Gold is skating's bright new star | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Gold is skating's bright new star

mskater93

Record Breaker
I wouldn't be surprised if Pasquale or Marina Z do her programs initially this coming season. She has a relationship with Marina Z from spending a couple weeks with the Canton Crew working on effortless skating and I suspect Alex O may send her back for a couple MORE weeks after the season is over.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'd love to see Pasquale do her programs. I haven't been that crazy about Marina's programs for singles.

Heck, I'd like Bezic to come out of retirement as a choreographer and make a program for Gracie. Gracie is the female Boitano V. 1986-1987, just needs a Bezic to find the program.

Which reminds me...suggestions for music/programs for Gracie next year?

Be serious. I you suggest something about Smurf's or Peter Pan "I'm Flying" I will know you are not serious ;)

Icey

Record Breaker
Coyote, I just want you to know you deserve, really, really deserve, to be in the same thread as moi. Congratulations. lmao

ForeverFish

Medalist
I wouldn't be surprised if Pasquale or Marina Z do her programs initially this coming season. She has a relationship with Marina Z from spending a couple weeks with the Canton Crew working on effortless skating and I suspect Alex O may send her back for a couple MORE weeks after the season is over.

I'd like to see Jeff Buttle take a shot at one of her programs, actually. He did a nice job with Hanyu's SP.

The thing about Gracie is that her jumps get so much air under them that she completes the revolutions high above the ice, then has the leisure to look down and pick her landing spot. I have never seen anything like it.

ForeverFish

Medalist
The thing about Gracie is that her jumps get so much air under them that she completes the revolutions high above the ice, then has the leisure to look down and pick her landing spot. I have never seen anything like it.

Not to mention that, at 17, there's little chance that body changes will cause her to lose her jumps. I haven't seen an American lady with such technical prowess in years.

guanchi

On the Ice
Ashley is the US champ but is she really the golden girl?
I foresee a ton of Gracie coverage in near future, possibly endorsements that will have escaped Ashley, and marketing as our bright future star. Dunno why, but I think this is the real start.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Ashley is the US champ but is she really the golden girl?
I foresee a ton of Gracie coverage in near future, possibly endorsements that will have escaped Ashley, and marketing as our bright future star. Dunno why, but I think this is the real start.

Probably because it's easier to market "Gold is Golden!", "GOLDen Girl!" "Gold lives up to her namesake!", etc. ;)

That, and because she has a pretty smile. (Not to say Ashley doesn't have a pretty smile; she does.)

Probably because it's easier to market "Gold is Golden!", "GOLDen Girl!" "Gold lives up to her namesake!", etc. ;)

That, and because she has a pretty smile. (Not to say Ashley doesn't have a pretty smile; she does.)

Her first name is no slouch, too. Graceful Gracie grabs the gold.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Heck, I'd like Bezic to come out of retirement as a choreographer and make a program for Gracie. Gracie is the female Boitano V. 1986-1987, just needs a Bezic to find the program.

She and Michael Siebert need to go back to SOI while they're at it and help the pro skating get back their footing...

Sandy just needs to put down the mic and contribute her gift again! Stop pouting about the system and just do it for goodness sake!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Her first name is no s;ouch, too. Graceful Gracie grabs the gold.

Alliteration! I like that. :)

Also, bouncing off my earlier point; Gracie "peaked" at the right time. NBC decided to show Nationals this year because it's a pre-Olympic season event--many people were outraged that she didn't win, nabbing her sympathy bonus points and now more people know her name vs. that of Ashley's.

... Unpopular opinion, but I still think no one deserved the National title based one their performances there. :frown:

Layfan

Record Breaker

Also, bouncing off my earlier point; Gracie "peaked" at the right time. NBC decided to show Nationals this year because it's a pre-Olympic season event--many people were outraged that she didn't win, nabbing her sympathy bonus points and now more people know her name vs. that of Ashley's.

... Unpopular opinion, but I still think no one deserved the National title based one their performances there. :frown:

I've had the same sad thought.

shine

Record Breaker
On the contrary, the pressure was really on for Gracie in the FS. She was in a position where she HAD to deliver the goods or her shot at Worlds (and a chance to shine before Sochi) was gone.

Oh really? I'm sure if this was a certain Canadian skater, you would've said something like this: "she had absolutey nothing to lose going into the LP. It's easy to deliver when you have little to no pressure on you."

Where's your generally very fair and unbiased dis-hyping of overhyped skaters? :confused:

prettykeys

Medalist
^ Oh, pooh, at "no [girl] deserving to win the Nats this year".

Gracie Gold put down a technical performance that no American lady has done since...I guess someone mentioned Kristi Yamaguchi? Early 90's?

Yeah, so she messed up her SP. That doesn't make her FS any less commendable.

The two best girls to send to Worlds are being sent to Worlds. Ashley Wagner was held up a bit (especially in PCS, IMO) but Gracie Gold fairly stole the show and got a very deserving trip to London, Canada. I wouldn't have protested had she actually become the new US Ladies Champ.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Not in the last 2 seasons.

Perhaps when she failed to qualify for Nationals at the Junior level in 2010-2011? But I really wouldn't know.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Wasn't Gold considering leaving skating not too long ago?
Uh, no. She was very unhappy with herself when she missed qualifying for Juniors two years ago (2011) and had about 10 minutes of "I'm gonna quit" after falling 3X in the LP at Sectionals. Then promptly came home, said this is what I love and I am going to prove to myself that I can do this! She's been on a mission ever since.

Nadia01

Final Flight

Ditto.

Ashley won b/c that's what her federation wanted, nothing more. I can't even say it was the victory of the least bad.