Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Figure Skating names JW team

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar

News U.S. Figure Skating names JW team

U.S. Figure Skating names team for 2013 World Junior Championships

Pairs and Ice Dance official announcement from USFS:
    [INDENT][url]https://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=48908&type=media[/url][/INDENT]

[INDENT][INDENT]ETA: Announcement re men and ladies coming Sunday evening.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

[INDENT]PAIRS
    [LIST][*]Jessica Noelle Calalang/Zack Sidhu[*]Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier[*]Britney Simpson/Matthew Blackmer[*][/LIST][INDENT][INDENT]Alternate 1 - Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage
    Alternate 2 - Jessica Pfund/AJ Reiss
    Alternate 3 - None[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

[INDENT]ICE DANCING
    [LIST][*]Alexandra Aldridge/Daniel Eaton[*]Kaitlin Hawayek/Michael Bramante [??? surely USFS made a "typo"? her partner in fact is Jean-Luc Baker; ETA, USFS eventually corrected the announcement][*]Lorraine McNamara/Quinn Carpenter[*][/LIST][INDENT][INDENT]Alternate 1 - Holly Moore/Daniel Klaber
    Alternate 2 - Elliana Pogrebinsky/Ross Gudis
    Alternate 3 - Whitney Miller/Kyle MacMillan[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

[INDENT][INDENT]ETA:

[INDENT]LADIES
    [LIST][*]Samantha Cesario[*]Courtney Hicks[*]Yasmin Siraj[*][/LIST][INDENT][INDENT]Alternate 1 - Angela Wang
    Alternate 2 - Hannah Miller
    Alternate 3 - Leah Keiser[/INDENT][/INDENT]

MEN
    [LIST][*]Jason Brown[*]Joshua Farris [*]Shotaro Omori[*][/LIST][INDENT][INDENT]Alternate 1 - Harrison Choate
    Alternate 2 - Jay Yostanto[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
    Last edited by golden411; 01-28-2013 at 12:26 AM.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    I was about to say poor Polina Edmunds and then realized she wouldn't have likely had a chance to get the minimum tech score considering she had no internationals in the fall.

Custom Title
    tbh it seems like more of a shame to base your team entirely on one national competition re: they didn't send Miller. I'd think you could pick any three of those six and the odds are she'd likely come out of it with the highest placement based on how she has been received internationally.

i thought they had to send the junior champion? poor polina, because she could compete with them. not sure if i agree with the ladies choices...courtney hicks can compete with the best because she has the jumps but she can be inconsisent. sam has experience but not outstanding results and didn't make the JGPF. yasmin can be inconsistent too and i don't think has competed internationally in a while. i would have thought they would have sent hannah and angela, along with maybe courtney or sam. hmm. that one might come back to bite them in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissx3 View Post
    tbh it seems like more of a shame to base your team entirely on one national competition re: they didn't send Miller. I'd think you could pick any three of those six and the odds are she'd likely come out of it with the highest placement based on how she has been received internationally.
    exactly my thoughts. but what does the USFSA do anyways that makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    i thought they had to send the junior champion? poor polina, because she could compete with them. not sure if i agree with the ladies choices...courtney hicks can compete with the best because she has the jumps but she can be inconsisent. sam has experience but not outstanding results and didn't make the JGPF. yasmin can be inconsistent too and i don't think has competed internationally in a while. i would have thought they would have sent hannah and angela, along with maybe courtney or sam. hmm. that one might come back to bite them in the butt.
    They don't have to send the junior champion. And they can't in this case because Polina doesn't have a minimum tech score due to no internationals yet.

Custom Title
    Joshua, Jason, Maxim (maybe), Han Yan, Boyang Jin...oh man. What a bloodbath this is gonna be!

Last edited by karne; 01-29-2013 at 07:24 AM.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    I was about to say poor Polina Edmunds and then realized she wouldn't have likely had a chance to get the minimum tech score considering she had no internationals in the fall.
    31 Jan-3 Feb The Nordics
    7-10 Feb Bavarian Open
    7-10 Feb Dragon Trophy
    13-16 Feb Hellmut Siebt Memorial

All those events are before Junior Worlds and feature Junior Ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissx3 View Post
    I think that for a federation like USFS, with so many good skaters, basing the teams based on one event is rather silly yes. Look at the whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    31 Jan-3 Feb The Nordics
    7-10 Feb Bavarian Open
    7-10 Feb Dragon Trophy
    13-16 Feb Hellmut Siebt Memorial

All those events are before Junior Worlds and feature Junior Ladies.
    Yes. But I'm not shocked the USFSA isn't sending her to one of those when they have other skaters to send to Junior Worlds. That's an extra cost to them that I can't really see them spending when there's other eligible skaters.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I thought Polina Edmunds was too young for Jr Worlds?

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I thought Polina Edmunds was too young for Jr Worlds?
    Polina is 14. So, not too young.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    Yes. But I'm not shocked the USFSA isn't sending her to one of those when they have other skaters to send to Junior Worlds. That's an extra cost to them that I can't really see them spending when there's other eligible skaters.
    Yeah, I just wanted to point out that if USFS wanted to send her to Junior Worlds, they could have assigned her to one of those.

I guess she'll get 2 JGPs next season.

Custom Title
    Samantha is my pick to win junior worlds. Wow! What grace and jumping ability. The USA team is way too strong this year.

Custom Title
    Angela Wang should have gotten the nod over Yasmin to go to Worlds. This is what is wrong with the USFS. They take the results from Nationals and nothing else to decide their World team. Wang had a strong season on the JGP and even with as bad SP still finished in the top 10 for the second straight year. Siraj did not even compete on the JGP this season yet gets a Worlds slot just for one competition? Wang not only has more potential but would have finished higher at Jr Worlds.

Didn't Siraj have a weak season so far, other than for Nationals?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast