2013 US Nationals Senior Men LP | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Men LP

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@MaxTAaron
Thank you Omaha! What an amazing week! Words cannot express how grateful I am for all the support EVERYONE has given me! #DREAMSDOCOMETRUE
6:02 PM - 28 Jan 13​

:bow: :yay:

I've been looking for Aaron's FS several times with high hope to see brilliant skating, but really disappointed. What kind of choreography was that, especially after both 4Ss. It looked like he totally forgot what he needed to do and just walk around after the first, and looked like cleaning/rubbing his nose after the second.

Naw, after the second quad where he is standing there doing nothing he is "being a Jet." The next time he is "making our hearts, one heart." :yes:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Max apparently has "chola" eyebrows, so are we sure he's supposed to be a jet and not a shark?? :p:laugh:
And realistically Josh and Jason likely haven't given up on trying to skate as well as possible leading up to Sochi and hope to make the team, they just aren't being vocal about it and won't put up a stink about being sent to junior events because they are too polite and well-mannered, and are young enough for juniors, and also realize there's about 8 guys gunning for the 2014 team so it's anyone's game anyways. Further, acting entitled and cocky at 18 is not going to get them any fans or favors from the judges so I'm just happy to see them enjoying themselves and being happy with their accomplishments. I think most people agree Josh deserved to be 3rd, arguably 2nd, here, but he was thrilled with his scores and placement regardless which shows he and his team have his head screwed on straight and thank goodness for that. Also, Jason didn't make excuses for his mistakes and acknowledged that going for two 3a in his FS is new so he's just happy he went for both of them and landed one in combination, and that he knows the process takes awhile. They are classy guys and even if they are sort of accepting that USFS wants them to "wait their turn" and that irks some fans, it shows good perspective on their part.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Who is Alexander?? He is pretty amazing! I saw that he is 23, is he just popping into seniors this year? He is going to go far he is strong technically and artistically, he has such great flow over the ice.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
really good skating. I am happy for Max though I am not sure how he will do internationally. I wonder really how reasonable was it to think Evan would have been competitive in 3 weeks or even 6. this will be exciting. USA is sending two men with little commercial appeal so far; while many sport enthusiasts wil have heard of Weir, Abbott and Lysacek I think Miner will be a stretch and Aaron a bigger stretch unless you are a skating enthusiast - and a true enthusiast. But let their skating speak - I do think Max is vulnerable. He could skate like this but I am not sure his pcs won't be crushed. I actually, gulp think Canada's no. 2 man was better this year - Reynolds despite bad hair.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Congratulations to Aaron for his win!!! WOW, what a wonderful jumper he is.... In my opinion if one has this kind of jumping ability, the PCS can be built upon it with more training and with the help of an excellent choreography, etc. After all Aaron is still rather young, isn´t he? He can still develop in many areas. It also seems that he has a good body type to look pleasing to the eye on the ice, and that helps a lot. He is no Elvis Stojko....

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
- so happy that Jason Brown had a relatively good competition. That's one more 3A he's landed...and the sky's the limit as long as he gets the jumps
- LOVE Josh Farris...goodness, if he continues to do what he does, Jason gets his jumps, and Max develops his artistry, the US will have quite a formidable trio next post-2014...

Just out of interest, here is a rather familiar-looking podium...

2010 US National Championships: Junior Men

1. Jason Brown 195.22
2. Joshua Farris 195.03
3. Max Aaron 191.86
(4. Scott Dyer 178.49)

Did Farris leave Tom after he broke his foot?

Yes, he did. Thank goodness for that. He's become a much better skater, IMO. And funnily enough, hasn't been injured since...while getting injured before was an annual event...

Next season I'd like to see him work with a more known choreographer and maybe try a new type of music for one of his programs to see if he has it in him to become a little less white bread.

While I agree with you on the music genre - I'd love to see him do something other than classical next season - I feel like currently the choreography is part of his development. It was almost like Damon Allen's decision to allow Josh to choreograph parts of his own programs skyrocketed Josh's artistic growth. Parts of Clair de Lune, parts of the original Rach LP, and almost all of the Bach SP are Josh's, not Damon's.

They are classy guys and even if they are sort of accepting that USFS wants them to "wait their turn" and that irks some fans, it shows good perspective on their part.

If the USFSA was smart, they'd market the hell out of these guys in a couple of years. How good does it look for the sport to have these two young enormous talents who are so level-headed and well-grounded? There's nothing diva-ish or snarky about them, heck, they have a great rivalry on ice and are good friends off it. It's a PR goldmine.

Icey

Record Breaker
For what it's worth, Javier Fernandez landed THREE QUADS in his free skate (one in combo with a 3T!) this weekend at European's. He won the title. The USFSA knew they couldn't send Abbott to World's.

And the silver and bronze medalist, both landed two quads in their free program.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
the American men will find it tough to eat Javier - can anyone really touch him if he lands the axel and three quads? Poor Chan must be thinking he should retire; no one can compete with that really.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
the American men will find it tough to eat Javier - can anyone really touch him if he lands the axel and three quads? Poor Chan must be thinking he should retire; no one can compete with that really.

Chan has way superior skating skills compared to Javier and if Chan lands his quads it won't even be close.

noskates

Record Breaker
I got lost in uTube land yesterday and came across a Jason Brown performance to MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This!" I swear I watched it more than several times. It's a different Jason than we're used to seeing and the boy.can.dance! So much talent, so much musicallity and so much personality on the ice. I think it was from Evening with Champions or some such program last September. (wait, I'll go find it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE4FNDys1Tk

Anyway, I just think it shows the depth this young man has. I like that his coach and the USFSA isn't rushing him into anything. Get the 3A down, get a quad, and add that performance capability and we'll definitely have a winner. When you look at Jason's performances (this cute silly one plus competition) and you look at Aaron's performance (yes he has the jumps) there is no comparison in my mind for the future! JMO of course.

loveskating

Rinkside
To me, Aaron's program popped and Miner's didn't. I don't know about ticking off CoP bullets on the PCS side, but Aaron's performance held my interest for four-and-a-half minutes. :rock:

I am not worried about Worlds. Go, skate, what happens happens.
I thought Minor did a superb job and he is really loving what he is doing. But I spotted Max right away during practices, and I predicted he is going to win. His athletic ability and dorkines when he skates, is something I realy found exiting! Also Alexander was amazing to watch! Like you , I am not worried about worlds! I thought the judges did a great job in the senior level! Just great.

SkateNater

Match Penalty
I've been looking for Aaron's FS several times with high hope to see brilliant skating, but really disappointed. What kind of choreography was that, especially after both 4Ss. It looked like he totally forgot what he needed to do and just walk around after the first, and looked like cleaning/rubbing his nose after the second. I would guess that he would not get 7s for PCS in international competition. Good jumps, yes, but that's about it.

Really like Alexander Johnson, first time watching his skating and an instant fan.

Sad for Jeremy but I too guess he has used up his rep quota.

Never a fan of Russ Miner but he did skate with aboundance, well deserved silver if not gold. All in all good competition.

It's very important that people understand how PCS is judged. I see "he/she would not get # internationally" too much. There are ISU videos on YouTube and I implore anyone who wants to toss around numbers to watch them and understand that just because your skating skills suck doesn't mean you're going to get the same low scores on every other PCS score. PCS is comprised of something like 5 scores. Only One of them is Choreography and only One of them is Skating Skills.

Max Aaron's program is tactically laid out. He wastes a lot of time in the first half and then does a clinic of triple jumps in the second half. All of those jumps get Base * 10% value.

Obviously, his coaches and choreographer knows he will not pulling huge PCS scores, and so they have constructed a program that negates a bit of that. That's smart, and that's why he won the gold. If his program was front loaded he'd have likely loss to Miner, similar to how Plushenko loss to Lysacek in Vancouver (a result I don't feel like debating yet again :p ).

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I'm assuming you mean Mirai, and--not to turn this thread into a discussion about the ladies--she wasn't "dragged" from the Kiss & Cry. If you watch the video of her reaction, she very gracefully stood and exited the arena through the tunnel.

There was nothing graceful about it. You could distinctly hear Wendy Olson telling her to get up: "Right now, Mirai." The same way you would tell a 3-year-old. Mirai then stalked off through the tunnel, leaving her coaches behind.

rkuang

Rinkside
I can't say I blame her though. Granted, she's known for her strong personality, but it really is heartbreaking to see someone work so hard to come back from a career low and place the same rank as the year before. I'd say that's warranted, I just hated the way cameramen focus on the "drama shots" like that.

Welcome, SkaterNater! Thanks for joining us.

It's very important that people understand how PCS is judged...just because your skating skills suck doesn't mean you're going to get the same low scores on every other PCS score.

Except that you will. Whatever you get on skating skills, multiply that by ten and you've got your total PCS.

Aaron: SS 8.07, PCS 79.48
Miner: SS 8.54, PCS 84.22
Abbott: SS 8.82, PCS 88.20 (!)
Ferris: SS 7.71, PCS 78.92
Johnson: 7.54. PCS 77.94 (This is the biggest exception. Johnson's presentation was markedly superior to his skating skills.)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Welcome, SkaterNater! Thanks for joining us.

Except that you will. Whatever you get on skating skills, multiply that by ten and you've got your total PCS.

Aaron: SS 8.07, PCS 79.48
Miner: SS 8.54, PCS 84.22
Abbott: SS 8.82, PCS 88.20 (!)
Ferris: SS 7.71, PCS 78.92
Johnson: 7.54. PCS 77.94 (This is the biggest exception. Johnson's presentation was markedly superior to his skating skills.)

Whoa. Very interesting. Does that just hold true for US skaters or does it hold for other skaters/national championships/world events as well?