Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: I feel sorry for Mirai Nagasu

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    It wasn't a chuckle. She was smiling (probably at John Nicks) and then she looked sorry.

And I don't know why people are constantly surprised that skaters aren't the picture-perfect packages their federations would like us to believe.
    This. It was a smile, or maybe at worst a smirk, but she looked sorry about the second Mirai almost burst into tears. I think she was happy she won, perhaps at worst in a gloating way, but I think she was sorry (not to have won but for her reaction) when she saw how Mirai took it.

As for the rest, I also feel bad for Mirai but don't think the result was wrong- at best she should have been 5th (I'd have debatably placed Hicks and Sujan below her based on PCS). I do very much hope she will not quit.

Custom Title
    clip of Mirai in kiss and cry, but still can find her LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTPaiGuMTM8

Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    clip of Mirai in kiss and cry, but still can find her LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTPaiGuMTM8
    Saw it on TV and then watched it again to see if Ashley was smirking/chuckling. I'm not going to watch it again. I'm not; I'm done. I maintain that Ashley wasn't chuckling and I don't even know why I bothered to watch it again in the first place--Mirai's expressions in the K&C keep breaking my heart. And I'm not even going to try speculating and analyzing why Ashley made the expressions she did. She smiled and then looked sorry--that's it for me.

Was it an awkward moment for television? Yes. Did the camera crew deliberately film Ashley's face with Mirai's expression on the monitor in the background? Probably. It makes for feeling-inducing television.

Mirai's LP (and the rest pf the top 12) is in my post in the Ladies' LP thread here:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post704496
    Last edited by aftertherain; 01-27-2013 at 06:41 PM.

skating philosopher
    Just watched that video clip. I don't think it's a smirk. More like a grimmace that she won in such an unideal fashion. I think she wanted to win with a clean program. Ashley thrives on competition and winning by default seems so unsatisfying, you know?

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Just watched that video clip. I don't think it's a smirk. More like a grimmace that she won in such an unideal fashion. I think she wanted to win with a clean program. Ashley thrives on competition and winning by default seems so unsatisfying, you know?
    You're right--I actually wondered if she was smirking when I watched it live on NBC, but there was definitely an element of disbelief/disappointment on her face. Reminds me a little of Asada's victory at NHK, when you could tell that she hadn't expected to win.

On the Ice
    Marai knew she blew it when she came off of the ice. Her LP was listless and looked like she was just going threw the motions. I don't get all the sympathy. She has had more chances going to the Olympics and Worlds than any one skating tonight. She will never recapture the magic she had at 14 so I think she needs to move on. If Frank Caroll could do nothing with her. no one can. In my opinion the judges got it right. Ashley got a gift but even with her falls her program was far superior to Marai's.

i could not believe my eyes when i saw her scores after her skate. no it was not a good program, but 7th so much less than she deserved. the judging was so harsh to some skaters and generous to a few. my top 5 would have been

1. wagner or gold
    2. wagner or gold
    3. christina
    4. mirai
    5. agnes

although ashley was held up, she HAS proven herself this season to be for the most part reliable and a very strong competitor, but you have to remember she is still human. humans make mistakes, and they get nervous. she also just got over her injury and most recently food poisoning. i didn't fully expect her to skate like she was 100% healthy. keeping her in the top 2 was smart though, along with gold because they really are the US's best bets at worlds, and they CAN do it. i know it's not really fair considering all the great skates there were, but you can't complain about not having 3 spots if you're not going to send the most reliable or experienced skaters.

gold also proved herself here in the matter of TWO days that she is a fierce competitor. to pull it together in that short of a time period is so outstanding. with good skates these girls should have no problem getting 3 spots back. i have total confidence in ashley because of her mindset, and everyone knows that defending your title is the hardest the first time. who wouldn't have had nerves? ashley is hungry for gold and is out to win and will do anything to make that happen. i know she is going to train super hard for 4CC and worlds to make sure that kind of skate won't happen again. i also hope she throws in a 3+3 in the short and at least a 2A+3T in the long at 4CC to get her prepped for worlds.

christina was robbed of a medal. 5th was so undeserved, she skated so much more better than that. i don't know why USFSA is keeping agnes on the podium. i love her jumps, but as someone else said, what has she really accomplished as a senior, especially internationally? she has been a senior for 3 seasons now and she can't put together a clean short and long yet. she isn't reliable, whereas christina was fairly successful on the GP this season and even made the final. yes she had the mistake on the spin in her short, but what other reason does USFSA have to hold her down? nothing. agnes had more mistakes overall than her.

as for mirai, i am so heartbroken for her. even though i'm not her biggest fan i do support her and love certain aspects of her skating, and she worked so hard this past year. she made coaching changes, she has better programs, she is in better shape, and has been skating so much better than last year. the spark was starting to come back, and USFSA just blew it out. yes she is known for having many UR's throughout the years, but that program was better than 11th place and 7th overall, especially with her short program score. i was so sad to see her like that. i couldn't believe it.

as others have said, i think USFSA has officially said hasta la taco to mirai and caroline. even though agnes has been held up i think if she doens't show significant improvement before next year she will be written off, along with gao i am sad to say. they obviously don't think much of her for making her place 5th for the 4th time now. she deserves so much more. with these results i don't know how mirai, caroline, and gao will have the motivation to keep going. they pretty much told mirai last night she doesn't have a chance for sochi and obviously neither does caroline, and i will be a little surprised if they give christina a chance. if there are three spots, it will be ashley, gracie (which are two smart picks), and agnes, for whatever reason.

this sport is so unfair. the judging is going to push so many skaters away, no matter what level they're at. even the newbies were held down, and most of them skated lights out. hannah was underscored, as was ashley cain IMO. i don't know. i'm disappointed.
    Last edited by macy; 01-27-2013 at 06:56 PM.

From the trenches here in Omaha, the diehard fans I know that know way more than I do think that Ashley was given a early christmas present. So do I. We feel for and love Mirai but the poor girl is sick....its hard enough to skate when you are well...but the system needs change and that is a univeral feeling here amoung the fans....a fall is zero points. Period. Clean and artistic needs to be rewarded. There was a mens skater today who is very tall and skated a slow, artistic and well paced program....everyone enjoyed his artistry even though he was slow.
    I dont know what will happen to Mirai...maybe she will pull a Mao and rework her jumps....maybe she goes away. I wish the best for her and for happiness no matter what happens. She has a tough decision just like Lynn and Logan do. Is it time to say goodbye and move on or not? I love this sport but it is very cruel. Me? I am just a fan that likes artisty. And if you were in the front row when Gracie Gold did her Free skate, you would have given her a standing ovation too...

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    From the trenches here in Omaha, the diehard fans I know that know way more than I do think that Ashley was given a early christmas present. So do I. We feel for and love Mirai but the poor girl is sick....its hard enough to skate when you are well...but the system needs change and that is a univeral feeling here amoung the fans....a fall is zero points. Period. Clean and artistic needs to be rewarded. There was a mens skater today who is very tall and skated a slow, artistic and well paced program....everyone enjoyed his artistry even though he was slow.
    I dont know what will happen to Mirai...maybe she will pull a Mao and rework her jumps....maybe she goes away. I wish the best for her and for happiness no matter what happens. She has a tough decision just like Lynn and Logan do. Is it time to say goodbye and move on or not? I love this sport but it is very cruel. Me? I am just a fan that likes artisty. And if you were in the front row when Gracie Gold did her Free skate, you would have given her a standing ovation too...
    Chris, I would definitely love to hear what people out there in Omaha thought should have won the championship!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post

Mirai's LP (and the rest pf the top 12) is in my post in the Ladies' LP thread here:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post704496
    Didn't know she was sick. That explains the performance. Such a bad luck for Mirai. She deserves better.

Custom Title
    I think at some point people need to stop pointing fingers at the USFSA and understand the skaters are accountable for what they put out there. Mirai's COC LP was arguably superior to her skate last night, yet at Nationals she scored almost 6 points higher. She has been docked points for underrotations all year and she failed to fully rotate a number of her jumps last night. The complaints should be directed to a scoring system that values falls over downgrades, not some conspiracy that the USFSA is trying to promote Gracie (with a 9th place SP) and slam Mirai (with her 3rd place SP).

Its funny that you should ask that cause I was just thinking that I heard NO ONE say this person or that person should have won....only that Ashley was overscored....the crowd as a whole booed Mirai's placement...our hearts broke. I have COPD. I have no idea how Mirai found the strenght to go out there with damaged lungs, etc and skate as well as she did. I have no idea what drugs they are allowed to take and not take....but I love her no matter what she does. Is she a girl? Is she too emotional? I refuse to critisize people on the ice here. Especially people who I have reason to believe are nice people off the ice. I dont have the courage to get out there in MY tutu and skate. I respect them all out on the ice. Some, Like Lynn and Logan, I love off the ice for what they do and what they will do for others. And some I hate for their poor sportsmanship and manners. But out there on the ice, well, MY tutu is going to rot in the closet....watch for me in the stands at SA and Boston!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Its funny that you should ask that cause I was just thinking that I heard NO ONE say this person or that person should have won....only that Ashley was overscored....the crowd as a whole booed Mirai's placement...our hearts broke. I have COPD. I have no idea how Mirai found the strenght to go out there with damaged lungs, etc and skate as well as she did. I have no idea what drugs they are allowed to take and not take....but I love her no matter what she does. Is she a girl? Is she too emotional? I refuse to critisize people on the ice here. Especially people who I have reason to believe are nice people off the ice. I dont have the courage to get out there in MY tutu and skate. I respect them all out on the ice. Some, Like Lynn and Logan, I love off the ice for what they do and what they will do for others. And some I hate for their poor sportsmanship and manners. But out there on the ice, well, MY tutu is going to rot in the closet....watch for me in the stands at SA and Boston!
    Well that's the problem for me. No matter how you spin it -- there really isn't anyone else who should have won instead of Ashley. I agree 7th for Mirai was harsh, I think she should have been at least top five.

Exactly. You can not discount Ashley's short program and the lead she had. Not like the old days....Ashley lost the free, fair and square. But she won the shooting match.

Custom Title
    Having looked at the clips, IMO Ashley was simply relieved that she'd won, and wasn't rejoicing over Mirai's devastated reaction to her marks. Gracie of course wouldn't have been overjoyed that Ashley won, but at least was happy about going to Worlds after it seemed her SP would keep her out of the running.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast