U.S. teams: Worlds, 4CC, Jr. Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

U.S. teams: Worlds, 4CC, Jr. Worlds

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Leaving Angela Wang off the Junior World team is completely stupid.

Yasmin Siraj should not be on the team. I would have put her 9th at Nationals anyway, not 6th. She also hasn't really improved the past couple years. Why is she getting this opportunity? Doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Eislauf

On the Ice
I was a bit surprised USFSA did not offer a 4CC spot to Abbott. Are they losing faith in him?
I would be even more surprised if they actually did and Jeremy himself declined it...:confused: It's the pre-Olympic season. Not much time left for every skaters. He sure needs this opportunity, I mean, makes the best use of this opportunity, to perform well in front of international judges and to finish as high as possible,doesn't he?

I bet he's worried about tarnishing his image further with yet another disastrous free skate. Plus he still can't land quads consistently.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I bet he's worried about tarnishing his image further with yet another disastrous free skate. Plus he still can't land quads consistently.

I agree...sigh...But he should be more worried about tarnishing his image further for not competing against some of world's top skaters at this 4CC, I would say. There won't be Chan and Fernandez. A good news to him. He can beat Mura. If he can beat one of Hanyu or Takahashi, he can prove to int'l judges and USFSA that his bad appearance/skates at US Nats was just a fluke and he is still No1 US guy. Why does he want to throw away such a precious opportunity to impress int'l judges with his dazzling performances which he is so capable of doing? Jeremy needs to understand it's a sport and a competition. He can't gain/get anything; wins, points/standings, fame, confidence, respect/support from his own feds, judges love or whatever, unless he shows up at competitions and gets to compete. It's the reality. And it's the same situation where every veteran skaters like Joubert, Takahashi and Akiko Suzuki; (all my favorite skaters and root for many years), face now. Unless they keep producing 'decent' results at comps to the degree which satisfy their own feds people, feds peaple are ready to dump these veteran skaters anytime soon and start promoting their next big stars/younger and promising skaters. For new money and more media attention, of course. Sorry to say but it's the reality. After 2010 Vancouver, it's been exactly JSF's attitude towards Daisuke and Akiko. Or, at least it's how I see JSF has treated them so far. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I agree...sigh...But he should be more worried about tarnishing his image further for not competing against some of world's top skaters at this 4CC, I would say. There won't be Chan and Fernandez. A good news to him. He can beat Mura. If he can beat one of Hanyu or Takahashi, he can prove to int'l judges and USFSA that his bad appearance/skates at US Nats was just a fluke and he is still No1 US guy. Why does he want to throw away such a precious opportunity to impress int'l judges with his dazzling performances which he is so capable of doing? Jeremy needs to understand it's a sport and a competition. He can't gain/get anything; wins, points/standings, fame, confidence, respect/support from his own feds, judges love or whatever, unless he shows up at competitions and gets to compete. It's the reality. And it's the same situation where every veteran skaters like Joubert, Takahashi and Akiko Suzuki; (all my favorite skaters and root for many years), face now. Unless they keep producing 'decent' results at comps to the degree which satisfy their own feds people, feds peaple are ready to dump these veteran skaters anytime soon and start promoting their next big stars/younger and promising skaters. For new money and more media attention, of course. Sorry to say but it's the reality. After 2010 Vancouver, it's been exactly JSF's attitude towards Daisuke and Akiko. Or, at least it's how I see JSF has treated them so far. :sarcasm:

Because maybe Jeremy isn't in the shape to compete with the Japanese men/Chan? And you always have produce results-if you don't, you will get dumped. Federations are willing to make allowances for younger skaters who are just getting use to the scene understandably but someone Jeremy's age?

As for promoting young talent-federations have too. Its not just about money its also about the future when the original sport retires.

noskates

Record Breaker
I totally disagree that Adam is "over!" He completely reinvented himself this year - not just cutting his hair. In the past he's skated to somewhat dreary classical pieces. This program was fresh and interesting and had he skated a better short he would have really been in the hunt.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Because maybe Jeremy isn't in the shape to compete with the Japanese men/Chan? And you always have produce results-if you don't, you will get dumped. Federations are willing to make allowances for younger skaters who are just getting use to the scene understandably but someone Jeremy's age?

As for promoting young talent-federations have too. Its not just about money its also about the future when the original sport retires.

If he wasn't in his best shape and had to compete this weekend, I feel sorry for him. But he then could have avoided going for a quad in the Free and focused more on skating clean. The way they scored Abbott and others in SP, I mean, to score those who went for a quad so that skated a bit sloppy relatively low (namely Aaron, Miner), they were willing to crown Abbott once again in the Free with lots of +GOE for successful elements and of course highest PCS, maybe? A bit of a shame that Abbott lost levels on 3 spins and StSq... :bang:

And right, I agree on 'the future of the sport' part. I forgot to add that. That's why I have never complained JSF's 'oh-you-want-to continue?,-then-as-you-wish' sort of attitude to the likes of Takahashi and Suzuki, though I'm a big fan of these two. :slink:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I totally disagree that Adam is "over!" He completely reinvented himself this year - not just cutting his hair. In the past he's skated to somewhat dreary classical pieces. This program was fresh and interesting and had he skated a better short he would have really been in the hunt.

I liked Adam too but I think he maybe needs to put his career aspirations on hold until after 2014. He's young enough that he could try for 2018. I think that with the slew of retirements we'll see post 2014, the quad might become less of a big deal in the next quadrennial, and if that's the case, Adam could be competitive. But right now he just doesn't have the tech to compete with the top guys, and I don't know if he's going to be able to ever get it just where he's not the strongest jumper and doesn't have loads of speed or textbook technique to help him out. He needs to bring the quad back and at least get it to the point where it's fully rotated even if he's falling on it to have a realistic chance at Sochi. I mean a lackluster Abbott beat him by 20 points without a quad here, and Farris beat him by 15 after falling on his one quad attempt. Adam is good he just needs to become better and fast if he wants to get on the Sochi team, and the easiest way to do that is quad.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I liked Adam too but I think he maybe needs to put his career aspirations on hold until after 2014. He's young enough that he could try for 2018. I think that with the slew of retirements we'll see post 2014, the quad might become less of a big deal in the next quadrennial, and if that's the case, Adam could be competitive. But right now he just doesn't have the tech to compete with the top guys, and I don't know if he's going to be able to ever get it just where he's not the strongest jumper and doesn't have loads of speed or textbook technique to help him out. He needs to bring the quad back and at least get it to the point where it's fully rotated even if he's falling on it to have a realistic chance at Sochi. I mean a lackluster Abbott beat him by 20 points without a quad here, and Farris beat him by 15 after falling on his one quad attempt. Adam is good he just needs to become better and fast if he wants to get on the Sochi team, and the easiest way to do that is quad.

Well, maybe US skating is shrugging of the next Olympics for its men and looking ahead to 2018. Maybe they agree with you and that's why they put Adam on the 4CC instead of jeremy. But very strange.

I really like our women's 4CC team! Go Christina, Gracie and Agnes!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Josh keeps improving and Jason get a quad and keeps landing the 3axel US will be in better shape heading into 2018.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well, maybe US skating is shrugging of the next Olympics for its men and looking ahead to 2018. Maybe they agree with you and that's why they put Adam on the 4CC instead of jeremy.

I may have missed the announcement, but was there ever any confirmation that Jeremy was not offered 4CC? It seems a lot of people are mad that he wasn't offered the spot, but this assumption only furthers people's opinion that the USFSA is a corrupt and unfair organization. If he was, in fact, not offered a spot then by all means be mad.

Abbott must have been offered a spot and declined straight away. I can't imagine USFS would not offer him a spot given he won the SP and skated a decent enough FS.

Leaving Angela Wang off the Junior World team is completely stupid.

Yasmin Siraj placed higher than Angela Wang. So how exactly is it stupid?

He's still not landing jumps consistently.

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
according to Phil Hersh: Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil
4 Continents women: Gold, Gao, Zawadzki. John Nicks advised Wagner to skip it and regain her health

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Abbott must have been offered a spot and declined straight away. I can't imagine USFS would not offer him a spot given he won the SP and skated a decent enough FS.

Because Wang competed all season the JGP and even made the final. Shoud that not count for something? Yasmin has done nothing this year quite frankly. Plus Wang is and will be better in the future then Siraj.

He's still not landing jumps consistently.

Because Wang competed all season the JGP and even made the final. Should that not count for something?. Plus Wang is and will be better in the future then Siraj. USFS always does this. We see it every year. A skater who finished higher in the standings at Nationals will get a JGP assignment over someone who's skating much better during summer competitions. With young skaters what happened 6-7 month ago is a lifetime compared to how they are skating now. Some skaters get better and others drop off like Nina Jiang last summer who got a JGP assignment based on her 11th place finish but was terrible last summer. Polina Edmunds on the other hand skated lights out in many of her events and didn't get a GP assignment.

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
I figured that was the advice John Nicks would give Ashley. Better to have a rest + time to get more confidence on that 3F-3T and 2A-3T. I know Ashley landed a ton of 2A-3Ts in practices at Worlds, so I still believe it's possible she can deliver her best performances of the season at Worlds. She just needs to get fired up again. It's already been a loooong season for her, so *another* competition probably wouldn't be a smart move.
I do wonder if Jeremy really declined and whether that means his season is really over :(

capcomop

Rinkside

Well both Angela Wang and Hannah Miller have had great junior seasons so far. Hannah won silver at both of her JGP events and the JGPFinal. Angela performed very well as well. Yasmin hasn't been to a JGP event since 2010 and she placed 7th. Samantha has a slightly better record. But if the point is to build the team of the future based on who has the momentum from the past season and the best chance against the competition who will be there, why not the girls who have proven it already? Isn't that what granted Ashley a few .10s here and there???:)

Because Wang competed all season the JGP and even made the final. Should that not count for something?. Plus Wang is and will be better in the future then Siraj. USFS always does this. We see it every year. A skater who finished higher in the standings at Nationals will get a JGP assignment over someone who's skating much better during summer competitions. With young skaters what happened 6-7 month ago is a lifetime compared to how they are skating now. Some skaters get better and others drop off like Nina Jiang last summer who got a JGP assignment based on her 11th place finish but was terrible last summer. Polina Edmunds on the other hand skated lights out in many of her events and didn't get a GP assignment.

I agree. I personally think that when deciding a team for major championships, the whole season should be taken into consideration and not just Nationals.

Nathalie Weinzierl lost to Sarah Hecken at German Nationals but still got sent to Europeans because her international results have been a little better. And she ended up placing in the top 10, something I don't believe Hecken would be able to achieve.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I figured that was the advice John Nicks would give Ashley. Better to have a rest + time to get more confidence on that 3F-3T and 2A-3T. I know Ashley landed a ton of 2A-3Ts in practices at Worlds, so I still believe it's possible she can deliver her best performances of the season at Worlds. She just needs to get fired up again. It's already been a loooong season for her, so *another* competition probably wouldn't be a smart move.
I do wonder if Jeremy really declined and whether that means his season is really over :(

Ashley needs to pull out at least the 2 axel / triple toe at worlds if she does not want to be eclipsed by her media darling team mate.