And then there were 10... (ladies) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

And then there were 10... (ladies)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh:
I don't want to jinx any one's chances, so I'll go out on a limb here and say Rachel Flatt will win the OGM. Just watch--she'll stage a last-minute comeback and unseat the defending Olympic champion Yuna Kim.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I don't want to jinx any one's chances, so I'll go out on a limb here and say Rachel Flatt will win the OGM. Just watch--she'll stage a last-minute comeback and unseat the defending Olympic champion Yuna Kim.
:laugh: That would be really the most surprising sport event ever! :popcorn:

aftertherain

Record Breaker

And I would just like to say that Yuna Kim has never beaten four (Gracie, Liza, Julia, Adelina) out of the nine other ladies on this list. And she has never beaten Kaetlyn Osmond. :biggrin:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'd narrow the list down to 7: Yu-Na, Mao, Kostner, Tukt, Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, and Gold.

Akiko and Murakami both DESERVE to be on this list (and they are certainly contenders for medals) but the judges almost never give either of these wonderful Japanese ladies the scores they deserve, so I don't think they have any chance at Gold.

Wagner does not deserve to be on the list, and won't be in contention for Gold, unless she starts consistently doing the 3-3 in the SP. She hasn't actually ever done a clean 3Flip-3Toe in competition.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
ah yes, she just dyed her hair, lol
Julia I think is not blonde also, maybe wheatish hair

Julia's hair is light brown.
Ashley had medium brown hair that she dyed a goldish blonde color.
Looking at her roots I would guess Gracie's natural hair color is a medium to dark brown. Also she has brown eyes. I doubt she's a natural blonde.

Also, Kanako I really don't think is in the mix for OGM given her UR issues and Akiko I really doubt could win either. Medal maybe, but she's mistake prone and will be almost 30 by then. Plus if Miki comes back one of them might not even be on the team so...

lavender

Record Breaker
After witnessing this weekend's outcome and how favs aren't exactly guaranteed I'll wait til after all the Nationals are completed next season.

Only Yu na and Caroline are probably guaranteed a spot as long as no injuries come up

Last edited:

ForeverFish

Medalist
Is Gold's hair really golden? Her sister has dark brown hair.

I know that she highlights her hair blonde, so I'm pretty sure that she's closer to a natural brunette. And anyway, Carly and Gracie are fraternal twins.

guanchi

On the Ice
^ A picture of the US ladies medalist for reference here. Lipstick also seems to be in.

I guess blond ambition is in:laugh:

Just looking at that photo, with Ashley surrounded by a bunch of hungry, big jumping tigresses, no matter how raw and wild they may be, is that she's gonna need some big lutz (a true lutz), or 3-3 combo to compete with them in the future. Sochi may be her best and only chance to be the no.1 US lady.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The answer is easy. Kaetlyn Osmond. :laugh: No seriously, you asked which lady has the best chance of winning OGM. As it stands, Team Canada has the best chance of winning the OGM in Sochi for the Figure Skating Team Event. Given that Osmond is the only lady from Canada with qualifying scores so far, it has to be her. With two World Champions in 2 of the 4 disciplines (including a current OGM in Ice Dance), two World podium worthy couples in Pairs, adding Osmond herself would pretty much ensure Canada is the overwhelming favorite for Gold in the Team Event, thus ensuring that Osmond is the most likely OGM for ladies. :p

The Olympics are in RUSSIA. Russia has just as good a chance -- or maybe better -- than Canada for winning the team event.

Some would ask, why not Russia? Well, if Russia actually has a man who can compete, yeah, maybe but as it stands, Russia has no man (real competitive man), cannot beat Canada in Ice Dance, not even sure to beat Canada in ladies and Pairs may end up winning by only one spot or two - the probability of Russia taking Gold is not good at this point. So yeah, this is the easiest question ever. :laugh:

Kovtun is looking better and better, while Chan is looking worse and worse. Russia will have 3 tough ladies (Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaia) while Canada will have Osmond and an also-ran (if Kaetlyn can place top 10 at Worlds). Duhamel/Radford are no match for Volosozhar/Trankov.

All the Osmond hype reminds me of similar hype about Mao in 2006, with all the whining about her age keeping her out of the Olympics. Only Mao was JW Champion, JGPF Champion and GPF Champion, while Kaetlyn has a Senior B gold and a GP gold and that's all so far. Osmond is good and has a great future, but she has to prove herself against the best in the world. She ain't soup yet.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia's hair is light brown.

Looking at her roots I would guess Gracie's natural hair color is a medium to dark brown. Also she has brown eyes. I doubt she's a natural blonde.

Eye color isn't necessarily a determinant of hair color. My sister is a natural blonde and she has brown eyes.