Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Wasn't she seventh last year too? Behind Wagner/Czisny/Zhang/Zawadski/Gao/Flatt, if I recall.
    Well she was 7th after basically a lackluster effort. I think samson's point is that she was doing a whole lot better and that would have placed better if she was not sick. Still, those URs are pesky little things.

Custom Title
    Maybe, but after a 7th place finish, she still got a GP slot and earned a second one. So it's not as if her international career is over, which I feel samson was implying when he said "Unfortunately with a 7th place finish I don't know what international even she could get sent to."

Unless he meant from this season, in which case, yeah - her international season is over. She's no Dornbush.

Custom Title
    I meant it in terms of this season. I think she'll definitely get at least one grand prix assignment. I'm still hoping she gets two, but it just seems like it's harder and harder every year to gain two events.

I guess partly my reasoning is also if she was able to go to a smaller event and display that she has in fact been growing and improving, it could give her a chance to sway USFSA to give her a second look. I know at this point I'm just waxing about hypothetical ideals but it's nice to dream...

Custom Title
    Has Mirai had any interviews post Nationals? I wonder how she's coping with the result.

I was more shocked to Ashley Wagner's reactions when Mirai started crying. It looks like Ashley was mocking Mirai.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I was more shocked to Ashley Wagner's reactions when Mirai started crying. It looks like Ashley was mocking Mirai.

It looked to me like she was laughing at her placement. But that could be because she thought she could lose, but instead was nowhere near that. So we I don't think we can easily conclude that Ashley was this evil.

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    It looked to me like she was laughing at her placement. But that could be because she thought she could lose, but instead was nowhere near that. So we I don't think we can easily conclude that Ashley was this evil.
    ... or maybe Ashley was happy she won? Really, between her SP and her FS, I'm sure she was relieved.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    ... or maybe Ashley was happy she won? Really, between her SP and her FS, I'm sure she was relieved.

I'd have to watch it again, but it looked like a chuckle to me. This means it was more than just victory celebration.

People are making a mountain out of perception. Ashley was thinking more about her own skate not what mirai was doing.

As someone who is always judged by their facial expressions ( and those that judge are constantly wrong ) I feel for Ashley. She's getting nitpicked to death for no real reason.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    I don't know where you're getting that... Agnes threw her comp away as usual. She would have been first above favorite Ashley in the SP had she not blown her double axel. She certainly had a chance. A great chance.
    Given the way Ashley skated and with Golds SP there is absolutely way Agnes wouldnt have won the title had she skated a strong LP. Not a chance she wouldnt have. She only has herself to blame as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    I'd have to watch it again, but it looked like a chuckle to me. This means it was more than just victory celebration.
    It wasn't a chuckle. She was smiling (probably at John Nicks) and then she looked sorry.

And I don't know why people are constantly surprised that skaters aren't the picture-perfect packages their federations would like us to believe.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Amélie Lacoste ‏@melipetit
    @mirai_nagasu You are a great skater!!!! Don't ever forget! Stay strong!
    6:00 AM - 27 Jan 13
    That is so touching! Amelie sounds like such a sweetie!

When I read about people saying Mirai needs to toughen up, I can't help but feel that it's fairly easy for us to say that people should toughen up when we're not in her position. I can't help but think it's a really hard thing to be tough if you work super hard, suspect you haven't put out what you are capable of when it matters- and in Mirai's case I think that getting the flu when she did did not help at all- and then, to be slammed by the judges. It's disappointing on multiple levels.

My question is this: even if Mirai's score was fair for what she put out, was it fair in relation to what the other skaters received?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    I meant it in terms of this season. I think she'll definitely get at least one grand prix assignment. I'm still hoping she gets two, but it just seems like it's harder and harder every year to gain two events.

I guess partly my reasoning is also if she was able to go to a smaller event and display that she has in fact been growing and improving, it could give her a chance to sway USFSA to give her a second look. I know at this point I'm just waxing about hypothetical ideals but it's nice to dream...
    Right now, Mirai is 16th on the ISU World Ranking list. With Worlds and 4CC coming up, many skaters ranked below her could push her out of the top 24. She's #10 on the Seasons Best list, but the same caveat holds for that list. I think she might lose out on World Ranking but stay top 24 on Seasons Best. She might get one GP invitation, and be on the eligible list for a second event as she was this season. But as we've seen this season, many hosts are reluctant to pick her as a substitute because her chances of medaling and bombing are about equal.
    Last edited by chuckm; 01-27-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Mirai had the misfortune to be skating sick. It happens - Caryn Kadavy had to withdraw from the Olympics after skating the short program because she got the flu and was too feverish to skate her free program. As one who has felt ill recently, I can't imagine what it takes to skate and spin while feeling nauseous.

Would she have skated better if she had been feeling well? can't really say. I'd like to think she would've.

Anyway, I won't count her out until she retires. Mirai has the ability and the energy. Hopefully, her new coaching situation will help her find the self discipline to train and the competitive spark again.

Custom Title
    Yes, that was heartbreaking. I mean, they call it the kiss and cry, but still.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast