Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 US Nationals Senior Men LP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    Hate to say this, Max Aaron needs to get a Morozov program...
    Well, noi, don't! Perhaps you're a thrill-seeking troll. God forbid that Morozov even gets near the vicinity of Max Aaron! He's doing fine with Camerlengo and suggestions from Kathy Johnson, and his team can also bring in additional help. Stop putting this kid down!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusNJ View Post
    similar to Miria having to be dragged out of the kiss and cry.....
    I was impressed that one of her coaches (I think Amy Evidente) basically snapped at her "not here, let's go" in a business-like non-emotional tone.

Custom Title
    They certainly shacked Jeremy in the end. Wow. I sorta get it. You don't want to tell the World that your top competitor isn't going to Worlds (Jeremy could beat Ross and Max internationally at 4CC). But that almost reaffirms that Jeremy probably should've been on the World team but/for....

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    ITA. I was sending hugs out to Jeremy too. The gift he possesses can never be taken away. I hope he regroups and figures out what he's going to be able to do for next season. Even without a solid quad, if Jeremy could consistently skate cleanly, his PCS could keep him high in the standings. But Nationals is hard and it takes a lot of energy to compete there in order to try and gain a Worlds spot.

Also, let's break it down. Putting top three Worlds medal contenders aside (Hanyu, Dai, Chan), IMHO Ross Miner is competitive with Javi Fernandez, especially if Javi makes mistakes. In addition, IMHO, both Ross and Max are highly competitive with Takahito Mura, Michal Brezina, Joubert, Amodio, Gachinski, Song, Ten, et al. (I don't believe Kozuka or Oda made it out of their killer Nationals).
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Why on earth is Javier Fernandez not a Worlds medal contender. He has the highest international season's best of 274.87 of all the men so far (http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/...13/sbtsmto.htm) and his SB LP score of 186.97 is 10 points above Yuzuru Hanyu's second-highest international SB LP score. Javi's current international SB is also literally 40 points above Ross Miner's international SB of 235.37. The only way Ross is competitive with Javi is if Javi has a meltdown.
    Thank you.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    But what did he deliver exactly that earned him 79 for program component scores? According to this group of judges, Jeremy is about 1 point per component better than Max Aaron.
    Look at Max's program, and if you can't see mens' highly competitive figure skating content in those programs, well I can't help explain it to you. Sure his PCS were high and are unlikely to be that high at Worlds, but once again ISU judges are known to give out some ridiculously high PCS, as well as inflated TES too. The scoring in figure skating is often one part subjectivity and 3 parts politics or a mixture of same. But first, in order to get great scores, skaters have to deliver the goods.

Max wasn't perfectly flawless on everything, but he landed great quads and triples (perhaps not aesthetically pleasing to your eyes, but are Joubert's, Plush's, and many other skaters' quads all that aesthetically-pleasing?) The mainly gorgeous looking quads I've see have come from Hanyu, Patrick on occasion, Fernandez more consistently -- as well Jeremy's quads have looked beautiful on the rare occasions that he's on with them, and Ross' are not bad-looking either. And in fact, Max is fairly textbook on his quads, he just doesn't have long body lines, so he works with what he's got and that's sure nothing to spit on, IMHO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Why on earth is Javier Fernandez not a Worlds medal contender. He has the highest international season's best of 274.87 of all the men so far (http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/...13/sbtsmto.htm) and his SB LP score of 186.97 is 10 points above Yuzuru Hanyu's second-highest international SB LP score. Javi's current international SB is also literally 40 points above Ross Miner's international SB of 235.37. The only way Ross is competitive with Javi is if Javi has a meltdown.
    Yes, and Javi did have a meltdown at NHK Trophy. That's why it's always important for skaters to concentrate on doing their best and let the chips fall where they may. BTW, I didn't say Javier Fernandez is not a top World medal contender, obviously he is. He's in the top four, as he hasn't yet consistently been in the top three yet at Worlds. His ISU World ranking is also #4. Javi had a good competition at Europeans and that's wonderful for him. I enjoy watching Javi and he's a wonderful competitor. But he hasn't proven to be consistent yet throughout any season. But his win at Europeans should set Javi up for a lot of confidence at Worlds.

Read whatever you wish into my comments, but I'm not saying that Javi isn't a medal contender at Worlds or that it would be easy for lower-ranked guys to beat him, but obviously he isn't unbeatable. Neither are the top three. It's just that if the top three have an off day or make slight mistakes, they clearly tend to still get rewarded by ISU judges.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    They certainly shacked Jeremy in the end. Wow. I sorta get it. You don't want to tell the World that your top competitor isn't going to Worlds (Jeremy could beat Ross and Max internationally at 4CC). But that almost reaffirms that Jeremy probably should've been on the World team but/for....
    Nope, in the end, Jeremy chacked himself, and he knows it, and he's admitted it.

"Wow. I sorta get it." The rest of the World is so used to beating up on U.S. guys who have artistry in spades, but who don't possess technical consistency or have quads in their arsenal, that a possible change in those reliable circumstances will likely take some getting used to.

In 2011, the U.S. men's number one competitor was foolishly not sent to Worlds by .19 points. That result I disagreed with. This year's U.S. men's result I do not disagree with so much. It is what it is. Would I have hoped and expected it to be different, sure. But in this men's competition, I didn't detect any overt favoritism in the final scores of top skaters. I don't agree with the specifics of marks across the board, but among the top guys, the result is not really that similar to what happened in 2011. Both Ross and Jeremy had the opportunity to win, and the judges were definitely willing to give them the marks, which could have knocked Max into second or third. Although, of course, skating after someone who rocks the house and scores a huge number is not a piece of cake. But this is figure skating, it requires guts for glory.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 01-27-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KwanIsALegand View Post
    So Jeremy's season is done, that's it ( assuming he doesn't go to worlds as an alternate) That was pretty cold of the USFSA, wow.
    How do we know that Jeremy isn't interested in getting more therapy for his back and using his time to start thinking about and preparing for next season in order to be healthier?

I do agree that the 6th and 9th place alternate choices are strange. It's too bad that Wesley, Alexander, Keegan, and even Grant and Sean don't have another opportunity to put out their programs this season (even if only in a lighthearted exhibition).

For what it's worth, Max got a 72 in PCS at his senior b (Coupe De Nice) this fall, basically low 7s.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    For what it's worth, Max got a 72 in PCS at his senior b (Coupe De Nice) this fall, basically low 7s.
    And 73 at the US Challenge Classic. I think I overstated the drop in PCS he'd get at Worlds (though I think Senior Bs tend to be scored highly, he could break 70 at Worlds)

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Jesus Christ, Max Aaron and Ross Miner...

Respect to them for landing their jumps but I can't imagine a worse result. Sorry but their skating - that is everything other than jumps - is just extremely boring and mediocre.

The fact Abbott didn't actually skate too badly makes it even more painful.

*goes to cry in a corner*

P.S. There is no way Aaron is going to get 8s if he skates a clean program at Worlds. He'd probably get low 7s (like Kovtun at Euros) at best.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 01-27-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Rinkside
    Alex Johnson's FS is finally up on Youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1AI1fXdiE

I think I'm in love!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Jesus Christ, Max Aaron and Ross Miner...
    With luck they could get third, ninth and thirteenth.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    With luck they could get third, ninth and thirteenth.
    Mathman - good one, LOL!

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Sorry there'll be no Jesus to help out, so get ready for only one spot in Sochi. ;P

Beautiful performance from Alexander Johnson! I really hope this lands him some international assignments next season.

I tried to watch Max Aaron but couldn't finish watching it. It was so boring.... It was like watching the Canadian skater who look like Rachel Flatt.

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast