Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: U.S. teams: Worlds, 4CC, Jr. Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Farris had a strong season so far, gave two good performances at Nationals and is still quite young and very promising. He deserved to get both 4CC and JW. I am all for spreading the wealth but Rippon got a lot of opportunities already and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
    I hope that its Farris getting a choice of one or the other. But Adam was put ahead on the Worlds alternate list too. I frankly really don't agree. Now personally I find him a bit boring, but I think the programs can slowly be more exciting... However in terms of quality he of the US men is the most likely to become a champion....

I like Brown but until I see a quad coming around and a consistent triple axel, I'm not holding my breath. I get spreading the wealth, but I can't believe the USFSA doesn't realize this kid is someone who should be getting opportunities.

I refuse to feel to bad for Jeremy. I think in terms of Adam, he's been given a TON of chances, and I don't blame USFSA for being done.

Banned
    Rippon is so over. I cant believe the USFSA keeps their vested interest in an outdated product.

Rinkside
    I have to assume that the Denney/Coughlin assignment could change if his recovery is not satisfactory before the worlds and that Scimeca/Knierim have been told not to stop training until the day before the team depart for Worlds. USFS was furious a couple of years ago when Rachael Flatt was injured right before Worlds and did not withdraw herself. Hard to believe they would not keep an eye on Coughlin.

For women's 4CC assignments, one has to assume that Ashley turned it down. It's impossible to tell whether Hicks was offered 4CC or not, actually. Both Gao and Hicks are age eligible for JW. I am more inclined to think that Hicks had the first pick and chose JW instead of 4CC. Currently the US junior women's international assignment is a blood bath. I am not surprised that Polina Edmunds was not chosen, considering that she does not have a qualifying TES, while Angela Wang and Hannah Miller both do and neither did poorly at Nationals --- both did quite well in fact. I hope USFS will spend the money to send some of them to this season's senior/junior B competitions to collect some ISU points.

For men's 4CC assignments, I assume Farris has already agreed to take JW even before US Nationals, unless he made top 2. He didn't, and to JW he goes. The choice between Omori and Nathan Chen is ... oh well. I'm not happy about it but I can't argue with the logic. Again I hope Nathan gets to go to Gardena or something like he did last year. Also I would be very surprised that Abbott was not at least offered 4CC. It would not look good for USFS if this turned out to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Rippon is so over. I cant believe the USFSA keeps their vested interest in an outdated product.
    Yep, I agree, he shouldn't have cut his hair because I didn't recognize him.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Ahhhh I've totally forgotten about Nathan Chen. :(

I can see the logic but still... :(

Custom Title
    I think the USFS didn't do anything particular unpredictable but went down the line. A lot of it is clear if you look at the age limits and minimum score limits. My take on it:

Men:
    Start by looking at eligibles for Jr. Worlds. Of the top 10 Seniors, only Farris and Brown meet the age requirements and you have to go way down the list to find another age eligible (Choate I think). Top junior is too young but #2 Omori is age eligible, and has a little international exposure. Very logical choices for 3 spots and alternates. However, it also makes Farris a poor pick for a confirmed Worlds or 4CC spot due to competition overload, though being an alternate for Worlds is OK. Worlds went pretty much right down the order of finish, except switching Farris and Rippon. Since it's unlikely that both Aaron and Miner would fall by the wayside between now and Worlds, it's unlikely that depth more than first alternate Abbott would be called up to serve as a backup. 4CC, I'd make a guess that Abbott declined and Farris' Jr Worlds assignment is too close to 4CC in timing. Skip over those two and USFS has gone right down the list skipping over Johnson who doesn't have the TES requirement and Brown who has Jr Worlds also.

Women: Lots of Junior Worlds age-eligible ladies, but Gold, Zawadski, and Gao have all been there before (and medaled)....and all have been on the Senior GP. So going back to Jr. Worlds makes no sense and I doubt any of them would have wanted an assignment there. Take them and the aged-out ladies out of the mix, and you get...Hicks, Siraj, and Cesario. With Wang and Miller (next on list) as the top two backups. Choice of 3rd alternate Leah Keiser is interesting, since USFS passed up Cain and any of the Junior podium (who may not have the TES requirements, I know Edmunds doesn't). To me, Keiser is the main departure from the norm I see here.

4CC: I'd be pretty sure Wagner declined, and with the Jr. Worlds picks and alternates off the list, you get Gold, Zawadski and Gao who are next up. And Alternates Nagasu, Zhang and Cain. This all makes sense to me and I don't have any quibbles with it. I can't come up with any combinations for any of the competitions that I can lay odds would do any better than what the USFS picked.

Denney/Coughlin: I'm sure they'll have to have a USFS monitoring session to see if they are fit to skate. Standard procedure. I personally don't have a lot of optimism that they will be in competitive form, so Pairs Alternate #1 needs to keep practiciing.

Medalist
    After what happened during the LP I am so happy with these assignments for Womens. I think Mirai getting the alternate positions she got really will give her the boost that she needed, that she is still relevant. Caroline Zhang as well, she skated lights out for her LP and again was given an alternate spot. Thank god that Gao was given a spot or else that would have been a massive injustice.

This is a really good way to maximize our arsenal going into the Olympic year as it will give them all a tougher competition post nationals. I wouldn't even be mad if Gracie wasn't given 4CC and was replaced (although she could use the experience).

Resting Ashley was smart, she doesn't need another competition. She needs rest and needs to find her focus again.

3 spots. Let's go!

Custom Title
    I was a bit surprised USFSA did not offer a 4CC spot to Abbott. Are they losing faith in him?
    I would be even more surprised if they actually did and Jeremy himself declined it... It's the pre-Olympic season. Not much time left for every skaters. He sure needs this opportunity, I mean, makes the best use of this opportunity, to perform well in front of international judges and to finish as high as possible,doesn't he?

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    I wonder if Gao will decline the spot to concentrate on school. Also will Mirai want to go.
    I hope Gao goes. She has such elegance and grace on the ice. Certainly more than either Ashley or Gracie. Maybe she can work on projecting her personality a bit more, develop more "stage presence"

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    Me too. Maybe he declined???
    wouldn't surprise me. Maybe he needs time to regroup, bury that slow, "downer" of a LP for good and burn that ugly beige blouse.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Leaving Angela Wang off the Junior World team is completely stupid.

Yasmin Siraj should not be on the team. I would have put her 9th at Nationals anyway, not 6th. She also hasn't really improved the past couple years. Why is she getting this opportunity? Doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 01-28-2013 at 03:59 AM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    I was a bit surprised USFSA did not offer a 4CC spot to Abbott. Are they losing faith in him?
    I would be even more surprised if they actually did and Jeremy himself declined it... It's the pre-Olympic season. Not much time left for every skaters. He sure needs this opportunity, I mean, makes the best use of this opportunity, to perform well in front of international judges and to finish as high as possible,doesn't he?
    I bet he's worried about tarnishing his image further with yet another disastrous free skate. Plus he still can't land quads consistently.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauf View Post
    I bet he's worried about tarnishing his image further with yet another disastrous free skate. Plus he still can't land quads consistently.
    I agree...sigh...But he should be more worried about tarnishing his image further for not competing against some of world's top skaters at this 4CC, I would say. There won't be Chan and Fernandez. A good news to him. He can beat Mura. If he can beat one of Hanyu or Takahashi, he can prove to int'l judges and USFSA that his bad appearance/skates at US Nats was just a fluke and he is still No1 US guy. Why does he want to throw away such a precious opportunity to impress int'l judges with his dazzling performances which he is so capable of doing? Jeremy needs to understand it's a sport and a competition. He can't gain/get anything; wins, points/standings, fame, confidence, respect/support from his own feds, judges love or whatever, unless he shows up at competitions and gets to compete. It's the reality. And it's the same situation where every veteran skaters like Joubert, Takahashi and Akiko Suzuki; (all my favorite skaters and root for many years), face now. Unless they keep producing 'decent' results at comps to the degree which satisfy their own feds people, feds peaple are ready to dump these veteran skaters anytime soon and start promoting their next big stars/younger and promising skaters. For new money and more media attention, of course. Sorry to say but it's the reality. After 2010 Vancouver, it's been exactly JSF's attitude towards Daisuke and Akiko. Or, at least it's how I see JSF has treated them so far.
    Last edited by deedee1; 01-28-2013 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    I agree...sigh...But he should be more worried about tarnishing his image further for not competing against some of world's top skaters at this 4CC, I would say. There won't be Chan and Fernandez. A good news to him. He can beat Mura. If he can beat one of Hanyu or Takahashi, he can prove to int'l judges and USFSA that his bad appearance/skates at US Nats was just a fluke and he is still No1 US guy. Why does he want to throw away such a precious opportunity to impress int'l judges with his dazzling performances which he is so capable of doing? Jeremy needs to understand it's a sport and a competition. He can't gain/get anything; wins, points/standings, fame, confidence, respect/support from his own feds, judges love or whatever, unless he shows up at competitions and gets to compete. It's the reality. And it's the same situation where every veteran skaters like Joubert, Takahashi and Akiko Suzuki; (all my favorite skaters and root for many years), face now. Unless they keep producing 'decent' results at comps to the degree which satisfy their own feds people, feds peaple are ready to dump these veteran skaters anytime soon and start promoting their next big stars/younger and promising skaters. For new money and more media attention, of course. Sorry to say but it's the reality. After 2010 Vancouver, it's been exactly JSF's attitude towards Daisuke and Akiko. Or, at least it's how I see JSF has treated them so far.
    Because maybe Jeremy isn't in the shape to compete with the Japanese men/Chan? And you always have produce results-if you don't, you will get dumped. Federations are willing to make allowances for younger skaters who are just getting use to the scene understandably but someone Jeremy's age?

As for promoting young talent-federations have too. Its not just about money its also about the future when the original sport retires.

Custom Title
    I totally disagree that Adam is "over!" He completely reinvented himself this year - not just cutting his hair. In the past he's skated to somewhat dreary classical pieces. This program was fresh and interesting and had he skated a better short he would have really been in the hunt.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast