Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Expected retirements?

Expected retirements?

I think Mirai and Caroline may quit, as poor Jeremy. He's so done. Any other final skates we may have seen?

Alissa Cziny?

Custom Title
    I don't think Mirai will quit, she'll probably stick it out for one more season at least as she's said that she wants to make the Olympic team.

I believe Alissa has also said she intends to come back next season after her injury heals.
    Last edited by evangeline; 01-28-2013 at 12:26 AM.

Banned
    Zhang seems determined. She will plug on for one more year atleast.

Mirai I think will stick it out for atleast 1 more year, and might continue longer depending on alot of factors.

Czisny I think will give one last try to the Olympics then retire, unless she does well enough she feels it is beneficial to come back 1 or 2 more years to try for a World medal/title vs a weakened field.

Abbott is not retiring yet. He is definitely going to try for Sochi. I dont think he will make it, but he will try.

Honestly very few would ever quit a year before the Olympics. I cant think of many who will. Johnny I think will quit, and Evan might well not show up and officialy retire.

As for internationals I think LaCoste might quit, but then again with likely atleast 2 Canadian spots to Sochi, it is too big a chance to pass up. She still has a chance to be 2nd at the Canadians with one of her better skates after all. I think Ando will officialy retire sometime before Sochi. I think Makarova will retire sometime before Sochi, and possibly Leonova as well. Plushenko might retire before Sochi if he senses it is too much to put his body through at this point (aka comes to his senses).

Fumie Suguri...................

Custom Title
    I don't see Makarova or Leonova retiring before Sochi. Why retire when the Olympics are only one year away?

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Fumie Suguri...................
    This video shows she is determined, doesn't seems like quitting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3eeRXliYYE

I said this in another thread but I don't see why Mirai or Caroline would quit and don't believe either would this year regardless- more likely next year if it's coming. Really though, despite how the sport seems to be trying to spit people out, they could both easily have another 4 year cycle in them if they avoid injury. As I've said elsewhere, neither one is 20 yet.

Banned
    Miki is not retiring, she is planning on returning next season with Mororzov again as her coach

Custom Title
    The only potential retiree among those mentioned IMO is Caroline. Being realistic, she has absolutely no shot of making the Sochi team so there's no point in staying one more year. If she enjoys skating then perhaps she may stay beyond 2014 but it depends on what motivates her. As for the others, I agree with PF that with Sochi around the corner they would like to try and get on the Olympic team.

I think all the ones that are currently competing (except maybe Plushenko, for physical reasons) will stick around for one more year. Lacoste, as per her twitter, isn't giving up. The ones like Rachael Flatt, Johnny, and Evan, who aren't currently competing are ones we may see go.

Custom Title
    When Buttle won worlds but quit before the Olympics it really didn't make sense to me so I wouldn't be surprise if one or two of these overlooked athletes quit.

Custom Title
    This is just my opinion, but Jeff KNEW he had skated the skate of his life at Worlds that year and wanted to go out a winner. I don't think he would have won had he stayed for the Olympics. I have no clue who is going to retire. I know who I wish I didn't have to watch again. I know who I wish would just hang up their skates and stop punishing their bodies. Figure Skating is like any sport - when you train most of your life for something, do well but not maybe what your dream was, unless there is a definitive sport-ending injury - they never know when to quit. I really hate to see skaters (football players, baseball players, tennis players etc. etc. etc,) humiliate themselves and have their last memory of their sport be negative!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    This is just my opinion, but Jeff KNEW he had skated the skate of his life at Worlds that year and wanted to go out a winner. I don't think he would have won had he stayed for the Olympics. I have no clue who is going to retire. I know who I wish I didn't have to watch again. I know who I wish would just hang up their skates and stop punishing their bodies. Figure Skating is like any sport - when you train most of your life for something, do well but not maybe what your dream was, unless there is a definitive sport-ending injury - they never know when to quit. I really hate to see skaters (football players, baseball players, tennis players etc. etc. etc,) humiliate themselves and have their last memory of their sport be negative!
    I agree that that's what he felt. However he's a better skater than Evan so if he would have done the same layout, no quad and no mistakes it could have happened since the quad didn't seem to be a big deal then. Plus Mirai, Caroline and Jeremy to a certain degree know that they aren't winning the Olympics either but they still would like to go.

Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    When Buttle won worlds but quit before the Olympics it really didn't make sense to me so I wouldn't be surprise if one or two of these overlooked athletes quit.
    That was two years before the Olympics though, not one. I think most of the skaters will think they might as well stick around with the Olympics being in ONE year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast