Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: And then there were 10... (ladies)

  1. #1
    Banned Reginald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    226

    And then there were 10... (ladies)

    At the beginning of this quad, 100s of skaters dreamed of being the Olympic champion in Sochi.

    Now only 10 skaters have a realistic chance of winning an OGM in 2014.

    (In no particular order)

    Gracie Gold
    Ashley Wagner
    Akiko Suzuki
    Kanako Murakami
    Mao Asada
    Yu-Na Kim
    Carolina Kostner
    Julia Lipnitskaia
    Adelina Sotnikova
    Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

    Who. Will. Win?

  2. #2
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,368
    Actually, I think Patrick Chan, Javier Fernandez, Yuzuru Hanyu and Daisuke Takahashi all have a good chance of winning. Also Volosozhar/Trankov and Savchenko/Szolkowy. And Davis/White and Virtue/Moir.

    Which is to say: I wish that when posting a thread focused only on the ladies (or any other discipline), people will note that it is indeed discipline-specific.

    As for your list, I disagree. It's probably Yuna vs. Carolina and some of the young Russians. Wagner, Asada and Suzuki are medal candidates, but unlikely to win it all. Murakami and Gold have no chance unless it's a splatfest.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    206
    I'd take Kanako out of there and put in Kaetlyn- jeez with those 2 massive threads about her, how could you possibly forget haha! (not that they both realistically have a chance, but I think Kaetlyn has a better chance at this point)

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Beyond Neverland
    Posts
    1,090
    mmmMiraiiii?

    oh yeah I forgot it is not March 2010 anymore.

    The list looks about right. Imo Kanako is far better candidate than Kaetlyn, she at least is a junior world champion and have to face with the likes of Akiko, Mao, Miki at home. Underrated based on what i can see. Need refinement and polish, perhaps learn to skate slower with pacing like Carolina can help her a great deal. Not sure about OGM as long as Japan is fully backing Mao as part of their 4 year plan. The power that be have done enough to change the rules in her favour already, to give up now would seems bit of a waste.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    722
    I dunno, it's just my opinion but I think Kanako and Akiko are not formiddable forces to be reckoned with in Sochi...Just my subjective opinion! And I think Osmond will have a say in it..so she should be on this list)

  6. #6
    the Golden Era sky_fly20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,864
    Kanako has a chance
    but i think Akiko is waning down a bit, and age is not on her side

    out of the new girls, Julia if injury free by next season should really make a standout
    shame that this season she had 3 injuries, she was not able to give everything but I hope to see her soon

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,684
    I think you'll have a better idea of who will be on that list after World's. Just saying...

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    We don't even know if all those skaters will even make it to the Olympics.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    206
    I would take Kanako and Suzuki off that list- they are getting no favors from the judges.
    That leaves the 4 blondes- Ashley, Gracie, Julia, Carolina- vs the 4 non-blondes - Yuna, Mao, Liza, and Adelina.
    So will it be a blonde or non-blonde, that is the important question

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    At the beginning of this quad, 100s of skaters dreamed of being the Olympic champion in Sochi.

    Now only 10 skaters have a realistic chance of winning an OGM in 2014.

    (In no particular order)

    Gracie Gold
    Ashley Wagner
    Akiko Suzuki
    Kanako Murakami
    Mao Asada
    Yu-Na Kim
    Carolina Kostner
    Julia Lipnitskaia
    Adelina Sotnikova
    Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

    Who. Will. Win?

    I would agree that all of those ladies have a shot at a medal, but really, only a clutch of them have the chance at gold.
    Potential Gold medalists are: Kim, Kostner, Sotnikova, Tuk and to a lesser degree, Asada.

    Outside shot at a bronze medal: Russian #3, Wagner, Suzuki, Korpi.......Gold/Osmond

    Let us see how worlds pan out!

  11. #11
    Custom Title FSGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,336
    Yes, I don't think that kanako has any opportunity of becoming the olympic champion, maybe a medal, just if a lot of the top skaters bomb, but not winning; yes, this list with Kaetlyn instead of Kanako would be really correct... Sochi 2014 will be a bloody battle in Ladies!!

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    beijing
    Posts
    1,910
    Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    I would take Kanako and Suzuki off that list- they are getting no favors from the judges.
    That leaves the 4 blondes- Ashley, Gracie, Julia, Carolina- vs the 4 non-blondes - Yuna, Mao, Liza, and Adelina.
    So will it be a blonde or non-blonde, that is the important question
    Ashley's definitely not a blonde. So much for your symmetry.

  13. #13
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Actually, I think Patrick Chan, Javier Fernandez, Yuzuru Hanyu and Daisuke Takahashi all have a good chance of winning. Also Volosozhar/Trankov and Savchenko/Szolkowy. And Davis/White and Virtue/Moir.

    Which is to say: I wish that when posting a thread focused only on the ladies (or any other discipline), people will note that it is indeed discipline-specific.

    As for your list, I disagree. It's probably Yuna vs. Carolina and some of the young Russians. Wagner, Asada and Suzuki are medal candidates, but unlikely to win it all. Murakami and Gold have no chance unless it's a splatfest.
    Was thinking the same thing only I'd throw Asada in the mix for gold. At least she has the potential.

    I think it will be much easier to respond to this thread after worlds. Then we'll see what really going on with Yuna and how the Russians fare and Carolina. Ashley and Gracie have to be smashing to move up to OGM gold medal potential status.

  14. #14
    the Golden Era sky_fly20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,864
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Ashley's definitely not a blonde. So much for your symmetry.
    ah yes, she just dyed her hair, lol
    Julia I think is not blonde also, maybe wheatish hair

  15. #15
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    89
    I still think it's too early to judge for anyone. With injuries and sudden reversals in fate, you never know. For example, at 2009 nationals no one would've guessed that Mirai would've done so well at the Olympics. Even throughout her GP season in 2010 before the Olympics she wasn't ready. I'm not saying that Mirai is going to be the next OGM because it's unlikely. But I think there are still many skaters that could surprise us.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •