Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: U.S. teams: Worlds, 4CC, Jr. Worlds

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Josh is going to Jr. Worlds, which is why he is not on the 4CC roster. My guess is Jeremy declined the 4CC spot. I'm sure he is doing a lot of soul searching right now; perhaps even determining if he wants to try and continue on this journey anymore.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post

Me too. Maybe he declined???
    Possibly but if he's not going to Worlds I wonder why he would unless his focus has shifted to next year...

Custom Title
    Why is Adam Rippon getting 4CC? Hasn't he been given enough chances to medal on international stage?!

Custom Title
    Well usually the Junior champion goes to Jr Worlds But Polina Edmunds didn't have the minimum score to go. Plus Cesario and Hicks were still Juniors internationally and competed on the JGP this season so they aren't really Senior.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by auga View Post
    None of the three girls going to Junior Worlds are juniors. Nor are any of the alternates. They all skated senior, except for Leah, who didn't skate at all, right? Is this normal?!
    Actually all the girls have skated junior internationally. And with the exception of Yasmin, who didn't skate on the JGP at all, they have all medaled on the JGP. Though honestly I'm surprised that neither their JGP final berths didn't cause USFSA to send Angela or Hannah instead.

Gosh, it's going to be another crowd for those JGP spots next year; hope the U.S. girls gets the maximum spots.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 01-27-2013 at 08:57 PM.

On the Ice
    yay christina is going to 4CC's! good for her! (:

I'm pretty surprised that USFSA didn't pick any lady who competed in the junior level to junior worlds. I think polina deserves a chance to go...I mean she won...

On the Ice
    actually, yasmin qualified for the JGPF in 2010

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    It seems unfair that Alex Johnson, who placed 7th, has no international assignments or even alternate assignments even though Brandon Mroz and Stephen Carriere (9th and 10th respectively) are both alternates for 4CC.
    Does he have the minimum?

It's a bit of a vicious cycle, these minimums. I hope that Johnson gets a senior B and GP host pick next season.

Custom Title
    I wonder if Gao will decline the spot to concentrate on school. Also will Mirai want to go.

A few things I've noticed:

I'm glad that the federation has chosen Gao to represent at 4CC. It proves that, although her scoring wasn't fair, they're willing to give her some opportunities. Coming in 5th has finally yielded some results.
    Tough break for Abbott. I doubt that he would pass up a spot at 4CC to give a lasting impression of his program for the season, but still... He didn't step up, but I don't think he should've been dumped like that (particularly over Rippon's mess of a FS and Dornbush's placement, speaking of which...)
    Why do the judges keep holding out on Dornbush? Maybe Farris could've been sent instead, but even after last year's debacle, I doubt this is the best choice.

However, I have a problem with the Jr. Worlds Team. I disagree with sending Siraj and Hicks. I can't comment for Cesario, but juudging from the report, I assume she earned her spot (particularly following an injury). Leaving Wang off the team is a mistake, she's had a good season with the Jr. Grand Prix, and even when she messed up the SP, she has never been out of the running. Her technical aspect is superior to everyone else in the field, and her placement should've been above Siraj, regardless of the small gap between them. Siraj doesn't have any International experience this season, limiting her results (regardless if she skates lights out). Also, her jumps are "Spindly" and small, resulting in inconsistent landings due to difficulties checking the jump's momentum. She has musicality, but her skating doesn't particularly project outwards. With Hicks, I believe that she was far gifted. With absolutely abysmal posture, uninspired choregraphy, zero attention to line in terms of JUST her PCS mark. Had her jumps been marked correctly due to her poor technique (such as her swingy axel and tendency to under-rotate her Triple-Triple, as well as her long set up time and breaks in posture AGAIN. Everything she does outside of jumps pales in comparison to Miller. Although her jumps are small, she, herself, isn't exactly statuesque. With some International experience, she will take off like a rocket. Her presence on the ice is remarkable and something that Hicks will never have; if John Nicks can't fix it, I don't think anyone can. A Jr. Team consisting of Cesario, Wang, and Miller would have been very potent and made a mark for the States.

Custom Title
    I'm really glad that Gao was chosen for 4CC and hope she accepts. It's a great chance for her to gain international cred.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by koriani View Post
    actually, yasmin qualified for the JGPF in 2010
    That's right; I was referring to this season, actually.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy15 View Post
    Tough break for Abbott. I doubt that he would pass up a spot at 4CC to give a lasting impression of his program for the season, but still... He didn't step up, but I don't think he should've been dumped like that (particularly over Rippon's mess of a FS and Dornbush's placement, speaking of which...)
    I highly doubt Jeremy was not offered the 4CC spot. He did, after all, come in a respectable 3rd and didn't have a total meltdown by any means. It's unfortunate that these athletes don't have an opportunity to take a day or two to let the federation know whether they want to do.

Yeah, judging how depressed Jeremy looked backstage, I wouldn't be surprised if he (maybe based on emotional reasons in the immediate aftermath of the comp), declined the 4CC invite.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    I find those assignments quite controversial.

World Championships

I don't agree with Denney/Coughlin being given a bye. Scimeca/Knierim's results this season have been fantastic for a new team. They didn't have one bad competition, iirc. D/C's shape by the time Worlds roll around is a very big unknown.

Four Continent Championships

Hicks has earned her spot fair and square with two very strong performances.

Farris has earned his spot fair and square with two very strong performances also. Yes both of them are getting Junior Worlds but they should get the option of 4CC as well. And sorry but Rippon got more than enough opportunities already.

I really hope that Abbott was offered a spot and declined.

I don't understand why Donlan/Speroff are higher on the substitute list than Denney/Frazier.

World Junior Championships

If Hicks was sent to Four Continents, this could free the spot for Polina Edmunds. She doesn't have the minimum score but there's still time for her to earn it. I guess she's still young and will hopefully finally get two JGPs now (it's outrageous she didn't get any this season, really).

---

Well the only real beef I have is D/C getting a bye to Worlds and Farris not getting sent to 4CC.

USFS should have left the second Worlds spot open to see how the three teams did at 4CC and do a test for D/C before Worlds to see if they are ready.

Farris had a strong season so far, gave two good performances at Nationals and is still quite young and very promising. He deserved to get both 4CC and JW. I am all for spreading the wealth but Rippon got a lot of opportunities already and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast