Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Gold is skating's bright new star

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I'm happy Gracie was able to redeem herself but I'm not entirely convinced she's gotten over her nerves yet. She did have the luxury of skating without as much pressure. I seriously doubt if she believed she had a shot at gold sitting in 9th place more than 10 points back. There was pressure of course, but nowhere near what Ashley, Agnes or Mirai faced at the top. Good for Gracie to use that to her advantage and deliver a phenomenal technical program but what would have happened if she was in that last group with a legitimate shot at winning? The fact is she has yet to put together two convincing performances...

I do think she was overscored. Given her mistakes in the SP, the judges were pretty lenient. They kept her close enough to get back into it. Her LP was great in terms of the jumps but the program itself was not impressive at all. I think her PCS were overly generous but I'm not surprised; it is nationals after all and after landing all of those jumps the judges were going to make sure she got onto that team.

Given Mirai's instability and Agnes still being a wildcard, Ashley and Gracie are a good world team. However, neither of them would have medaled with the performances they gave this year. Neither will have room for errors like that at worlds where they won't have the luxury of national judges to boost them.

I agree with Kwanatic's last paragraph.

Wagner and Gold are the best team to send to World's IMHO and I also think they deserved their final National's placements, regardless of the # of points. I honestly don't think any of the other skaters outskated them in an overall sense.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post

Wagner and Gold are the best team to send to World's IMHO and I also think they deserved their final National's placements, regardless of the # of points. I honestly don't think any of the other skaters outskated them in an overall sense.
    I absolutely agree that their placements are correct. I'm just not sure that Gracie is a much better choice for the World team (at this point) than Mirai.

On the Ice
    I am very glad that Gracie is going to world and getting that International Esposure. If she skates like she did in her LP at Nationals she will do just fine. Marai has had so many chanches at Worlds and the Olympics and has never medaled. Time for some one else to have the oportunity. Gracie has all the Technical goods to medal. All she needs is a little polish and she will be hard to beat. It is a lot easier to learn the polish than the jumps and she is only 17. For her first Nationals she did extremely well.

I agree that Wagner and Gold are the team to send to Worlds. I will also say that IMHO, watching a TV or computer screen, you can not judge a skater's ice presence. I dont know how that effects a judge....even the techical pannel that I was listening to on the ear bug was way off some times on guesses of marks comming up, but Gracie Gold is an "IT" girl on the ice.
    Its hard NOT to watch her.....I wasnt the only one holding my breath when she skated the Free.....
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post

Gracie Gold makes an impression

Gracie Gold makes an impression with confidence, talent
    Christine Brennan, USA TODAY Sports | 7:28p.m. EST January 27, 2013
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ships/1868265/

She joined two-time national champion Ashley Wagner and third-place finisher Agnes Zawadzki in a news conference after the long program, and soon was praising her competitors in her own unique way.

"I just want to congratulate these other two women because they are amazing and they push me," she said. "They skated great short programs and really good long programs and they deserve to be here with me."

What an interesting choice of words: "they deserve to be here with me." It was the first time Gold had been there herself, of course. But give the kid credit for saying what she thought, and giving us a window into what appears to be her enormously confident world.

There's an icy steeliness to Gold that is likely to dissipate over time, at least on the ice, as she becomes a more polished figure skater. Landing massive triple jumps is one thing, and she has mastered that skill. But she will have to skate more mature, sophisticated programs, and soon, if she wants to join the likes of returning Olympic champion Kim Yu-na, two-time world champion Mao Asada and reigning world champion Carolina Kostner, among others, as world and Olympic medal hopefuls. What's more, Wagner, who herself is tough as nails, has a more accomplished international resume than her younger American counterpart.

But you get the sense that Gold doesn't care about who is in her way, which, while it won't win many style points, could be a very good strategy to try to plow through the skating world.
    This girl has potential and she knows it.
    Last edited by aftertherain; 01-27-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Custom Title
    I just feel like Gracie is this year's sacrificial lamb: the talented young skater everyone builds up after Nationals, only to tear to shreds next season.

Custom Title
    That was Gracie last year, when she won Juniors. She's been ripped apart and shredded all season because she had a bad skate at SC. Never mind CoR, where she skated well, that didn't change a thing. Now, when she's delivered a brilliant FS at Nationals, she's still being blasted because she isn't as good as Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova, even though they've both been in the game two years longer than her. She isn't animated enough, she has bad programs, she marches, etc., etc., etc.

Posters always go after the ones on top. The same thing went on with Kwan even at the height of her career.

Custom Title
    I do remember last season when The Gold Standard piece by Hirsch was published, thinking "Poor kid".

Very few skaters come out and medal in their first GP event, fresh up from Juniors. Cohen didn't win a medal of any colour until her second GP event of her second full season on the circuit. Fans expect too much from these kids.

Custom Title

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It's amusing in a odd way that the video shown is of the Japanese broadcast of US Nationals. I'm hoping someone that understand Japanese will translate what the commentators are saying please?

It's interesting how the US has had a revolving door of who was the "best skater".

For the following calalnder years

2005 Michelle Kwan (She just won Nationals for the 8th straight year.)
    2006 Sasha Cohen (The US's best medal hope for Turino, even counting Michelle Kwan)
    2007 Kimmie Meissner (She was a woman among girls.)
    2008 Caroline Zhang (although she didn't win nationals. She was largely perceived as the US's best skater because of her star factor.)
    2009 Rachel Flatt (Her 5th place skate at worlds was impressive, and she was Ms. Consistency)
    2010 Mirai Nagasu (For a while, people on GS were saying that she was the only US skater that had the potential to win Worlds)
    2011 Alissa Czisny She had a streak of great placements from the 2010 Grand Prix Series through the 2012 Nationals.
    2012 Ashley Wagner Like Alissa, here struggles started at the Grand Prix Final and continued into Nationals.
    2013 Gracie Gold

Any comments/suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    It's amusing in a odd way that the video shown is of the Japanese broadcast of US Nationals. I'm hoping someone that understand Japanese will translate what the commentators are saying please?
    They are saying that after 3-2-2 finally Gracie showed her first smile. They praised her speed and hight of her jumps. And a 17-year-old with huge potential finally came out from America.

To improve her expression and transition, I would say she should get some new choreo, like Zoueva or Wilson. Especially Zoueva helped Gracie lately, and also she improved Japan's Kanako a lot.

Btw, is it only me thinking those young girls wear too much make-ups on the ice nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    It's interesting how the US has had a revolving door of who was the "best skater".

For the following calalnder years

2005 Michelle Kwan (She just won Nationals for the 8th straight year.)
    2006 Sasha Cohen (The US's best medal hope for Turino, even counting Michelle Kwan)
    2007 Kimmie Meissner (She was a woman among girls.)
    2008 Caroline Zhang (although she didn't win nationals. She was largely perceived as the US's best skater because of her star factor.)
    2009 Rachel Flatt (Her 5th place skate at worlds was impressive, and she was Ms. Consistency)
    2010 Mirai Nagasu (For a while, people on GS were saying that she was the only US skater that had the potential to win Worlds)
    2011 Alissa Czisny She had a streak of great placements from the 2010 Grand Prix Series through the 2012 Nationals.
    2012 Ashley Wagner Like Alissa, here struggles started at the Grand Prix Final and continued into Nationals.
    2013 Gracie Gold

Any comments/suggestions?
    Interesting analysis, I agree that in the last year the US ladies have been so unsettled: just two years ago, Alissa was seen as a potential 2014 Sochi medalist, now a lot of people suggest her retirement, the same for Rachael and Mirai, what a strange field...

Custom Title
    Gracie's LP was spectacular, no doubt about it. Everything in the program was wonderful, jumps, spins, and footwork all there. In jumping she is amazing, right up there with Yuna Kim, and that is saying something. She still needs polishing and maturity in her presentation, but she is as good or better than any of the Russian wonderbabies are now IMO. The coming 2013 Worlds competition is shaping up to be a real exciting one for the ladies.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast