and fill it out and send in a check for your favorite skater. The money is fully tax deductible
and it goes directly to the expenses incurred...for instance, if you are a dance pair...
***Any contribution is much appreciated and tax-deductible under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code***
Practice ice time / week:
Off-ice conditioning / week:
Off-ice dance / week:
Skate boots per season:
Skate blades per season:
Sharpenings / month:
Non-Team USA competition expenses (x2-3 annually):
Information about the New England Amateur Skating Foundation (NEASF):
•The NEASF is a tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
•The mission of the NEASF is to help competitive skaters defray some of their expenses.
•The Foundation offers the opportunity of sponsorship to anyone who would like to provide assistance.
•Donations can be received from both individuals and corporations.
•The donations are used to defray only skating-related expenses.
•Invoices are submitted by the skater and payment is made directly to the vendor or provider of services.
Soooo...why dont all skaters take part in this program?
I hope Mirai can pick herself up and continue in one direction or the other. Either way, she has a lot to look forward to. One thing I especially like to think about with Kurt Browning is that he never won an Olympic medal of any color in three tries. It was so hard for him at first; remember how he apologized to Canada on TV? Yet he has had an unparalleled career, both Olympic-eligible and professional, that dwarfs the careers of many an Olympic gold medalist. At first even I, just a devoted spectator, was devastated for him--imagine how he felt. But somehow he picked himself up and shook it off. This career arc should give hope and inspiration to everyone in skating. More is possible. And conversely, Michelle's career arc gives hope that a skater can find a rewarding path outside of skating. Whichever route Mirai takes, I hope she can look forward with renewed enjoyment and optimism.