I feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If there is a 3rd spot next year I think it would be between Hicks, Agnes, and Gao with Agnes getting it if she doesnt totally bomb, and Czisny and Nagasu having outside shots.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I love Mirai but I can't say she was robbed tonight. She placed behind a bunch of skaters (aside from Ashley and Agnes) who all performed the skates of their lives. Mirai really has an issue with UR'ing when she's tired late in her program that, if she can fix, will improve her placement a lot. One change I'd like to see is for judges to not know if a jump is underrotated before they score it because these skaters get the downgrade PLUS the -GOE when it can look like a good jump to the naked eye, whereas an actual double jump can score better with 0 GOE.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Her URs were quite obvious to the naked eyes. I think she might get one or two more points in the SP, but I thought she was scored generously in the LP. Her PCS clearly shouldn't clear 60.
Not that Gold should clear 60, either. Gold should be in the 55-57 range. Cesario should get at least 57-59 for hers. Mirai was half-dead out there, looking like she's about to puke mid way, her PCS should be even lower than Gold who actually performed her crappy program.
As for Gashley, her PCS should be at most 60.

Gao is robbed. She should have been third.

Somebody should put a stop to this Agnes mess. This girl is unreliable. She can't skate a clean program. She won't crack 110 internationally. They should show her the door like they did to Caroline and Mirai.

noidont

Final Flight
I think having an "all-american" podium helps USFSA promoting the sport? Otherwise I don't see why Agnes Zawadzki consistently gets gifts. First Mirai's GP spot, now this. I don't think Nagasu is in the best shape as a Sochi contender, but C. Gao is a better shot than Agnes. She made GPF. What has Agnes ever achieved on the senior level?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
that was heart wrenching watching her reaction to the judges' marks at nationals tonight. She seemed totally devastated.

Imagine all that hard work to get back on top in the sport, and finishing 3rd in the short, with the possibility of making it on the podium. No, her program certainly wasn't her best. I have never felt so sorry for someone like this in a long time (and granted what she experienced was far from the worst thing in the world). This raw human emotion really affected me.

I heard the boos of the crowd - they seemed to think she was given a raw deal. Were the judges' basically telling her to "move aside" for the new up-and-coming? The politics of this sport are brutal.

imo, it should be nbc who wouldn't get out of her face with the camera

ITA. Feeling crushed for her & Caroline!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skating last was not going to be a good thing for Mirai no matter how things panned out Her nerves get the best of her. And when Gold dropped that huge score earlier in the night it made not only Mirai but i think it made almost everyone in the top 5 a bit more nervous because they all needed a season's best to beat her..

ITA. Feeling crushed for her & Caroline!

Poor Mirai. And having to skate while so sick. Could the camera not have devoured her for that awful moment in the kiss and cry?

I thought Caroline and Christina were wonderful. But I think that for next year, if Christina is really serious about getting further ahead, she'll need to cut down on her classwork or take the semester off. In a way, her fulltime student chores plus her skating are like Kristi Yamaguchi skating both pairs and singles. Kristi excelled in both but had reached as high as she could in both disciplines. She had to choose one or the other. In an Olympic year, it seems as if Christina should choose skating, because that chance will not come again. She's a wonderful skater.

Icey

Record Breaker
I was stunned at the unexpected severity of it. Before Sochi, there really needs to be an independent investigation of what is going on in figure skating.
The federations think nothing of chewing up and spitting out these young women when they are no longer useful. Why anyone, or their parents, would, for one moment, think of subjecting themselves to the capriciousness of this sport is beyond me. Even though Ashley won the gold, "gifted imo", she , in essence has already been dethroned or, at a minimum, her gold is tarnished. She best not rest on her laurels, for she has a hard road ahead of her unless she ups the ante soon and unless the USA manages to get three spots for the Olympics.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If there is a 3rd spot next year I think it would be between Hicks, Agnes, and Gao with Agnes getting it if she doesnt totally bomb, and Czisny and Nagasu having outside shots.

Well, if it is to be between those 3, then I really hope Christina earns it and receives the nod of approval. Hicks to me is the very definition of a cray cray bull in a china shop with her hunched back, terrible posture, novice choreography and skating skills, and complete lack of sophistication. Senior international judges would rightfully terminate Courtney on the PCS score. I'm of the opinion too that Zawadzki is receiving too many breaks from the USFSA and she doesn't capitalize on any of them. She cannot be depended on to skate a clean program at all. Gao has not been as fortunate in receiving those breaks and, to me, that isn't fair one bit. Christina has just started to endear me to her skating this season because I do sense that she has now matured into a woman skater out there. I hope she doesn't give up on her Olympic dream and gives it all she's got!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Caroline gave it a whole lot more than Mirai. Mirai wasn't in the zone, but she wasn't in the program either. I wasn't sold at all. She had other skaters who were clean that were ahead of her - for the most part.

Neither Caroline or Mirai have given the judges a reason to give them the benefit of the doubt. (Not saying Agnes has)

I'm just not seeing the wuzrobbed on that one. If we're to be mad at anyone, IMO, it should be NBC who wouldn't get out of her face with the camera.

I totally agree with your entire post.:agree:

volk

Final Flight
I feel very sorry for Mirai. She should've been placed higher in FS but not by much. She was very tentative which affected PCS. But I also would've had her 2nd in SP.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If we did get a third spot back i think someone like Wang or Cesario could contend. Wang has all the goods she just kills herself in the SP and Cesario needs to up her tech scores. Alissa is almost 26 with a bad hip and Mirai is inconsistent and not getting better. As for Agnes she needs to prove she can skate a clean LP and Gao needs to keep getting better also. It says how much depth there is now that the 3rd group outskated the last group. 2014 Nationals is going to be a bloodbath. It was last night. :unsure:

flying camel

Medalist
If we did get a third spot back i think someone like Wang or Cesario could contend. Wang has all the goods she just kills herself in the SP and Cesario needs to up her tech scores. Alissa is almost 26 with a bad hip and Mirai is inconsistent and not getting better. As for Agnes she needs to prove she can skate a clean LP and Gao needs to keep getting better also. It says how much depth there is now that the 3rd group outskated the last group. 2014 Nationals is going to be a bloodbath. It was last night. :unsure:

Mirai needs to quit carrying her emotions on her sleeve. While watching her I just thought she must be sick. We the audience should not know that. She has to learn to fake it like everyone else. I don't know what she can do to fix the underrotations. I think she has had many chances in the past, but now that new skaters are coming along the USFSA does not have to put up with Mirai or Zhangs problems.

I feel bad for Christina. She should have been on the podium this year. She skated beautifully. She should have been 3rd or 4th. She buried herself in the short. How does Agnes stay on the podium with those bad skates. She does have big huge jumps, but if she does not do anything with them in the future the USFSA will lose faith in her also.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I watched the YouTube video of Ashley's interview, which of course showed Mirai and her scores. I was devastated for her and as a mom wanted to jump through the screen, smack the camera man and give her the biggest hug!

I wasn't able to watch last night but from reading the posts it seems there is a big divide between bronze( because of the Sp) and maybe 5th. I can't comment til I see her skate. Regardless this is the time for Mirai to get angry. Find a coach who is great technically and a choreographer who suits her style. Train like mad on and off the ice and come back with a vengeance and give no one in the USFSA a reason to hold her back.

If that were to happen, I think Mirai is just as good as anyone in the world, especially in the US. The determination was there this season. I do not want to see her give up. She was soo close to a medal in 2010 and she could challenge for the podium in Sochi. She was doing a 3Z/3T in 10 she will need to bring that back.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Amélie Lacoste ‏@melipetit
@mirai_nagasu You are a great skater!!!! Don't ever forget! Stay strong!
6:00 AM - 27 Jan 13​

:thumbsup: to both of these ladies.

heyang

Record Breaker
I was surprised by Mirai's final placement, but that was partly because my niece wasn't allowing me to give 100% attention to Mirai's performance. I noted the 1 fall. Mirai certainly didn't excude attack and passion, but I thought quite a few of the ladies skated cautiously.

I actually thought it was a good sign that Mirai had only the 1 fall - in the past, 1 fall usually led her to rush and fall more. So, look for the positives. She didn't totally fall apart and, if she was that sick, it was an impressive performance. The Flu has been reportedly severe this year - even if she was well enough to skate, it doesn't mean that she was feeling her best.

As for Caroline, I didn't see her short program yet. However, I think she just wanted to do a good job and feel proud of what she could do. While she's still slower than the other skaters, she's still lovely to watch and I thought there were some general improvements. Plus, you could see her happiness with her performance when she went into her spiral sequence - she did what she wanted to do in that moment.

As for their chances for Sochi, well, there's a whole year left. The lack of pressure could help them. Also, never count someone out. Chen Lu went from the top to the bottom to the top in a 4 yr span. Although I have to admit they have a tough battle to get there since Mirai needs to battle nerves and Caroline needs to improve her technique exponentially. No matter, I'll still enjoy watching them.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What makes it even harder for someone like Mirai you now have skaters like Hicks, Wang and Cersario getting into the mix. Nationals next year is going to be even more intense. More reason to get that 3rd spot back. There's to much talent to only have 2 spots. In 2010 there wasn't this much depth and quite frankly 2 spots was about right.

Layfan

Record Breaker
What makes it even harder for someone like Mirai you now have skaters like Hicks, Wang and Cersario getting into the mix. Nationals next year is going to be even more intense. More reason to get that 3rd spot back. There's to much talent to only have 2 spots. In 2010 there wasn't this much depth and quite frankly 2 spots was about right.

I don't see it. Based on last night, I think USA has the number of spots it deserves. Bleh. An awful night of skating except for Gold's LP and some good showings from other skaters who don't quite have the goods to make even the nationals podiums with clean skates, never mind worlds.

As for Mirai, I feel utterly crushed for her. But I don't get her performance last night at all. Did this flu come sometime in between the SP and the LP? Because she showed determination and life in the SP. Her lifeless and frankly grim performance last night was shocking. I don't know if she should have been higher than 7th. Maybe. But there's more trouble there than just the judges scoring.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
The UR call needs to go away. Audience were confused and booed and rightly so. This is a dying sport on the current track.

Moment

Final Flight
It's not the first time she's landed so many URed jumps, and they were too obvious to let them pass. I don't see how the judging was so harsh to her, given that they were actually generous to give her the PCS of 61, for that sloppy skate.