2013 US Nationals Senior Men LP | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Men LP

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Jason is 18 and just getting a triple axel? Amazing. Just getting a quad, maybe ok, but not a 3a.

It's only a year later than Patrick Chan got his Triple Axel...Jason Brown coming along just fine to potentially peak in 2018. He has qualities that are the best in the World. His performance at 2011 Nationals is one of the best ever in terms of everything outside of the jumps (and the jumps themselves were fabulous too, even if Lutz was his most difficult jump). Perhaps you've not seen it? Definitely needs to be seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94pHGvq3Fs

Eislauf

On the Ice
Abbott needs to go work with Krall for awhile and he needs to get a good therapist. Sato has even said that fear is a factor in his quad problems. However, I fear he has used up his chances both at home and internationally. Even if the us is able to get three spots for the Olympics, a big "if", he will have a difficult time probably in making the Olympic team. The other men are not standing still waiting for him to get it together. His face is beginning to get covered with their dust.

True. Jeremy is falling behind on a technical level and seems to be a bit of a head case: punching his forehead repeatedly with his fist right after he finished his program? the slow, lethargic, depressing tone of his program? pouting backstage in public like a sullen child instead of a 28 yr old international elite skater who should by now have learned the importance of good sportsmanship and accepting a bad skate with class and dignity like Michelle Kwan? I hope he can find a good therapist to help him with all his issues.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason is 18 and just getting a triple axel? Amazing. Just getting a quad, maybe ok, but not a 3a.

Huh?

If he was twenty or something and only just getting it, I could see the problem, but nothing wrong with him landing a 3A at 18.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I woke up at 3am(!) to watch US Mens Free live thru J-Sports this morning. at 7am I got back to my bed until noon, did some household and here I am! :laugh:

Fisrtly, many many thanks and claps to all skaters from me for such an exciting competition!
:jaw: to Aaron's huuuge jumps!
:clap: to Miner for not cracking under pressure. Clearly could have been the new champion if not popping the second 3A.
:love: Alexander Johnson!!! Who is he? How emotional he and his coach got after the performance was so priceless! Hope he will be picked up at SA next season.
:cry: Keegan, Armin, Jeremy...I often feel for skaters with a depth of talents in their own countries; such as US, Russia and Japan. But if they can't bring their A-game and deliver it when counts, they can't do that at the Worlds/Olympics either.

babyskate

On the Ice
It's only a year later than Patrick Chan got his Triple Axel...Jason Brown coming along just fine to potentially peak in 2018. He has qualities that are the best in the World. His performance at 2011 Nationals is one of the best ever in terms of everything outside of the jumps (and the jumps themselves were fabulous too, even if Lutz was his most difficult jump). Perhaps you've not seen it? Definitely needs to be seen:

The judges have always seen that in him. That is how with 2 falls he still finished in 8th place. The triple axel is hard. Many of the older competitors in this field do not have one. Only a handful of skaters in the world can consistently do a triple axel. Fans have a skewed view as we spend so much time watching the super elite skaters who make it look so easy. Jason is so ready to join that group very soon. He has natural talent and a good head on his shoulder. I feel he is a competitor who will always look at the big picture and learn from mistakes with a positive outlook. There is a reason why there is a lot of excitement surrounding him.

bekalc

Record Breaker

And Patrick Chan has never been all that steady with the 3axel..... As well as not to mention, Patrick was attempting the 3axel in competition at 16... Its kind of like a woman not having the 3lutz by a certain age, maybe it will happen but its hardly a good sign...

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well that was quite a Men's competition, lots of surprises for sure.

Congrats to Max! He out-jumped everyone to the National title, but his actual skating lets just say maybe it will grow on me.

I am happy for Ross he gave quite a performance to win the Silver!

Tough break for Jeremy not making the World Team but that is Sport if you don't keep up you will be left behind in the dust.

I was very impressed with Joshua F. I thought he was just super!

I also enjoyed Alexander Johnson and Jason Brown's performances.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for highlighting Alex Johnson. Loved his performance, his carriage and expressiveness.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm really high on Jason Brown. I think he has alot of charisma, alot of talent, and watch out for him next year. He connects with the audience better than most and he seems to really, really enjoy being out there on the ice. Congratulations to a somewhat "changing of the guard" but I honestly don't think we have a chance in hell of placing a US man in the top 10 at Worlds this year. Max did out-jump everyone but the rest of his skating is really lacking. Even if he skates clean he's going to lose big points on presentation against the Japanese, Fernandes and maybe even Brian Joubert. Watching Ross Miner skate to me is like watching paint dry. There's just no "it" factor there although he definitely has talent. Jeremy. I said a few days ago that he needs to skate on the ice instead of in his head. SO much talent and ability and his biggest problem is between his ears. I don't know if a therapist and a different coach would really help him at this age. His program was beautiful, should have wiped everyone else off the board but doubling 2 triples (or was it 3?) that are normally quite easy for him - there's just no excuse. Not at this stage of his career. And does he even enjoy skating anymore or is it just "his job?" I really do wish Max and Ross luck at Worlds - just have some serious doubts to the outcome.

rocketry

Rinkside
Ross Miner's program isn't as charming and character driven as last years, but I really feel like he made a conscious effort to add more transitions and content and deserves credit for that. He does a lot of it on one foot which I find refreshing. It certainly looks good next to Max Aaron's skating in the corner and doing cross overs from element to element.

lavender

Record Breaker
I tried to watch Max Aaron but couldn't finish watching it. It was so boring.... It was like watching the Canadian skater who look like Rachel Flatt.

I couldn't finish either. Sorry you have to have more than the jumps. There are plenty of men who have quads on the international scene but don't make an impact because they don't have the whole package but I don't know if usfsa cares how they do on the international scene. I guess they are putting all their cards on Davis and White.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

But his goal is 2018. That's 5 years away. If he was trying to make the Sochi team, I'd be like, yeah, with just getting the 3a at 18 and not trying the quad in competition yet, that is a little concerning. But he's not trying to go to Sochi and 5 years is an awful long time, so it doesn't really matter what his age is, more than he has the time to get his technical to where it needs to be by 2018, and he certainly does. Bear in mind how far skaters can come in just a few seasons, Javi, Michal, and Flo weren't churning out quads like they are now at 18, and there scores and placements at that age were nothing to write home about either, but now look where they are now just a few years later. Maybe Jason never will have the difficult tech down solid, but he very well could and there is no reason to worry about it NOW, come back in 3 or 4 years and then we can reevaluate it.

MasterB

Final Flight
Now that the dust has settled. My Thoughts!

Armin - What is going on? I think he is so talented but, something has to happen fast or he will get lost in the dust

Johnson - Thank you for skating one of the most interesting FP of the competition. His work has paid off. Now go get a quad.

Razzano - Give it at least one more try before moving on.

Adam - You needed this program during the GP. It appears that the judges have giving up hope. I did not like that outfit it gives the body line a weird look. I liked the simple one he wore in the GP.

Brown - many people like, uh.. love you. Glad that you went for the two triple axels.

Jeremy - you have no one to blame but, yourself. By far one of the best skaters in the world.

Ross - steady ross. No one's favorite but, you sure are a strong competitor.

Farris - after that disaster two years ago, you are a true champion. I don't think that Zandra is right. He should fight for Sochi not 2018.

Max - WOW, you sure can jump and you showed us how. PLease do the same at worlds.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Alex Johnson's FS is finally up on Youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1AI1fXdiE

I think I'm in love!

Lovely performance. I saw the protocols and was like 3Z-1/2L-3F?! Beautiful deep edges, fluid hands, and excellent interpretation (even looked like a Beatle! :p). His skating skills and transitions scores deserved to be much higher. Too bad about the SP, otherwise he could have even made the national team. But definitely one to watch.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Okay they really need to send Alexander Johnson on some gp assignments. Give this guy some exposure. Seriously why wasn't his long scored higher. Is he slow in person or something.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Now that the dust has settled. My Thoughts!

Armin - What is going on? I think he is so talented but, something has to happen fast or he will get lost in the dust

Johnson - Thank you for skating one of the most interesting FP of the competition. His work has paid off. Now go get a quad.

Razzano - Give it at least one more try before moving on.

Adam - You needed this program during the GP. It appears that the judges have giving up hope. I did not like that outfit it gives the body line a weird look. I liked the simple one he wore in the GP.

Brown - many people like, uh.. love you. Glad that you went for the two triple axels.

Jeremy - you have no one to blame but, yourself. By far one of the best skaters in the world.

Ross - steady ross. No one's favorite but, you sure are a strong competitor.

Farris - after that disaster two years ago, you are a true champion. I don't think that Zandra is right. He should fight for Sochi not 2018.

Max - WOW, you sure can jump and you showed us how. PLease do the same at worlds.

It's really too bad the US men don't have a third spot for the world team. Evan Lysacek was third at 2009 Nationals, and we all know what happened a couple months later at Worlds...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I suspect that it's because of previous results at nationals (17th, 16th, 15th) that USFS is wondering if this was a one-off competition for him. I didn't realise it was his 4th year in seniors. But excellent result for him. I'm thinking if his consistency develops then next year he has a chance for GP spots, but the guy will be 23 by then, so it's hard to say how many more seasons he'll have in him. It sucks though because clearly he's developed his artistry in the past 4 years as a senior, but I guess inconsistent jumping has held him back.

Rippon going to 4CC is ridiculous. I love his skating but there are plenty of others who deserve that spot more.