U.S. Figure Skating names JW team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

U.S. Figure Skating names JW team

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Simpson/Blackmer are lovely skaters but there's so little size difference between them, I don't think they really have a future in Seniors (not like he's going to grow at this age). Sorry. :(

There was perhaps even a smaller difference between Tai & Randy; I thought S&B were done last year, and was shocked to see how well they skated at US Nationals this year. However, at this point, they don't have a triple twist. What they do have:

FiDs4 -with the new death spiral rules, quite a few teams are not able to get level 4 on any death spirals.
Throw triple loop & Throw triple salchow (they landed all their throws at US Nationals, and the throws had decent size)
They did not seem to be having trouble with their lifts.
2A 2A sequence

They need a sbs triple jump. This is not affected by their relative sizes.
They need a triple twist. This is affected by size.

The problem they'll have is that the skills level of US pairs has improved. Of the top 4 or 5 teams, all have triple twists now, and one if not 2 sbs triples. US pairs aren't top 6 at Worlds material yet, but the field is really quite strong right now.

Calang & Sidhu are another team with no side by side triple, but they do have double axels. They do have a triple twist, although not of the most beautiful quality. Their throws are sometimes iffy, but they have a triple lutz throw and a throw triple salchow, and FiDs3

Aaron & Settlage self destructed about as thoroughly as I have seen any team do, and blew a respectable 3 point lead in the SP down to fourth in the free, and third overall. Calang & Sidhu deserve their spot at Junior Worlds. It isn't like there is anything so far about A&S that makes them stand out that much from the pack of juniors. After all, even in the SP, which they skated cleanly, they were just less than 3 points ahead of B&S and about 5 ahead of C&S (who had some problems with their 2A there).

A&S may really rock it next year. They have an iffy 3S, which is a plus, but both throws in the long went splat, as well as their double axel sequence, and the triple twist wasn't particularly great either. I don't see such talent there that they should be given a free pass to Jr Worlds. Let Calang & Sidhu have their day in the sun. It isn't like the US is going to qualify 3 pairs to Jr Worlds next year whomever they send, or that they will lose a spot either.

Who knows what any of these teams will do in seniors? Every one of them will need to upgrade their skills to make the jump. In the case of A&S, they need the mental toughness skill, not to mention better landings on their throws, and their 3S needs improvement, too.

Calang & Sidhu need a SBS triple and better twist technique.

Simpson & Blackmer need a triple twist and a side by side triple.

It isn't like Junior Worlds is the Olympics, and you have to wait 4 years for the next one.

Yes, I also thought that Simpson/Blackmer were done last season and did not expect them to bounce back like this at Nationals this year, showing really good performances.

I assume that sbs triples are a work in progress.

To be honest, triple twist is the only element which might be impossible for them to perform (or at least really hard) because of size. They do seem to be performing other elements ok. So hopefully as long as she doesn't grow any more and both of them manage their weight really carefully, they can achieve decent results (even if mainly at the national level) in seniors.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Siraj was second at Eastern sectionals, behind Samantha Cesario, first at New England Regionals to qualify for Sectionals. She didn't compete outside the US this season. She's had injuries.

Last time she competed outside the US, it was 2011 JGP Riga, where she finished fifth.

She has overcome several injuries, including a stress reaction in her knee, a broken foot, a fractured wrist and a broken toe.

Lackluster is not the word for it.

In 2010, she made the JGPF and finished 7th.

If it were me, I'd send Wang, Miller or Edmunds before I sent Siraj.

goldseal11

Rinkside
JW and Senior outlook

There was perhaps even a smaller difference between Tai & Randy; I thought S&B were done last year, and was shocked to see how well they skated at US Nationals this year. However, at this point, they don't have a triple twist. What they do have The technical progression and the new Judging system make this comparison difficult .

FiDs4 -with the new death spiral rules, quite a few teams are not able to get level 4 on any death spirals.
Throw triple loop & Throw triple salchow (they landed all their throws at US Nationals, and the throws had decent size)
They did not seem to be having trouble with their lifts. :biggrin:I agree their throws looked good and their lifts looked solid, I don't think the levels were representative of what will be expected at senior.
2A 2A sequence

They need a sbs triple jump. This is not affected by their relative sizes.
They need a triple twist. This is affected by size.
:biggrin:I agree with these statements. I think it will be difficult for them to get consistent with either element and not likely.

The problem they'll have is that the skills level of US pairs has improved. Of the top 4 or 5 teams, all have triple twists now, and one if not 2 sbs triples. US pairs aren't top 6 at Worlds material yet, but the field is really quite strong right now.:biggrin: I agree and would add the top 7 teams have triple twists. The new teams that showed up at senior this year looked shockingly good and need time together but have more potential than S/B A/S or C/S.

Calang & Sidhu are another team with no side by side triple, but they do have double axels. They do have a triple twist, although not of the most beautiful quality. Their throws are sometimes iffy, but they have a triple lutz throw and a throw triple salchow, and FiDs3. :biggrin:I don't think this team is technically good. I agree their throws were really shaky, I think she does not look comfortable in the lifts and will struggle with the levels. As I remember Calalang was a single skater that had triples that are no longer there. I'm not sure if Sidhu ever had triples.

Aaron & Settlage self destructed about as thoroughly as I have seen any team do, and blew a respectable 3 point lead in the SP down to fourth in the free, and third overall. Calang & Sidhu deserve their spot at Junior Worlds. It isn't like there is anything so far about A&S that makes them stand out that much from the pack of juniors. After all, even in the SP, which they skated cleanly, they were just less than 3 points ahead of B&S and about 5 ahead of C&S (who had some problems with their 2A there). :biggrin:I agree A/S self destructed, however this is a first time (that I know of) where this happened. I think they will learn from this and move on. I disagree that there is nothing that makes them stand out. They are usually very solid technically and consistent unlike C/S. A/S have the best chance of being a successful senior pairs team IMHO. C/S finished second so on paper they deserve their spot but their performance was not representative of the talent we should be sending to JW.(they got lucky) I think A/S would place higher and do much better.

A&S may really rock it next year. They have an iffy 3S, which is a plus, but both throws in the long went splat, as well as their double axel sequence, and the triple twist wasn't particularly great either. I don't see such talent there that they should be given a free pass to Jr Worlds. Let Calang & Sidhu have their day in the sun. It isn't like the US is going to qualify 3 pairs to Jr Worlds next year whomever they send, or that they will lose a spot either.

Who knows what any of these teams will do in seniors? Every one of them will need to upgrade their skills to make the jump. In the case of A&S, they need the mental toughness skill, not to mention better landings on their throws, and their 3S needs improvement, too.

Calang & Sidhu need a SBS triple and better twist technique.

Simpson & Blackmer need a triple twist and a side by side triple.

It isn't like Junior Worlds is the Olympics, and you have to wait 4 years for the next one.

I agree with quite a bit of what you said above. Other than A/S I don't think the other two teams will be competitive at Senior. The buz about the new teams at senior that showed up never skating junior have all the technical talent (if they stay together) and more potential than the JW teams representing the USA.