And then there were 10... (ladies) | Golden Skate

And then there were 10... (ladies)

Reginald

Match Penalty
At the beginning of this quad, 100s of skaters dreamed of being the Olympic champion in Sochi.

Now only 10 skaters have a realistic chance of winning an OGM in 2014.

(In no particular order)

Gracie Gold
Ashley Wagner
Akiko Suzuki
Kanako Murakami
Mao Asada
Yu-Na Kim
Carolina Kostner
Julia Lipnitskaia
Adelina Sotnikova
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

Who. Will. Win?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Actually, I think Patrick Chan, Javier Fernandez, Yuzuru Hanyu and Daisuke Takahashi all have a good chance of winning. Also Volosozhar/Trankov and Savchenko/Szolkowy. And Davis/White and Virtue/Moir.

Which is to say: I wish that when posting a thread focused only on the ladies (or any other discipline), people will note that it is indeed discipline-specific.

As for your list, I disagree. It's probably Yuna vs. Carolina and some of the young Russians. Wagner, Asada and Suzuki are medal candidates, but unlikely to win it all. Murakami and Gold have no chance unless it's a splatfest.

guanchi

On the Ice
I'd take Kanako out of there and put in Kaetlyn- jeez with those 2 massive threads about her, how could you possibly forget haha! (not that they both realistically have a chance, but I think Kaetlyn has a better chance at this point)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
mmmMiraiiii? :slink:

:scratch: oh yeah I forgot it is not March 2010 anymore. :scowl:

The list looks about right. Imo Kanako is far better candidate than Kaetlyn, she at least is a junior world champion and have to face with the likes of Akiko, Mao, Miki at home. Underrated based on what i can see. Need refinement and polish, perhaps learn to skate slower with pacing like Carolina can help her a great deal. Not sure about OGM as long as Japan is fully backing Mao as part of their 4 year plan. The power that be have done enough to change the rules in her favour already, to give up now would seems bit of a waste.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I dunno, it's just my opinion but I think Kanako and Akiko are not formiddable forces to be reckoned with in Sochi...Just my subjective opinion! And I think Osmond will have a say in it..so she should be on this list)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Kanako has a chance
but i think Akiko is waning down a bit, and age is not on her side

out of the new girls, Julia if injury free by next season should really make a standout
shame that this season she had 3 injuries, she was not able to give everything but I hope to see her soon

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We don't even know if all those skaters will even make it to the Olympics.

guanchi

On the Ice
I would take Kanako and Suzuki off that list- they are getting no favors from the judges.
That leaves the 4 blondes- Ashley, Gracie, Julia, Carolina- vs the 4 non-blondes - Yuna, Mao, Liza, and Adelina.
So will it be a blonde or non-blonde, that is the important question:biggrin:

jamie

On the Ice
At the beginning of this quad, 100s of skaters dreamed of being the Olympic champion in Sochi.

(In no particular order)

Gracie Gold
Ashley Wagner
Akiko Suzuki
Kanako Murakami
Mao Asada
Yu-Na Kim
Carolina Kostner
Julia Lipnitskaia
Adelina Sotnikova
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

Who. Will. Win?

I would agree that all of those ladies have a shot at a medal, but really, only a clutch of them have the chance at gold.
Potential Gold medalists are: Kim, Kostner, Sotnikova, Tuk and to a lesser degree, Asada.

Outside shot at a bronze medal: Russian #3, Wagner, Suzuki, Korpi.......Gold/Osmond

Let us see how worlds pan out!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes, I don't think that kanako has any opportunity of becoming the olympic champion, maybe a medal, just if a lot of the top skaters bomb, but not winning; yes, this list with Kaetlyn instead of Kanako would be really correct... Sochi 2014 will be a bloody battle in Ladies!!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I would take Kanako and Suzuki off that list- they are getting no favors from the judges.
That leaves the 4 blondes- Ashley, Gracie, Julia, Carolina- vs the 4 non-blondes - Yuna, Mao, Liza, and Adelina.
So will it be a blonde or non-blonde, that is the important question:biggrin:

Ashley's definitely not a blonde. So much for your symmetry. :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
Actually, I think Patrick Chan, Javier Fernandez, Yuzuru Hanyu and Daisuke Takahashi all have a good chance of winning. Also Volosozhar/Trankov and Savchenko/Szolkowy. And Davis/White and Virtue/Moir.

Which is to say: I wish that when posting a thread focused only on the ladies (or any other discipline), people will note that it is indeed discipline-specific.

As for your list, I disagree. It's probably Yuna vs. Carolina and some of the young Russians. Wagner, Asada and Suzuki are medal candidates, but unlikely to win it all. Murakami and Gold have no chance unless it's a splatfest.

Was thinking the same thing only I'd throw Asada in the mix for gold. At least she has the potential.

I think it will be much easier to respond to this thread after worlds. Then we'll see what really going on with Yuna and how the Russians fare and Carolina. Ashley and Gracie have to be smashing to move up to OGM gold medal potential status.

willdu

On the Ice
I still think it's too early to judge for anyone. With injuries and sudden reversals in fate, you never know. For example, at 2009 nationals no one would've guessed that Mirai would've done so well at the Olympics. Even throughout her GP season in 2010 before the Olympics she wasn't ready. I'm not saying that Mirai is going to be the next OGM because it's unlikely. But I think there are still many skaters that could surprise us.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Ill go out on a limb and say that I think next season will surprise us all and the OGM will be win by someone that none of us expected!

wallylutz

Medalist

(In no particular order)

Gracie Gold
Ashley Wagner
Akiko Suzuki
Kanako Murakami
Mao Asada
Yu-Na Kim
Carolina Kostner
Julia Lipnitskaia
Adelina Sotnikova
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

Who. Will. Win?

The answer is easy. Kaetlyn Osmond. :laugh: No seriously, you asked which lady has the best chance of winning OGM. As it stands, Team Canada has the best chance of winning the OGM in Sochi for the Figure Skating Team Event. Given that Osmond is the only lady from Canada with qualifying scores so far, it has to be her. With two World Champions in 2 of the 4 disciplines (including a current OGM in Ice Dance), two World podium worthy couples in Pairs, adding Osmond herself would pretty much ensure Canada is the overwhelming favorite for Gold in the Team Event, thus ensuring that Osmond is the most likely OGM for ladies. :p

Some would ask, why not Russia? Well, if Russia actually has a man who can compete, yeah, maybe but as it stands, Russia has no man (real competitive man), cannot beat Canada in Ice Dance, not even sure to beat Canada in ladies and Pairs may end up winning by only one spot or two - the probability of Russia taking Gold is not good at this point. So yeah, this is the easiest question ever. :laugh:

Krislite

Medalist

(In no particular order)

Gracie Gold
Ashley Wagner
Akiko Suzuki
Kanako Murakami
Mao Asada
Yu-Na Kim
Carolina Kostner
Julia Lipnitskaia
Adelina Sotnikova
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

Who. Will. Win?

I don't want to jinx any one's chances, so I'll go out on a limb here and say Rachel Flatt will win the OGM. Just watch--she'll stage a last-minute comeback and unseat the defending Olympic champion Yuna Kim.