I feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu | Page 9 | Golden Skate

I feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu

tulosai

Record Breaker
My worry is that it is a financial issue. It is clear that the family is not wealthy. Making the team would have resulted in much more funding from USFSA than 7th place will.

While it is quite obvious that Mirai's family is not wealthy relative to other elite figure skating families in the USA, am I the only one who thinks their level of poverty is kind of exaggerated? It appears her parents are running a successful restaurant; she has her own computer and smart phone. I know and work with some legitimately poor families and the Nagasu's do not, in my mind, really qualify.

I am not meaning to trivialize how expensive skating is or that they will need to make sacrifices; I'm just saying for me this card is a tad overplayed/exaggerated when it comes to her IMO. In addition, won't she get the same funding as last year anyway?

Quite finally, she could get a part time job to bring in some extra money if she does continue. I understand skating is a full time endeavor at her level but Ashley Wagner has recently talked of all her part time jobs... in all actuality, I think Ashley's parents are about as wealthy (or not) as Mirai's now that I think of it, and somehow that never gets mentioned.

louisa05

Final Flight
While it is quite obvious that Mirai's family is not wealthy relative to other elite figure skating families in the USA, am I the only one who thinks their level of poverty is kind of exaggerated? It appears her parents are running a successful restaurant; she has her own computer and smart phone. I know and work with some legitimately poor families and the Nagasu's do not, in my mind, really qualify.

I am not meaning to trivialize how expensive skating is or that they will need to make sacrifices; I'm just saying for me this card is a tad overplayed/exaggerated when it comes to her IMO. In addition, won't she get the same funding as last year anyway?

Quite finally, she could get a part time job to bring in some extra money if she does continue. I understand skating is a full time endeavor at her level but Ashley Wagner has recently talked of all her part time jobs... in all actuality, I think Ashley's parents are about as wealthy (or not) as Mirai's now that I think of it, and somehow that never gets mentioned.

A computer and a smartphone are not exactly measures of wealth anymore. And skating at the elite level costs more money than the average American family makes in a year. I have never seen any claim that the family is impoverished, rather that they are typical middle to lower middle class. An article in the local news during Nats estimated the average costs of elite level skating around $50,000--$80,000 a year. Median annual income in L.A. for 2011 was $56,653. So even if they have an average income for their area...I've seen online reviews of their restaurant. While it seems to be reasonably successful, it is also very small and likely not bringing in enough to cover overhead, support the family and pay for skating all at once. Because that adds up to a lot of money, particularly in L.A. As for Mirai working, it has still been reported that she works for her parents. I would guess that she is not paid or paid less than they would have to pay if they hired someone which may save them more than she could make working elsewhere (you have to factor in benefits, payroll taxes, etc...).

As for Ashley, living in an area with a ton of military and retired military families, I can tell you that it is likely that her dad is receiving his military pension and has a full time job. The result is a very secure income.

tulosai

Record Breaker
A computer and a smartphone are not exactly measures of wealth anymore. And skating at the elite level costs more money than the average American family makes in a year. I have never seen any claim that the family is impoverished, rather that they are typical middle to lower middle class. An article in the local news during Nats estimated the average costs of elite level skating around $50,000--$80,000 a year. Median annual income in L.A. for 2011 was $56,653. So even if they have an average income for their area...I've seen online reviews of their restaurant. While it seems to be reasonably successful, it is also very small and likely not bringing in enough to cover overhead, support the family and pay for skating all at once. Because that adds up to a lot of money, particularly in L.A. As for Mirai working, it has still been reported that she works for her parents. I would guess that she is not paid or paid less than they would have to pay if they hired someone which may save them more than she could make working elsewhere (you have to factor in benefits, payroll taxes, etc...).

As for Ashley, living in an area with a ton of military and retired military families, I can tell you that it is likely that her dad is receiving his military pension and has a full time job. The result is a very secure income.

I disagree that a computer and smartphone are not measures of wealth at least to some degree. I worked at DC public schools for two years very recently (2010-2012 school years). Well over half the kids in my high school classes did not have computers at home at all, much less their own. Smartphones were slightly more common (IMO bizarrely) but I'd still say no more than half had them. It was a huge problem with college applications for those who wanted to apply because they didn't have access to a computer and had to go to th epublic library to do so. Now I grant you, this was a poor school in the poorest area of DC, but all the same, people who think everyone has internet at home, even in America, are very sorely mistaken.

louisa05

Final Flight
I disagree that a computer and smartphone are not measures of wealth at least to some degree. I worked at DC public schools for two years very recently (2010-2012 school years). Well over half the kids in my high school classes did not have computers at home at all, much less their own. Smartphones were slightly more common (IMO bizarrely) but I'd still say no more than half had them. It was a huge problem with college applications for those who wanted to apply because they didn't have access to a computer and had to go to th epublic library to do so. Now I grant you, this was a poor school in the poorest area of DC, but all the same, people who think everyone has internet at home, even in America, are very sorely mistaken.

Uh...and my point was that the Nagasu family is likely in the middle class category economically not impoverished. Having a computer and smartphone does not mean a family is wealthy. The middle and lower middle class, however, routinely owns such things today. I did, in fact, in the post very clearly say that the Nagasu family is clearly NOT in deep poverty. You are talking about people who are. Apples and oranges, my friend. My point is that a family earning the median income in L.A. (which is a middle class income) would still be hard pressed to afford the astronomical expenses of elite figure skating. Sadly, this is not a sport for the masses because of the costs. Mirai's family can be in a position to really need her to get the most possible funding from USFSA without living in poverty.

I also made absolutely no assumption that every home in America has internet access. I am not ignorant. I taught high school for 16 years and certainly am aware of the challenges many families face. I also know people who live in rural areas where reliable cell phone service and broadband internet are still unavailable. Honestly, we don't even know that Mirai has full internet access at home. She may be like my relatives who use 3G or 4G smartphone access at home and access through wi-fi with laptops or tablets where free internet is available. But that is neither here nor there when we are talking about a sport that costs more per year than most Americans make.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Very true, but sadly that is not the preferred way anymore in this country.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
My worry is that it is a financial issue. It is clear that the family is not wealthy. Making the team would have resulted in much more funding from USFSA than 7th place will.

right. it may be that her parents just can't continue funding Mirai unless she delivers--that's why I read into this that she is getting pressure to find a job/go to college.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I was thinking about this very thing. So I did some research since I have COPD and dont want the flu.....half of the population gets the shot, which is a very good match to the current strain of flu going around. The medical definition for "62 percent effective" seems to mean that if you are exposed to the strain, and have had the shot, you have a 62 percent chance of not having any flu symptoms(best case) to not needing to go see a doc for your symptoms (worse case). Of course, that means that you have a 38 percent chance of needing to see a doc. But these figures are skewed as the flu shot works much better on the young than us old folk. If you are young and get the shot, and you feel a bit out of sorts and a bit flushed the next day, this is a good thing as it means your body's immune system is jumping all over that dead virus. If you dont feel anything, like I didnt, it means you already have immunity or it didnt work. I would be interested to know how many skaters do not get the flu shot....
Yeah, flu shots do not make you 100 percent immune. At best it gives you about 70 percent, which is better than nothing but certainty not fool-proof. And a flu shot won't make you 100 percent immune to other sickness. I got a flu shot and still got knocked down with a bad cold for the last week. I know that perhaps the flu shot provided more immunity that enabled me to recover quicker, but still nothing's 100 percent.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I do find this part of the thread interesting and not just because I financially support some skaters. I love Ashley but dont donate to her, not because I dont want her to win, but she wears a warmup suit with NIKE all over it in big letters and as a top US skater probably has other endorsements and financial help. I dont donate to Yu-Na Kim as she has 27 million dollars. I do donate to skaters I like who are very honest about their costs of skating on their websites and who I admire as people.

So here is MY question. IF money is the issue, Does Mirai have 1,000 fans that would be willing to donate $25 (tax deductible) to see her stay around? I know she is popular in other countries so I am not just talking the US.
25 grand isnt 80 grand but it might make the difference.
Very true, but sadly that is not the preferred way anymore in this country.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
You do feel for them terribly....in JA's case, I have a bad back too and I know what a competitor he is to go out there...and who knows if his doc said he could cripple himself way further like Plushy did? And of course I love Mirai...I keep thinking of that twitter pic she posted of her sleeping like a baby with her dog right before she left for nats....breaks my heart. But then something happens like the guy who I wont name behind me who went into seizure right after the ladies free but before the medals...thankfully he is ok after two days in the hospital and back to work but it makes you think about Ashley's statement on the Jumbotron.... "Its just a skate" I dont think Mirai over reacted. The fates are cruel. But my hope is that with historical perspective, she will put this in its proper place and who amoung us can say that in the future, this was a good thing or a bad thing? I just wish her happiness. Not to be macabre about life but I have a skating event friend named Howard. He skated against a certain hall of fame coach named Frank C. Actually roomed with him at a skating camp one year. He took from MVO. Howard and I were sitting together one event and watching the jumbotron about the the terrible air disaster that killed the US team. I turned to Howard and said, "Howard, if you had been a better skater, you might have been on that plane." And he said to me, "And dont think I dont ponder that every time I watch that video." Be happy, Mirai Nagasu. You are loved.

I was thinking of you so close to the kiss and cry and wondering how difficult it was for you during Mirai's moment there. She didn't try to hold in her feelings but was totally upfront about being devastated. Were you there during the men's programs too? Jeremy looked to be pretty close to Mirai's reaction. These are the moments when it must be exceedingly difficult to be right there in the arena as kids crash and burn. It's tough enough watching on TV.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

Not only is it likely, it is also a fact. With very secure healthcare benefits also, at least as much as anybody in the USA can have. I have no doubt that Ashley has much more significant family financial resources to draw on than does Mirai.

Icey

Record Breaker
I don't really see how this matters. That said, most of the people sick with the flu this year are sick with a variation the flu shot didn't protect against- basically doctors 'guess' in early spring which 3 strains of the virus to put in the shot to immunize people against and this year they guessed wrong. It's part of why so many people seem sick this year compared to last year.

It matters because a skater should take every action possible to insure they are in good health when a major competition is coming up.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I have mixed feelings about this thread. It feels a little intrusive to be discussing the state of the Nagasu family finances. I'm sure the Nagasus are neither the poorest nor richest family in figure skating--I almost feel like it might embarrass Mirai if she knew people were talking so much about her family's income.

On the other hand, I'm sure many would argue that financing a skating career in North America is one of the most underdiscussed and least known aspects of the sport. The fact is, finances do matter. Just think of Rudy Galindo, for example. Rudy was open about how he came from a family without much money, and as a result, it was not easy to keep his skating going. It was a struggle at times, and I think he also stated part of his reason for turning pro after 1996 Worlds was to capitalize as much as he could on his success at that time. In the end, his tremendous talent could not be denied, but how many more U.S. titles and World medals might he have won if he'd had steady financial support for his training?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Her 7th place finish at Nationals would normally qualify her for Team C envelope funding. Fortunately, Nagasu's USFS team envelope funding should remain the same as last season. She's receiving Team B funding this season (better than Team C) due to medaling on the Grand Prix last year and will remain in Team B next season because of her bronze at NHK Trophy this fall.

I don't think any of us fans are privy to know, or assume, anything about any skater's family finances.

ETA that if anyone would like to send a message of support to Nagasu, here's the link to her Contact page of her official site: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/mirainagasu/contact.htm

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It matters because a skater should take every action possible to insure they are in good health when a major competition is coming up.

As I and others pointed out even if you take every precaution possible you still can get sick. There were other skaters who were ill at Nationals as well including Nathan Chen in junior men.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Mrs P is right. That Alaska airlines capt that fainted had what is believed to be norovirus, which dehydrates you to the point of fainting...that is probably what Ashley had....anyone can get anything at anytime, but one can take precautions.
Here are some pics of Mirai working in her family restaurant one week before nats, taking a nap before nats, and a pic of her after nats.
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/Omaha2013/

Chris who watches airline flight attendants stick their fingers inside the cup they give the apple juice to you in. No thanks. I have had norovirus...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Her 7th place finish at Nationals would normally qualify her for Team C envelope funding. Fortunately, Nagasu's USFS team envelope funding should remain the same as last season. She's receiving Team B funding this season (better than Team C) due to medaling on the Grand Prix last year and will remain in Team B next season because of her bronze at NHK Trophy this fall.

Is there anywhere online to see how much the funding is for various team envelopes? I'm curious to know if any of the levels cover the majority of a skater's training costs for the year.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Just for those who don't know, Mirai lives in Arcadia, which is quite a nice town, so while her family may not be rich, I doubt that finances are a huge issue, objectively speaking. http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/arcadia/ this site has information on Arcadia, and classifies it on a basis of per-capita income as upper-middle class for California and wealthy for the US as a whole. Mirai is no longer in high school, and didn't even attend public high school for her last two years, so if finances were a huge issue, I think it's likely the family would have moved to a more affordable neighborhood by now (a major draw of Arcadia and part of what makes it pricey are the great public schools there)

Of course, elite skating expenses for someone at Mirai's level I'm guessing is about $80,000-$100,000 a year, so even after funding, that's at least equivalent to a full-time private college tuition expense, which is difficult for most families to afford even if they are from well-off areas. My college has a notorious reputation for being full of "rich kids" and yet 70% of the student body qualifies for need-based financial aid, meaning their parents income is deemed to be not high enough to pay the $50,000 or so tuition fees each year. And there are lots of these kids on need based aid who drive BMWs, wear designer clothes, and have I-phones and other expensive things. The issue is not that Mirai's family is poor, it's that elite figure skating is REALLY, REALLY expensive, especially when you don't have a sponsorship or many donations and aren't receiving the top level of funding from the Federation.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just for those who don't know, Mirai lives in Arcadia, which is quite a nice town, so while her family may not be rich, I doubt that finances are a huge issue, objectively speaking. http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ca/arcadia/ this site has information on Arcadia, and classifies it on a basis of per-capita income as upper-middle class for California and wealthy for the US as a whole. Mirai is no longer in high school, and didn't even attend public high school for her last two years, so if finances were a huge issue, I think it's likely the family would have moved to a more affordable neighborhood by now (a major draw of Arcadia and part of what makes it pricey are the great public schools there)

Of course, elite skating expenses for someone at Mirai's level I'm guessing is about $80,000-$100,000 a year, so even after funding, that's at least equivalent to a full-time private college tuition expense, which is difficult for most families to afford even if they are from well-off areas. My college has a notorious reputation for being full of "rich kids" and yet 70% of the student body qualifies for need-based financial aid, meaning their parents income is deemed to be not high enough to pay the $50,000 or so tuition fees each year. And there are lots of these kids on need based aid who drive BMWs, wear designer clothes, and have I-phones and other expensive things. The issue is not that Mirai's family is poor, it's that elite figure skating is REALLY, REALLY expensive, especially when you don't have a sponsorship or many donations and aren't receiving the top level of funding from the Federation.

$50,000 a year for tuition? Yikes! I think I spent like $20k for my entire college career. Granted, I been out of college for nearly a decade now and went to a public school.

But mods, do you think this discussion of skating costs is worth its own thread? I know it started with Mirai, but I think we would gain by having a general discussion.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think back in 1969, my tuition at the University of Ill. was under $1,000 a year. I got my pilots license for $500. Just goes to show the power of inflation.
Here is a question. Some skaters sign up with the New England Amateur Skating Association (NEASF). You go to the skater's website, click "donate", it links you to
the New England Amateur Skating Association (NEASF), you download a form and fill it out and send in a check for your favorite skater. The money is fully tax deductible
and it goes directly to the expenses incurred...for instance, if you are a dance pair...

***Any contribution is much appreciated and 
tax-deductible under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code***

Practice ice time / week:

$ 340

Off-ice conditioning / week:

$ 200

Off-ice dance / week:

$ 200

Skate boots per season:

$ 1,450

Skate blades per season:

$ 900

Sharpenings / month:

$ 100

Non-Team USA competition expenses (x2-3 annually):

$ 3,100

Information about the New England Amateur Skating Foundation (NEASF):

•The NEASF is a tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
•The mission of the NEASF is to help competitive skaters defray some of their expenses.
•The Foundation offers the opportunity of sponsorship to anyone who would like to provide assistance.
•Donations can be received from both individuals and corporations.
•The donations are used to defray only skating-related expenses.
•Invoices are submitted by the skater and payment is made directly to the vendor or provider of services.

Soooo...why dont all skaters take part in this program?

You do feel for them terribly....in JA's case, I have a bad back too and I know what a competitor he is to go out there...and who knows if his doc said he could cripple himself way further like Plushy did? And of course I love Mirai...I keep thinking of that twitter pic she posted of her sleeping like a baby with her dog right before she left for nats....breaks my heart. But then something happens like the guy who I wont name behind me who went into seizure right after the ladies free but before the medals...thankfully he is ok after two days in the hospital and back to work but it makes you think about Ashley's statement on the Jumbotron.... "Its just a skate" I dont think Mirai over reacted. The fates are cruel. But my hope is that with historical perspective, she will put this in its proper place and who amoung us can say that in the future, this was a good thing or a bad thing? I just wish her happiness. Not to be macabre about life but I have a skating event friend named Howard. He skated against a certain hall of fame coach named Frank C. Actually roomed with him at a skating camp one year. He took from MVO. Howard and I were sitting together one event and watching the jumbotron about the the terrible air disaster that killed the US team. I turned to Howard and said, "Howard, if you had been a better skater, you might have been on that plane." And he said to me, "And dont think I dont ponder that every time I watch that video." Be happy, Mirai Nagasu. You are loved.

That's an amazing story about your friend Howard; goodness, he even trained with Maribel Owen, who perished on that flight with both her daughters. Yes, not being on that plane because one didn't make it onto the podium must give one perspective on the other distresses of life. By coincidence I was going through my skating books earlier today, and I was reading Skate Talk, the book with quotes from skaters, coaches, choreographers, and officials. In one passage, Frank Carroll talks about how sad he was for years because he would want to pick up the phone and call Maribel Owen about, for example, a problem he was having helping a skater with a rocker in school figures, and she was gone.

I hope Mirai can pick herself up and continue in one direction or the other. Either way, she has a lot to look forward to. One thing I especially like to think about with Kurt Browning is that he never won an Olympic medal of any color in three tries. It was so hard for him at first; remember how he apologized to Canada on TV? Yet he has had an unparalleled career, both Olympic-eligible and professional, that dwarfs the careers of many an Olympic gold medalist. At first even I, just a devoted spectator, was devastated for him--imagine how he felt. But somehow he picked himself up and shook it off. This career arc should give hope and inspiration to everyone in skating. More is possible. And conversely, Michelle's career arc gives hope that a skater can find a rewarding path outside of skating. Whichever route Mirai takes, I hope she can look forward with renewed enjoyment and optimism.