2013 US Nationals Senior Men LP | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Men LP

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Let's face it, Jeremy would not win a medal at World's. He cannot do a quad lately (though he has in the past). Max had the best long program of the night and unlike Gracie, didn't bomb in the short. Ross was excellent, too, and he will go to World's. I agree he may do better than Max. We'll see how Max does with pressure on him. Tonight there was none.

These boys will get some international exposure, and Max will have a year to work on whatever weaknesses he has in "interpreting the music" by looking miserable and wringing his hands. He could be a contender for a medal in 2018, as could Ross. None of these guys were about to win in Sochi.

Oreo

On the Ice
I'll always be a Jeremy fan. He is an exquisite artist and that's why I enjoy watching him.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Maybe if Jeremy had placed as high as Ashley did at Worlds last year, he may have had special treatment. But you just can't count on him to perform at the highest competitive standards. The US may just as well have Max and Ross, I don't think it makes a difference really.

xzchief

Rinkside
So what are the chances that we could end up with only 1 spot for Sochi?

Small. I suppose it's possible that Max Aaron completely flops on the world stage and places 18th while Miner finishes 11th like he did during his previous Worlds appearance. That combined total of 29 would equal one place at Sochi. However, I doubt they'll do quite so poorly.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You know, I'm OK with this result. I guess I'm in the minority here. Aaron took care of business in TES.

I agree that his PCS was a bit high and he has a lot of work to do in the choreography/performing aspect but he actually has OK skating skills and he has a ton of speed, something that Ryan Bradley didn't.

The thing Aaron has going for him is consistency. He's a dark horse because he is consistent with his jumps. The fact is that Jeremy would have won if he didn't risk the quad and did a clean program, but he took that risk.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm happy with the results based on the performances. I agree Max will not get these kind of marks at Worlds, but he is the future of our sport. We might as well give someone like him competitive experience on the big stage rather than holding up skaters who don't have the competitive nerve to perform world-class difficulty. I do feel bad for Jeremy but he was just so slow out there today for most of his program. He really looked like he just didn't want to make any big mistakes.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeremy's problem is the quad. He doesn't have one. By opening with a certain fall he throws the whole program off. Leave off the quad, J., and instead concentrate on not doubling your triples.

This is Jeremy's real problem this season. He has been doubling out way too much this season. I've never known him to do that until this season where he confusingly has come down with popitis.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Can you be more specific?

ETA: I don't agree with the judges that Aaron's PCS should be higher than Farris's or Rippon's, or Brown's. That is definitely very wrong.

Well, you posted exactly what made my left eyebrow go on its upward journey. Max skated very well and deserved a very high TES, but there is no way he is going to get a single 9, 8 or even high 7s in PCS internationally. Not even if he lands 8 quads. No way. This is Ryan Bradley at 2011 Nationals all over again.

Last edited:

Dots

Final Flight
I thought josh should have been 2nd or 3rd....Ross and Max are going to get eaten up at worlds. So upset for Jeremy...honestly a coaching change might do him good.

We really needed a skater like Jeremy to do well, but since he blew it...

Ross has some international cred. and next in line. I see nothing wrong with him going? :confused:

Max is a question mark, but not a bad pick. The truth is that the US needed a strong anchor to get three spots for the Olympics, but Jeremy left no other choice. The US no longer should think about three spots, just do a respectable showing.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, you posted exactly what made my left eyebrow go on its upward journey. Max skated very well and deserved a very high TES, but there is no way he is going to get a single 8 or even high 7s in PCS internationally. Not even if he lands 8 quads. No way. This is Ryan Bradley at 2011 Nationals all over again.

But unlike Ryan Bradley, Max Aaron delivered. Bradley actually skated a very flawed FS and won on the strength of his SP. Max only made one error in spinning out of the 3A in the FS and did two very solid programs.

I bet Ross will be hitting himself on the head for missing that 3A. But he seem like he was a good sport -- I think he's happy he's going to Worlds.

noidont

Final Flight
Hate to say this, Max Aaron needs to get a Morozov program. Basically the only kind he is going to be comfortable with that also hides his weaknesses.
Farris deserved second.
Seriously what's with the costumes? Aaron and Dornbush both looked like they were walking out of a workout gym. Jeremy's shirt needed ironing, unless wrinkly was the look he was going for...color of that shirt was awful too. Fashion-wise, US men are so much shabbier than Euro guys....

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Wow!!! What a competition!!!

I'm watching the medal ceremony on Ice Network. Jeremy went to congratulate Max & Ross. I think he said, pointing to both of them, 'go get those 3 spots at Worlds!!!' :yay::yay:

heyhey

On the Ice
Question for you guys - if consistency is what you are looking for - would you rather have Evan back for Sochi - with triples for the team event?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
USFS should be announcing mens and womens teams within the next few hours, for 4CC, Worlds, Jr. Worlds. Wonder if we will see any surprises....

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
But unlike Ryan Bradley, Max Aaron delivered. Bradley actually skated a very flawed FS and won on the strength of his SP. Max only made one error in spinning out of the 3A in the FS and did two very solid programs.

I bet Ross will be hitting himself on the head for missing that 3A. But he seem like he was a good sport -- I think he's happy he's going to Worlds.

But what did he deliver exactly that earned him 79 for program component scores? According to this group of judges, Jeremy is about 1 point per component better than Max Aaron.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Good news: Jason Brown's first 3A was ratified (though the 3T was called UR). :party:

evangeline

Record Breaker

Yes, but my point is that both Max's and Ryan's PCS were inflated beyond all sense.

But...whatever. What's done is done. Let the chips fall where they may at Worlds. Congratulations to Max and I hope he performs as well as he did tonight at Worlds.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I think I am almost as excited as Max right now. I told him last week I tho't he could medal & he said he tho't a medal would be nice but I don't think either of us expected it to be gold this year. Excited for Ross too & glad to see Josh can pull his program back together after a fall. We need skaters who can focus & not fall apart after a mistake or two. Glad that Ricky could finish the last part of his free program strongly. And Jason? He is still breathtaking to watch. When he gets a consistent triple axle (& I see it coming in 2013) & a quad he'll become the John Curry of this era! Congratulations to all those who did well!