Expected retirements? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Expected retirements?

deedee1

Record Breaker
Zhang desperately needs a new coach if she continues. Her team did a great job helping her get more consistent, but she has not made any notable improvements since Nationals last year. I think she's learned all she can from the Oppegards and now she should find a coach who can help her improve her stroking, speed, and choreography.

How about Yuka and Jason? They will be a good fit for Caroline, to improve her shortcomings such as stroking and speed, I think. :yes:
And a sunny side of this coaching change is Caroline has been a fierce competitor and is, say, far from a headcase ;), so that other skaters in their team can learn one thing or two from her, too. :) Look at how much Marchei improved her stroking, spinns, skating skills, posture and such the last two seasons! By practicing with Alissa and Jeremy at the same rink must have helped her a great deal, I believe. As for choreo, no worries my mate, Detroit rink has Pasquale and Anjelika. If they are too busy with other skaters, Massimo Scali is on standby then. :cool:

Olympics is not the be all and end all of skating. Maybe Zhang actually enjoys to skate? She'll probably get an international competition of some kind next season, at least.

Fumie Suguri...................

Nope, she has officially announced she's looking for a sponsor to make it to Sochi.

Yeah, totally lost her marbles. It's really sad. :/

Miki is not retiring, she is planning on returning next season with Mororzov again as her coach

Source?

From what I know, their break-up was far from amicable.

I agree that that's what he felt. However he's a better skater than Evan so if he would have done the same layout, no quad and no mistakes it could have happened since the quad didn't seem to be a big deal then.

Lysacek was always consistent, Buttle not so much.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You may or may not notice a couple of posts disappeared. We do not allow psychiatric diagnostic posts about other posters or about skaters.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Olympics is not the be all and end all of skating. Maybe Zhang actually enjoys to skate? She'll probably get an international competition of some kind next season, at least.

Nope, she has officially announced she's looking for a sponsor to make it to Sochi.

Yeah, totally lost her marbles. It's really sad. :/

Source?

From what I know, their break-up was far from amicable.

Lysacek was always consistent, Buttle not so much.

It wasn't until the end Lysacek was consistent and if the judging was fair and what we are seeing now Buttle could make a mistake or two and win on pcs.

noskates

Record Breaker
I agree with Skater Boy in that Lysacek was NOT always consistent. I'll just go back to what I said earlier - I wish some of these elite skaters (Lysacek, Czisny, Plushenko, etc.) would know when to quit and just enjoy what they've accomplished in the past. In addition to participating in a very, very expensive sport, I feel that sometimes they take the place of younger, healthier skaters based on their laurels and not necessarily based on their ability to still compete. Then the fans chime in with their loyalties and memories of these skaters in their prime - again, not realistic. Then the federations keep hoping for returns to glory and medals and the whole thing gets skewed. I would question the return of anyone whose training is disrupted by injuries and surgeries and stops and starts.

And as always - the ice is slippery!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
My 2 cents about retired skaters returning? I think a big factor is the belief they can still make their National teams. Plushenko may have been pressured by his federation & as far as Weir & Lysacek go, I think they both probably felt they could still compete & win against Abbott. Now I'd be very surprised if Johnny attempted another comeback after seeing the talent & toughness of the young American skaters last weekend. As for Evan, it depends on how consistent his quad would be. Don't compare him to the Lysacek who won '10 Olympics. He learned a lot about dance & style on Dancing with the Stars.