2013 US Nationals Senior Men LP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Men LP

Sorry there'll be no Jesus to help out, so get ready for only one spot in Sochi. ;P

Beautiful performance from Alexander Johnson! I really hope this lands him some international assignments next season.

ks777

Record Breaker
I tried to watch Max Aaron but couldn't finish watching it. It was so boring.... It was like watching the Canadian skater who look like Rachel Flatt.

Also, Aaron should have received the mandatory 10 points eyebrow deduction, thus removing him from the podium.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also, Aaron should have received the mandatory 10 points eyebrow deduction, thus removing him from the podium.

What's wrong with the eyebrows? I think he's even kind of cute.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
I just think it's funny that he looks like Mickey Mouse but has a pretty deep voice, lol. I was so surprised when I listened to his interview. He's cute, though. And I enjoyed his enthusiasm for skating.

A bit cruel to make fun of someone's appearance. He skated well, that's all that should matter for us here.

It's cruel if it's some innate or acquired feature that a person has no control over and that they can't change.

A size and shape of somebody's eyebrows is something people have total control over, hence I am allowing myself to make a bitchy comment about it. ;P

Especially given he's very handsome anyway. :)

As for the "skated well" part, it depends how you define "well". I guess he did land his jumps all right. :p

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Not sure why they didn't see fit to send Josh to 4CCs. Why not give him a little international experience at the top level? He could still go to JW after.

I wouldn't be surprised if with both Josh and Courtney, they were offered 4CC or JW, not given the option of both, and both of them picked JW. Seems reasonable enough. I think either would have been given a 4CCs birth if that was what they wanted. 4CCs and JW are not that far apart in terms of time, and they'd have to train 2 different versions of their free programs for the two events, not to mention the possibility of competition fatigue (especially for Josh who competed at the JGPF in December). I understand why, if they weren't offered both, Josh and Courtney would chose JW over 4CC.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Hopefully Johnson gets the host pick at SA next season. I feel like he will unless someone like Josh, Jason, Max, or Ricky would need it to get a 2nd GP spot. They likely have a good chance at getting 2 assignments off the bat though, at least I hope so.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Alex Johnson's FS is finally up on Youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1AI1fXdiE

I think I'm in love!

Truly a wonderful performance. THIS is how you use music. Triple Lutz, half loop, Triple Flip combination...SO cool and the first time it's ever been done in competition, I think. Of course, doing a really difficult jump combination like that doesn't get any extra bonus in this scoring system. *sigh*

This program is also further proof of how brilliant Tom Dickson is.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
As for the results of this competition:

Let me preface by saying I loved Ross Miner in 2011 and I think he was underscored that year. What he did at 2011 Worlds is still the best performance of his career, IMO.

It was cool to see him do the best Quad of his career in this performance at Nationals, but since he completely popped a Triple Axel it doesn't mean anything in terms of the overall points. After that mistake the quality of his jumps for the rest of the program was just average. His performance was solid all-around but not particularly great. The choreography wasn't as effective as his 2011 program, his own performance was not as focused, and he did less here in terms of transitions.

So, sadly, I have to say that I think Ross Miner deserved to place 4th overall (I'd actually have him 5th in the LP and 4th in the SP...Max Aaron and Joshua Farris were both better than him in the SP, as they were in the LP, but they got a bit held down there for being newcomers). I'd like to see him become less stiff with his body in the future. He is someone who has good musicality but doesn't always translate it because of his movements being a bit stilted.

I would have put Joshua Farris 3rd overall (4th in the LP and 3rd in the LP). He is kind of the opposite of Ross Miner right now in terms of style...he DOES have good fluidity in his body, but his movements don't actually do much with the music a lot of the time. He could also project a bit more. I would put him ahead in terms of transitions, although on the whole I'd put his PCS a couple points lower than Miner's. Where Farris pulls ahead overall for me is the jumps. The fall he had on the Quad is less detrimental than the pop Miner had on his Triple Axel and Farris had an overall better quality of jumps.

I would have Jeremy Abbott in 2nd overall (3rd in the LP and 1st in the SP) because the quality he had in terms of PCS was the class of the field. I do NOT find it correct that he was only ahead of Ross Miner by 4 points on PCS. His program and performance were worth more than what he lost from doubling out on two of lesser triples in the program.

Icey

Record Breaker
Abbott needs to go work with Krall for awhile and he needs to get a good therapist. Sato has even said that fear is a factor in his quad problems. However, I fear he has used up his chances both at home and internationally. Even if the us is able to get three spots for the Olympics, a big "if", he will have a difficult time probably in making the Olympic team. The other men are not standing still waiting for him to get it together. His face is beginning to get covered with their dust.